Luis Suarez

maqroll

4 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I'd prefer someone younger, plenty of early 20s strikers out there who could potentially be 15-20 goal a season PL strikers. Yes they'd be going for 40m+ but we've already brought in one free transfer, I'm sure we have plenty of transfer funds to spend on a ST, another CM and a CB, particularly if we move some players on.

It just stinks a bit of lazy scouting (as he's played with Gerrard before) and too much short-term thinking. I was on board with Coutinho because we were desperately lacking creativity and Coutinho was still only 29 but I don't want us overloading our squad with former superstar players in their 30s looking for their last pay cheque, Everton did a similar thing and look where they are now. 

Kamara was a great start to the window, we need to continue looking at those types of players who are already at a high level and will continue to improve. Not ageing superstars. 

We can sign both you know?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

It just stinks a bit of lazy scouting (as he's played with Gerrard before) and too much short-term thinking. I was on board with Coutinho because we were desperately lacking creativity and Coutinho was still only 29 but I don't want us overloading our squad with former superstar players in their 30s looking for their last pay cheque, Everton did a similar thing and look where they are now. 

I think this is a real concern if it was a pattern, we shouldn't be aiming for boom or bust, but it's clear there's an increased urgency for us to get into Europe before the likes of West Ham or Newcastle establish themselves in that group of regular european competitors. 

We don't seem to be going all in, the Kamara signing is a clear investment into the future, but adding some experience and quality to push us up in the short term isn't such a bad thing, as long as it's sustainable and we don't get to the point in 2-3 years where we have a bunch of pensioners on the books that can't do 90 minutes.

As it stands, next season we'll have 4 30 year olds in our first 11, Coutinho, Martinez, Ings and Mings, I don't think this one signing is likely to push us too far, personally. 

27 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm guessing this would be a Cavani at Man U type signing?

Cambiasso at Leicester etc?

As I've said, known nothing about him bar highlights for the past year or so, but some of the comments have me worried.

I'm more concerned about his ability to play and his wages, not bothered about people calling him a test as this is subjective and I know we love to hold a grudge.

The positive would be that our young lads and current strikers still have a chance. They might gut learn from him as well.

Some of the chances Ollie and Danny miss Suarez would burry,  He won’t start each game but would bring that winning mentality and yes as you say would be a positive to work with the young lads. People worry about pace but the premier league is no longer about pace we don’t see Dalian Atkinson or Ryan Giggs type goals anymore.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I see no sense in this when it would just limit the game time of our hottest prospect in cameron archer

Or comes in to mentor him. We need a player with his experience, gamesmanship and his willingness to do anything to win. How many of our players would have saved the goal against Ghana in the world Cup in 2010? If he didn't it's a guaranteed loss. He gave his team the chance to win. He's a filthy diver but he's one of the best in the game. He knows how to hack players and get away with it.

He's a master of the dark arts and a bastard to play against. He's exactly what we need. 

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Hopefully we keep Young around for another season so he's got company at the bingo hall. 

I’ve got this weird image in my head of Ash and Luis with glasses on trying to read the bingo sheet now 😂😂😂

2 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Some of the chances Ollie and Danny miss Suarez would burry,  He won’t start each game but would bring that winning mentality and yes as you say would be a positive to work with the young lads. People worry about pace but the premier league is no longer about pace we don’t see Dalian Atkinson or Ryan Giggs type goals anymore.

According to XG Ings has done better than him this season and he has just outperformed Watkins in a weaker league. Suarez 10.95,Watkins 11.50 with both getting 11 goals 

Ings on 6.56 for his 7 goals

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

We're not going to sign 2 strikers when we already have Ings and Watkins on the books, unless one of them gets moved on and even then we'd be somewhat overloaded in the striker department. 

Not if we play with a front two.

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

According to XG Ings has done better than him this season and he has just outperformed Watkins in a weaker league. Suarez 10.95,Watkins 11.50 with both getting 11 goals 

Doesn't help when our strikers never get the shot off in the one on one. 

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Where are you getting these xG stats?

4 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

This narrative about Suarez not missing chances is based on the past, these days he misses about as many chances as an average big 5 league striker.

Even if few goals are scored after players make long sprints, being explosive is still important. 

2 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

So.

TheTrees says private flight from Madrid lands at 1.10pm today. It's like the good old days again. Tracking flights is Prime VT.

Surely if this is the same jet, then its pretty nailed on. 

Whilst I'm not massively in favour of this, I can see the logic. 

Free transfer, experienced winning mentality that Gerrard wants, excellent goals record, won't necessarily start loads but brings something different vs Watkins, Ings (and maybe Archer who I could see us keeping around the first team). 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

Whilst I'm not massively in favour of this, I can see the logic. 

Free transfer, experienced winning mentality that Gerrard wants, excellent goals record, won't necessarily start loads but brings something different vs Watkins, Ings (and maybe Archer who I could see us keeping around the first team). 

Yeah that's pretty much where I am too. 

I'd also be OK with shipping both Ings & Watkins for a new striker along with bringing in Suarez and having Archer as 3rd choice.

Â