Luis Suarez

maqroll

I’ve said how I feel about him a few months back, but it is what it is. Like I said I had to back Terry when we signed him and he’s no different. It’ll take me time to come around to it at first. Not disputing his playing quality though.

26 minutes ago, Rodders said:

This idea that only words removed with word removed personalities are capable of giving the side some bite is just such a horseshit argument designed to exculpate arseholes on the grounds, well 'they have talent so let's not worry about the rest'. It shows a complete lack of imagination to decide no other option than an expensive 30 something git with a penchant for embarrassing himself is the only person who can fill this attacking support role. 

You can be hard, without being a word removed.

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I would rather not tarnish the club with another piece of shit. Watching Terry for a season wasnt comfortable either 

Better more mobile players available 

Are there? Like who?

Since he was banned for biting Chiellini he's had no issues at Barca or Atletico. Not had a red card or a ban. Seems like he has grown up and not doing the stupid things he did when he was younger. 

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’d be happy with this as long as it’s just one of many new big signings. If he’s still fit he is still quality. Cant really see the harm in a 1 year deal.

I'm in this boat.  It'll be a 1 year deal, to put himself in the frame for the World Cup mid season, then he's off to MLS in summer 2023.

• Like 1

I'm guessing this would be a Cavani at Man U type signing?

Cambiasso at Leicester etc?

As I've said, known nothing about him bar highlights for the past year or so, but some of the comments have me worried.

I'm more concerned about his ability to play and his wages, not bothered about people calling him a test as this is subjective and I know we love to hold a grudge.

The positive would be that our young lads and current strikers still have a chance. They might gut learn from him as well.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Are there? Like who?

If it has to be an experienced player then Dries Mertens would be a better option as he is on a free and can still actually move unlike Suarez. Belotti also

If not I would prefer Archer having game time or Keinan Davis 

Cross this bridge when we get there but if we do sign him we can at least put this " want's to play like Liverpool" rubbish to rest because the amount of high pressing and winning back the ball early will be next to zero in a team featuring bot Suarez & Coutinho. They have other qualities of course but high energy press ain't one.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm guessing this would be a Cavani at Man U type signing?

Cambiasso at Leicester etc?

As I've said, known nothing about him bar highlights for the past year or so, but some of the comments have me worried.

I'm more concerned about his ability to play and his wages, not bothered about people calling him a test as this is subjective and I know we love to hold a grudge.

The positive would be that our young lads and current strikers still have a chance. They might gut learn from him as well.

He is far from them levels. Atletico gave him 10 minutes against City a game they were desperately looking for attacking inspiration

They also struggled at times to break relegation teams down and Suarez was hardly called upon. He was probably the only recognised striker at the club as well

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

If it has to be an experienced player then Dries Mertens would be a better option as he is on a free and can still actually move unlike Suarez. Belotti also

If not I would prefer Archer having game time or Keinan Davis 

I don't think Mertens is any more mobile than Suarez, and they have the same amount of goals. Belotti has less goals than both

Archer might not be ready and Davis isn't good enough.

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

He is far from them levels. Atletico gave him 10 minutes against City a game they were desperately looking for attacking inspiration

They also struggled at times to break relegation teams down and Suarez was hardly called upon. He was probably the only recognised striker at the club as well

Despite this he is Atletico second top scorer in the league with 11 goals, 1 behind their top scorer who has 12.  Perhaps the issue isn't Suarez but they way Atletico play?

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I thought he fell out with the manager ?

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Despite this he is Atletico second top scorer in the league with 11 goals, 1 behind their top scorer who has 12.  Perhaps the issue isn't Suarez but they way Atletico play?

He scored more last season though and played less games in the same style 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I thought he fell out with the manager ?

He might have but he has played nearly every game this season in the league he just doesn't start anymore 

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He might have but he has played nearly every game this season in the league he just doesn't start anymore 

Right, so he's an effective threat coming off the bench?  There 2nd top scorer playing mainly as a sub, sounds like what we need.

Ings and Watkins missing sitters? Bring on Suarez.  Chasing a goal? Bring on Suarez. 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Only 20 starts for Suarez though. 

I'm not saying he is someone to lead the line for 38 games but he'd be a good option. We need a more clinical and nastier presence up front

I'd prefer someone younger, plenty of early 20s strikers out there who could potentially be 15-20 goal a season PL strikers. Yes they'd be going for 40m+ but we've already brought in one free transfer, I'm sure we have plenty of transfer funds to spend on a ST, another CM and a CB, particularly if we move some players on.

It just stinks a bit of lazy scouting (as he's played with Gerrard before) and too much short-term thinking. I was on board with Coutinho because we were desperately lacking creativity and Coutinho was still only 29 but I don't want us overloading our squad with former superstar players in their 30s looking for their last pay cheque, Everton did a similar thing and look where they are now. 

Kamara was a great start to the window, we need to continue looking at those types of players who are already at a high level and will continue to improve. Not ageing superstars. 

Â