Calvin Bassey

Wes

Just now, Awol said:

Going to Ajax according to Romano. Surprised as I thought he’d end up in England.

Be interesting to see how he does there. I think we wanted him but asking price too high

Seems to be really keen to go there aswell, would have been a decent signing with potential to improve a lot but we already have decent options and a good crop of youth coming through some im not as upset as missing out on this one

It died on it's arse because Dutch clubs didn't want it, which is a good thing because if every anything had a Monkey's Paw/be careful what you wish for vibe then it's merging leagues to benefit a few clubs who have managed to bleed their domestic league dry.   If it did happen then clubs like Villa could look forwards to finishing below Celtic and Rangers in a rebranded Premier League within a decade.  

2 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

It died on it's arse because Dutch clubs didn't want it, which is a good thing because if every anything had a Monkey's Paw/be careful what you wish for vibe then it's merging leagues to benefit a few clubs who have managed to bleed their domestic league dry.   If it did happen then clubs like Villa could look forwards to finishing below Celtic and Rangers in a rebranded Premier League within a decade.  

They would have lost a lot of European spots as well which put teams off

Yep, because UEFA aren't stupid and know that if two leagues merge, then more leagues merge and then you get a European Super League.   Most of the people who are for this sort of thing are either "new" fans of uberclubs who know they'll be at the top table, or people who can't see two steps ahead of any change.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

they're still at a nett spend of around 40m and haven't sold Anthony yet

they've banked around 200m from transfers in the last 4 years

yeah but its not really the Ajax way to spend such big money on players

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

they're still at a nett spend of around 40m and haven't sold Anthony yet

they've banked around 200m from transfers in the last 4 years

Pal please, you can’t talk about net spend. It’s not relevant. One of the worst things in football etc etc

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Pal please, you can’t talk about net spend. It’s not relevant. One of the worst things in football etc etc

in terms of performance its not relevant because its used to skew the value of the players that are still there, ajax dominating the dutch league is a perfect example of that, they have a negative nett spend yet they still spend more money than anyone else in the league by an absolute distance 

in terms of how can a team afford to spend so much on a transfer of course it is, they've replaced a player they sold for 57m with a player they bought for 20m, the comment was with regards to the 20m, my response was they have the money, they should have a lot of money

• 2 weeks later...

With the caveat that I've never actually watched the guy play, I recall a lot of the chatter/articles on his breakthrough campaign last year skewered very heavily towards his recovery speed and not a great deal else. Whilst I'm not knocking having that ability, is it too simplistic to suggest that the context behind that implies one too many mistakes in the first place (prevention better than cure and all that)?

Again, heavy caveat; never seen him play, he could be Baresi for all I know, just having a bad day at the office.

A hilarious, very bad day at the office.

Edited by GarethRDR

Â