New Assistant Manager 2022

ender4

1 minute ago, useless said:

Assistant managers take training sessions all the time, that's their job, and of course the players are going to have praised him to the max, they will do the same to whoever we bring in to replace him.

"First time in my career" Emi said. Where a guy not the manager was so at the forefront.

Emi has been in England for 10+ years and played for about 7 clubs so he's been around.

Gerrard liked him and rated him, this is far from an ideal scenario is my point.

• Like 2

Not convinced by the suggestion that Gerrard would promote either Danks or McPhee to assistant. They were both Smith hires and Gerrard's only been working with them for ~6 months.

I have no doubt he'll have known Beale leaving was coming. Beale said in his QPR interview that "it's been a long time coming" and that he was "waiting for the right project". I think Gerrard will already have a few names in mind.

5 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

If this is the case, What was the point of Alex Ferguson?

I’ve told this story before, so I won’t make it long. Many years ago my Dad took a load of school kids to BMH, Ron Saunders was the manager. Brian Little was the first person Dad bumped into and he took Dad to meet Ron Saunders who was in his office. They then went outside and  Ron stopped training and got them to play a match for the kids. My point is Saunders wasn’t taking training and this was back in the 70s.

I believe that the club was aware from day one that Mike Beale had ambitions to step up to be a head coach/manager at some point. The time scale may even haves been known. If that’s the case then knowing how the club is run now, I’d doubt that we haven’t already got candidates lined up. I’m sure Beale is an excellent coach but he’s surely not irreplaceable. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

If what is the case?

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

How anyone can watch this and not think this is very bad for us blows my mind.

This guy led training every single day. Taking meetings! :lol:

What's the point of Gerrard again? To attract players? Hope he can attract a very very good coach as well.

There’s been plenty of extremely successful Managers that don’t take even training, Gerrard actually participates in training though, Beale brought ideas to the table , tactics and some training ideas, what’s worrying about that? What would be the point of an assistant if the head coach did all the work on the training ground ?  To hand bibs out and tell the lads to run around the pitch 5 times? 

3 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

There’s been plenty of extremely successful Managers that don’t take even training, Gerrard actually participates in training though, Beale brought ideas to the table , tactics and some training ideas, what’s worrying about that? What would be the point of an assistant if the head coach did all the work on the training ground ?  To hand bibs out and tell the lads to run around the pitch 5 times? 

Hopefully he finds someone else he trusts to lead every training session and team meeting.

• Haha 1

This recruitment could be difficult. If it’s true Beale was responsible for everything from daily coaching and developing the team’s style to tactics and gameplans, we need to hire someone who more or less is a head coach.

But that person won’t get the title or money that goes with such an important position. Instead the new person will be expected to stand in the background.

Always hard to call with stuff like this, so many coaches that aren't widely known so there's no obvious names you can point to. 

Saw Mike Garrity get mentioned by a couple of folk which could be a shout. Had an interesting career path of working at Molde and with China under Lippi and Cannavaro in between his current role as assistant of Blackpool and early work at Liverpool alongside a certain Michael Beale.

Ian Cathro is out of work as well and has always been a well-regarded assistant. He's largely worked under Nuno Espirito Santo though so might just follow him into his next role. Would have worked with MacPhee previously also so there could be some kind of link there.

Edited by Indigo

Do people ever think that Gerrard had a lot of trust in Beale, hence why he allowed him to take a lot of the training etc.

Its Gerard’s style of play and how he wants the team to play. I’m sure there’s a list of 3-4 names of potential asst managers to come in who suit Gerrards style and will fit into the coaching team.

Beale was rumoured to be close to leaving prior to Gerrards appointment at Villa, everyone knew this was coming and the club have the next asst manager ready in the wings once they negotiate their terms/release.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I'll leave it to SG to worry about.......I have no idea about Assistant managers.

The whole assistant thing seems pretty overhyped to me tbh. I never quite understood the jizzfest that followed Beale. Gerrard is literally the manager…

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Spoony said:

The whole assistant thing seems pretty overhyped to me tbh. I never quite understood the jizzfest that followed Beale. Gerrard is literally the manager…

I remember when Buvac left Liverpool and it was the end of Klopp.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, useless said:

I see Salifou has been taking his coaching badges, it's said that whilst with us and playing for reserves he played a big part in some of our young players at the time such as Bannan, Albrighton, Clark, Baker, Weimann, and so onl, a sort of player coach/mentor type figure. Apparently still in touch with Ashley Young as well.

Is he actually taking his badges or are you on a windup?

He did an interview a few months back where he said he's taking his badges and is still in contact with Ashley Young, Reo-Coker, and Isaiah Osbourne. Not sure how Salifou taking his badges would be any different, or any more likely to wind people up, than any other ex-footballer taking them.