New Assistant Manager 2022

ender4

11 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

How about michael carrick? Was getting rave reviews at united before he left them

Worries me how poorly coached the Man Utd team looked to ever consider him.  Players may have loved him but those players looked like they’d never played together before on the pitch which a huge part to do with coaching.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Worries me how poorly coached the Man Utd team looked to ever consider him.  Players may have loved him but those players looked like they’d never played together before on the pitch which a huge part to do with coaching.

I’ve got no idea at all about his coaching ability mate, but UTD have been a basket case club for a decade now. Not entirely sure much can be taken from his time there. 

6 minutes ago, av1 said:

I’ve got no idea at all about his coaching ability mate, but UTD have been a basket case club for a decade now. Not entirely sure much can be taken from his time there. 

It’s the only gig he’s really had so it’s hard to judge him otherwise.  Assistant Manager who runs the coaching sessions is a massive role at Villa, I’m not sure we should be taking risks.  No disrespect to Carrick but I’m hoping we will attract a top notch coach with a bit better record.

Edited by nick76

Just now, nick76 said:

It’s the only gig he’s really had so it’s hard to judge him otherwise.  Assistant Manager who runs the coaching sessions is a massive role at Villa, I’m not sure we should taking risks.  No disrespect to Carrick but I’m hoping we will attract a top notch coach with a bit better record.

I agree mate. 

I think this will be resolved quickly, you’d imagine QPR would have made contact sometime ago so the club/Gerrard has probably known about this for weeks. 

52 minutes ago, nick76 said:

When carrick was temporary in charge they looked half decent. They just had some pretty crap managers.

33 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Stevie G is never going to appoint someone to work alongside him with a Manure connection.

If he was managing liverpool yes but why would we care at villa?

As long as he is a xeclkent coach and can improve us i couldnt care less where he came from.

We have even had ex blosers be assistant manager (clemence)

Edited by Demitri_C

8 hours ago, Spoony said:

The whole assistant thing seems pretty overhyped to me tbh. I never quite understood the jizzfest that followed Beale. Gerrard is literally the manager…

The assistant bit, is the clue.......They Mirror exactly what the manager wants, else they wouldn't be there.....SG probably cut him some slack, but thats about it.

Tony Barton was a good assistant to Ron S......and when Ron Left, Tony just carried on as normal and the rest is history.

We'll be ok.

Managers these days are overseers, because there is too much to do, with the media taking up so much time.....but they take the responsibility for results, the assistants don't get pressure from outside the club.

The big money, is paid for the responsibility.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, QldVilla said:

Do people ever think that Gerrard had a lot of trust in Beale, hence why he allowed him to take a lot of the training etc.

Its Gerard’s style of play and how he wants the team to play. I’m sure there’s a list of 3-4 names of potential asst managers to come in who suit Gerrards style and will fit into the coaching team.

Beale was rumoured to be close to leaving prior to Gerrards appointment at Villa, everyone knew this was coming and the club have the next asst manager ready in the wings once they negotiate their terms/release.

He will know, who is best to suit his needs......Its more to do with suitability, than technical ability....but I guess both are ideal.

SG sets the tone, the policy, the style and the make up......coaches do as they are told, in a fundamental way.....They work together every day, so relationships are inevitably paramount, in the whole scheme of things.

sure its good to have one with opinions, to use as a sounding board.....but the manager carries the can, so has the final word....its his reputation at stake.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Spoony said:

The whole assistant thing seems pretty overhyped to me tbh. I never quite understood the jizzfest that followed Beale. Gerrard is literally the manager…

Its like buying a car, and looking at the engine first......most of us look at the body work and style, its natural to do that

but the engine does all the work, so does the coaches, but we don't get to see the mundane work, which is fundamental to the teams success.

Apart from putting 2 and 2 together on match day....... we have no idea what the coaches do or don't do.

I just take it as.....if the manager sticks with them, they must be ok.

Edited by TRO

34 minutes ago, TRO said:

we have no idea what the coaches do or don't do.

We know that Beale managed and organised the coaching sessions because Gerrard told us that from the outset.  Without knowing more, we know he was thus integral to what we do because of that snippet of information.

Fergie had a million different coaches and assistants in his time at United. Gerrard was always going to lose Beale. I think his importance was more in Gerrards early days when he lacked experience. He's had 4 years now as Manager and can surely appoint a new coach who can bring some new ideas to the table. 

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

We know that Beale managed and organised the coaching sessions because Gerrard told us that from the outset.  Without knowing more, we know he was thus integral to what we do because of that snippet of information.

Emi said that Beale did a lot of things the manager would normally do and hadn't experienced that in an assistant before. He implied it was more like Beale was the manager and Gerrard was his assistant. 

Maybe Gerrard will step up now he has 4 years of observing Beale. But I'd prefer a top class assistant over that scenario. 

Edited by Made In Aston

12 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Emi said that Beale did a lot of things the manager would normally do and hadn't experienced that in an assistant before. He implied it was more like Beale was the manager and Gerrard was his assistant. 

Maybe Gerrard will step up now he has 4 years of observing Beale. But I'd prefer a top class assistant over that scenario. 

We don’t exactly know what the dynamic is on the training field or behind closed doors in the offices at Bodymoor Heath. But I would say it would be highly unusual that the assistant calls the shots and the manager is secondary to his own assistant, that would by a highly dysfunctional set up in any organisation. 

I would say more realistically Gerrard simply delegates out the training sessions to the assistant and the players pick up on this as they spend more time on the training pitch with the staff than anywhere else. I don’t see that as an issue or anything unusual, some managers are more hands on on the training pitch than others.  In that scenario we simply bring in another high quality coach and Gerrard just delegates out exactly the same responsibilities on the training field, not an issue.

In terms of tactical planning etc of course his assistant will likely feed in to the ideas but as the main manager the final responsibility lies with Gerrard - whether Beale is providing supporting input or if it’s someone else’s voice, the decisions are still ultimately Gerrard’s. 

If we do have a backwards set up where the manager isn’t really the manager, which sounds completely bizarre to me, then really the sooner that set up gets cleansed out the better.

Bloke looks like an alternate Universe Paul Lambert.

Him having been a " successful " manager in the lower leagues is a bonus I guess?

OBS also known to SG

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN