Which three former players would you sign in this window (if you could)?

John

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Barry was a 6 more than an 8 though 

Petrov was the deeper one in the combination.

Barry on the ball with likes of Coutinho and Buendia ahead would be breathtaking. Young's form dipped after he left as we couldn't quite get the ball as quickly to him out wide as Barry could.

McGrath, Barry, Benteke. It actually hurts my heart to see Benteke as this run of the mill PL striker who is a bit part player for Crystal Palace, he was a beast for us. It’s a shame we were so badly run back then and couldn’t afford to build a top class team around him. He should be our all time PL top goal scorer rather than that fat p**** on TalkSPORT.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Barry on the ball with likes of Coutinho and Buendia ahead would be breathtaking. Young's form dipped after he left as we couldn't quite get the ball as quickly to him out wide as Barry could.

But that was because O'Neill was a clown. Barry was never an 8 not at England, City or when Liverpool tried to buy him. Reo Coker was more of an 8 than Barry. Barry engine wasn't the greatest 

12 hours ago, TRO said:

The European cup winners was a team......and a bloody good one.

In my humble opinion, the 3 players I chose, individually could have featured in that side......maybe not all at once, because that may have destabilised the team.....but each one could have featured in that great team.

Its all about balance and TEAM coordination, not just  individuals......sure the game is about individuals, but they have to blend in to a team...is my point.

We won the European cup, but not many featured strongly in the England team........work that one out.

There was a lot of competition for places and like at the present, the England manager was a "yes" man, that had his favourites and the Villa players were not among those. The Belfast Celt who brought... - Belfast Celtic Society | Facebook

• Like 1

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Good combination.

Thats what those creative players need, behind them.

Lets hope Kamara, is one of them.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, John said:

There was a lot of competition for places and like at the present, the England manager was a "yes" man, that had his favourites and the Villa players were not among those. The Belfast Celt who brought... - Belfast Celtic Society | Facebook

I also think John, our players played in a durable team, workman like and hard to beat, but not eye catching, like Ipswich was.....sure we had creative players, but by and large it was a staunch team....no frills, but effective.

when they pick England teams, ( generally speaking)they all want twinkle toes types in there.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, John said:

Ahhh yes, Southgate's real father! 😂

Edited by nick76
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Woody1000 said:

McGrath, Barry, Benteke. It actually hurts my heart to see Benteke as this run of the mill PL striker who is a bit part player for Crystal Palace, he was a beast for us. It’s a shame we were so badly run back then and couldn’t afford to build a top class team around him. He should be our all time PL top goal scorer rather than that fat p**** on TalkSPORT.

Yes, it was a pity that Randy chose to stop funding proper transfers back then, but Benteke was looking to leave us from the end of his first season at Villa Park and considered us a stepping stone to Spurs or Liverpool. He was top notch when he was with us and was good enough to make the Belgium team, since leaving us he has been proof that the grass is not always greener elsewhere. 

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

I also think John, our players played in a durable team, workman like and hard to beat, but not eye catching, like Ipswich was.....sure we had creative players, but by and large it was a staunch team....no frills, but effective.

when they pick England teams, ( generally speaking)they all want twinkle toes types in there.

Agreed, but it's still astounding that players like Dennis Mortimer and Gary Shaw (whose toes did twinkle;)) were never capped, and Tony Morley only got 6 caps. and Gordon Cowans 8 (when he was playing for us). 

Edited by John
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, John said:

Yes, it was a pity that Randy chose to stop funding proper transfers back then, but Benteke was looking to leave us from the end of his first season at Villa Park and considered us a stepping stone to Spurs or Liverpool. He was top notch when he was with us and was good enough to make the Belgium team, since leaving us he has been proof that the grass is not always greener elsewhere. 

He was found out at Liverpool....Klopp was critical of his movement......Top strikers need to move, Peter Withe recently said (when asked what his secret was) "I took up room, where the centre half wasn't"

Andy Weimann did the running for Benteke.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, John said:

Agreed, but it's still astounding that players like Dennis Mortimer and Gary Shaw (whose toes did twinkle;)) were never capped, and Tony Morley only got 6 caps. and Gordon Cowans 8 (when he was playing for us). 

when you look at the squad Greenwood chose Mills and Anderson over Swain; took Corrigan over Rimmer; Rix over Sid; an injured Brooking over Mortimer (brooking a good player without doubt but we were also taking an injured keegan); and Coppell over Morley. A side that was the best in europe was deemed good enough to only supply 1 player at that World Cup for England. ****. I hate Greenwood almost as much as Italy for knowking out that Brazil side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peterw said:

when you look at the squad Greenwood chose Mills and Anderson over Swain; took Corrigan over Rimmer; Rix over Sid; an injured Brooking over Mortimer (brooking a good player without doubt but we were also taking an injured keegan); and Coppell over Morley. A side that was the best in europe was deemed good enough to only supply 1 player at that World Cup for England. ****. I hate Greenwood almost as much as Italy for knowking out that Brazil side.

& remember the FA turned these two down to give him the job:rolleyes::

Ranked! EVERY England manager from worst to best | FourFourTwo The Wit, Wisdom and Genius of Brian Clough | FOOTY FAIR 

2 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

If you didn't choose

Frank Barson

Billy Walker

Pongo Waring

then you are wrong.

(Am I doing this right?)

I think they all played over fifty years ago, so would have just missed out, as did Gerry Hitchens, Peter McParland and Eric Houghton:)

6 minutes ago, John said:

I think they all played over fifty years ago, so would have just missed out, as did Gerry Hitchens, Peter McParland and Eric Houghton:)

WHAT??

A time limit?

spacer.png

• Like 1

Â