Luis Suarez

maqroll

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Surely if this is the same jet, then its pretty nailed on. 

I don't think it's confirmed the same Jet. He works at the airport so keeps an eye on late-notice private jets getting booked into BHX and where they're coming from.

Think it's just noted the company often works with footballers and that it's coming from somewhere where a player we're linked to is based. Very much adding 2+2 together rather than it being a solid ITK

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah that's pretty much where I am too. 

I'd also be OK with shipping both Ings & Watkins for a new striker along with bringing in Suarez and having Archer as 3rd choice.

There's no way we will ship Watkins and nor should we. If someone would give us our money back for Ings I'd probably take it, but equally he's a good footballer with pedigree who could hit form.

Good strikers are expensive and hard to come by. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

There's no way we will ship Watkins and nor should we. If someone would give us our money back for Ings I'd probably take it, but equally he's a good footballer with pedigree who could hit form.

SG himself has said, and it's been reported the we have ZERO interest in letting Ollie go.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Condimentalist said:

I see no way it will happen but equally I think Watkins is terrible on the ball. I like his workrate so nothing really against him but our attacks break down with him on the ball and with Coutinho & Buendia I feel the idea is that we want to have possession rather than counter.

Ings is also OK but not sure I want him as a starter or a 3rd choice so where does signing Suarez leave him?  And if we want a new first choice striker it will cost money that will need to come from somewhere.

47 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

This narrative about Suarez not missing chances is based on the past, these days he misses about as many chances as an average big 5 league striker.

Even if few goals are scored after players make long sprints, being explosive is still important. 

I'm sure he misses his far share, but Ollie and Ings are missing sitters my granny could score.  I'd be interested to see Suarez play with Watkins up front, I think Watkins runs would create a lot of space for a player like Suarez to exploit, so he wouldn't necessarily need pace to get into scoring positions. 

He has 43.5 million instragram followers.  Nearly double that of Coutinho. 

If nothing else this signing is massive for the clubs profile. 

edit: to put this in to context Jack has 4.5m.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Welcome to the club Luis Suarez!

Great signing. Someone to put the ball in the back of the net and fire us into the top 8/Europe. Ronaldo still doing at Man United hes 37. Suarez would be an amazing signing

Edited by messi11
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

Yeah Ings has done well in every department bar scoring more. Both himself and Watkins have missed as many big chances as they have scored according to the Premier League site. We know Ings is better than this in front of goal and has proven it so of he hits form he'll be superb for us now he has developed a good relationship with Watkins.

6 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Welcome to the club Luis Suarez!

Great signing. Someone to put the ball in the back of the net and fire us into the top 8/Europe. Ronaldo still doing at Man United hes 37. Suarez would be an amazing signing

It’s not that close yet. He has several offers.

14 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

If we intend to sign a striker it could make sense to let Ings go. Especially if Gerrard plans to play one up top. Ings is a lovely player but has previously been better with a strike partner -- at Burnley, Southampton and lately also at Villa.

I think we need 4 Strikers so 3 plus Archer. Gerrard will swap between one 10 and two 10s depending on opposition etc.. next season so we need at least one more Striker signed. 

My problem with Suarez from a purely footballing perspective is that the club already has a bunch of strikers who all have good aspects to their game but just aren't quite doing the business overall - Watkins, Ings, Davis, etc.

If we're going on past form then I don't really see *that* much difference between Ings and Suarez. Both are proven goalscorers (depite Ings missing a bunch of chances recently) but Gerrard seems to prefer Watkins to Ings due to his athleticism. Is Suarez going to be the best of both worlds? I doubt it. Feels like we'll just have two poacher-style strikers sat on the bench not playing that much while we watch Watkins stumble around like a drunkard week in week out.

And the age thing is a concern. Best case scenario is we get a couple of years out of him - but it's quite possible he arrives here and is deeply average while on big wages for a couple of years. The problem with that is that we've actually got quite a strong squad on paper these days (especially since we signed Kamara) so I feel like we should be throwing money at a marquee signing in the positions we're still lacking. I'm no scout but I can't believe 35 year old Suarez is literally the best striker available to us in the market.

Edited by Panto_Villan
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

so I feel like we should be throwing money at a marquee signing in the positions we're still lacking.

He’d be free, so even with his wages taken into account for a couple of years would be cheaper than some untested £20m young striker.  Plus marquee signing? Who said we could only have one?  We already have Kamara locked in as one, arguably Coutinho, then add Suarez and we’ve only spent £17m on fees.  So we still have money to spend on another marquee signing.  Yes we have to watch the wage bill but given the rumours Coutinho is on £125k per week, we aren’t getting in too deep.

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

Some of the chances Ollie and Danny miss Suarez would burry,  He won’t start each game but would bring that winning mentality and yes as you say would be a positive to work with the young lads. People worry about pace but the premier league is no longer about pace we don’t see Dalian Atkinson or Ryan Giggs type goals anymore.

You make a good point, defenders often get better as they age in their reading of the game.

So too forwards, composure and experience improves. Pretty certain Suarez would have buried the chances Ings missed against Spurs and many others he and Watkins have missed.

I wouldn't expect Suarez to start every game...

Â