vs Man Utd in Perth (July 23rd)

Not good but whatever. Rocket up arse at half time. That said just don't want any injuries from this horrendous pitch. Don't actually care about the scoreline too much!

Edited by birdman

Just now, Rolta said:

The weather and pitch is shocking and neither team should be playing in it.

Have you seen where the subs are sitting on deck chairs without a dugout?! 

• Haha 1

Wingers?

shall we try width. We seem to have one plan, everyone collect in the middle of the pitch and hope for an overlap. Its slow, its not great, however its pre season and we are playing in a swamp so ill give them the benefit of the doubt

Both teams at the same stage of pre-season… Man Utd just looked sharper and fitter. Villa look lethargic and keep giving the ball away and have no idea how to attack. Can’t play like this when the season starts!

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

It's pre-season, it's not a disaster, but I think the manager needs to learn some things from that half.

Some of these are things he's clearly not learned since November.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Icarium said:

I know you shouldn't read too much into friendlies, but this is depressingly familiar

Yep and some people think we can get 7th.  We are fighting for a top ten 10 place with what we have. 

As I’ve said before, I’m concerned about our attacking play or lack of it.  Doesn’t help when we concede cheap goals as well. SG has a lot of work to do and this preseason was supposed to be when that happened, I’m a little concerned.

4 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Good thing we bought a Champions League quality DM...  You'd never notice it, though.  

That's what I mean though. He's out there looking ponderous and getting dispossessed for fun. 

We manage to turn decent players into chumps, I don't fully understand it, we've had 2 different head coaches and 3 different people leading the training sessions in 2 years. A huge pool of CMs and different combos in that time too. Same shit midfield.

This is horrendous. Can't defend despite adding Carlos and Kamara and still can't attack. Can't pass and move and constantly lump it upfield.

Gerrard looks more and more like a poor manager but it's evident we also haven't done enough in the transfer window which I've said all along. 

What another awful season we've got to look forward to by the looks of things. 

This first half was typical of Gerrard IMO. I don't think I've ever felt that we can be more than the sum of our parts under his management, which tracks with his managerial experience to date. He can win games when our squad is stronger than others but in terms of outthinking better teams... I just don't see it. 

• Like 1

Not an encouraging half of football.

Same struggles in possession, midfield not linking up well, resorting to hopeful punts forward.

Coutinho has been really poor, I don’t know why we had a collective brainfart for their second goal, perhaps they were distracted by the brief monsoon.

That being said, United have been very good with the ball, good movement and pressing off the ball too which has made it tough for us.

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Who is missing for you?

You can maybe make a case for Buendia or Luiz, but this is pretty close to our best eleven and I think the manager thinks this is our best side right now.

Missing 2/4 players who can string a pass together is pretty **** huge imo. 

Â