Better Call Saul - The Final Season (untagged spoilers!)

Stevo985

An absolute masterclass again this week. Possibly one of my favourite ever episodes. The perfect balance of the intricate, methodical stuff, and things actually happening. I liked that it wasn’t a big Hollywood exit for Kim.

Mixed feelings about the time jump, though. On the one hand, it was bold and unexpected and leaves enough to our imaginations. But then there are story beats of the ‘transformation’ that I’m disappointed not to have seen. I’m almost a bit sad that the journey is finished (sort of). 

So much detail

One scene I saw mentioned on Reddit was Mike talking to Nacho’s dad, and they show a profile shot of Mike behind a chain fence and Nacho’s dad free. One trapped in revenge for his son and one free.

Not to mention how every individual story had similar parallels.

Gus swirling his iron rich wine while thinking about the pool where his partner/presumed lover was murdered.

Remarkable.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Stolen from reddit but I agree.

I've waited years for the true transformation into Saul Goodman and in the space of 20 seconds, I wanted him to go back to Jimmy. 

Brilliant stuff. 

It was very well done to really highlight just how different the two characters are.

Saul just seemed such a clash but he was exactly the break bad character. I really hadn’t noticed how Jimmy wasn’t near there. 

Much more of a slow burner than what we've been getting used to recently. Initial thoughts were that this was a bit meh but I adjusted that opinion on reflection. The Kim thing was ... well it was an ending. And it made sense. It didn't go sensational for the sake of it and it didn't try to be too clever. In fact her explanation of how it (the Lalo/Howard) had all played out made perfect sense with who she is and who she wants to be (and not be). Lots of symbolism too as has been said in here wrt Mike and Gus (how had I not picked up that Gus is gay btw). With Kim gone now, aside from flashbacks and forwardses, and now that we're clearly in the Breaking Bad era with the jump forward, I wonder will the styles start to merge now. Are we about to get a truly Breaking Bad-esque prequel from this point on.  I hope not, because that's not what BCS is. But I will admit it would be clever and would perhaps make a little sense from a writing point of view to truly synergise the 2 shows as one leads into the other.

12 minutes ago, BOF said:

Much more of a slow burner than what we've been getting used to recently. Initial thoughts were that this was a bit meh but I adjusted that opinion on reflection. The Kim thing was ... well it was an ending. And it made sense. It didn't go sensational for the sake of it and it didn't try to be too clever. In fact her explanation of how it (the Lalo/Howard) had all played out made perfect sense with who she is and who she wants to be (and not be). Lots of symbolism too as has been said in here wrt Mike and Gus (how had I not picked up that Gus is gay btw). With Kim gone now, aside from flashbacks and forwardses, and now that we're clearly in the Breaking Bad era with the jump forward, I wonder will the styles start to merge now. Are we about to get a truly Breaking Bad-esque prequel from this point on.  I hope not, because that's not what BCS is. But I will admit it would be clever and would perhaps make a little sense from a writing point of view to truly synergise the 2 shows as one leads into the other.

Even though we saw a jump forward, I didn't automatically think we're just going to carry on from there. I think it's still possible we go back to just after Kim leaves. 

Maybe not, but it's possible.

But there is a lot to clear up. We know something big happens with that house he's in because of one of the previous episodes where we see it ransacked. We've got to merge it into BB however subtle that is. And we need to find out what happened to Gene

I finally watched Ozark during the BCS break and it doesn't even stand close in terms of quality of story telling and character building.

Better Call Saul is spectacular. 

• Like 2

I have to say my only problem with this episode is how stupid the cartel is. Its clear to see hectors accusations have some merit to them. Its even acknowledged  that gus hates them. Why would you not be monitoring him? 

I think if that was real life cartel would have taken him out by now. Yes i appreciate they ahve to make it work for the timeline of bb but seems abit far fetched for me

On 22/07/2022 at 07:24, Demitri_C said:

I have to say my only problem with this episode is how stupid the cartel is. Its clear to see hectors accusations have some merit to them. Its even acknowledged  that gus hates them. Why would you not be monitoring him? 

I think if that was real life cartel would have taken him out by now. Yes i appreciate they ahve to make it work for the timeline of bb but seems abit far fetched for me

My take is that it was ignored for the sake of profits, Gus is clearly the best at what he does. Don Eladio is far too smart to believe the lies there surely.

9 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

My take is that it was ignored for the sake of profits, Gus is clearly the best at what he does. Don Eladio is far too smart to believe the lies there surely.

Good at making money but why they are not moniyoring him on the discreet or given him a "punishment" to scare him is incredibly bizarre.

randomly just found out that Little Barrie did the Better Call Saul soundtrack, I used to quite like them, their first album anyway, I was supposed to go and see them at the academy once but I went deaf and couldn't go.

Anyway...that is all I had to say.

Caught up with the two most recent episodes.

Fantastic stuff. I really thought Lalo was going to see the series out (meet his end at the hand of Gus/Mike in the finale). To my mind that was the obvious thing to do, so am impressed they’ve not gone that way.

Four episodes left, my guess is we spend one or two in the Breaking Bad era, but from Saul/Mike/Gus’s perspective. That’s Walt and Jesse’s cue to make a cameo. Quite what they show us, I haven’t a clue.

But the last remaining question is of course Kim’s fate and yet they’ve seemingly moved us up to a point where she could feasibly not be on the scene anymore. I still don’t think she’ll be killed off, but I’m far from certain. Of the new “main” characters from BCS, she’s the last one standing. Chuck, Nacho, Howard, Lalo - dead, dead, dead and dead. Does she make it a full sweep? 

My guess is Kim does have some involvement with resolving Gene’s problem in his new life and that’s the end of the show.

End of this rambled musing, considering I know the fate of the majority of these characters, the show does remarkably well to keep me on edge. For instance I obviously knew Gus wasn’t going to die by Lalo’s hand, but I was still in suspense. Really, really impressive stuff.

• Like 1

Yeah really good. Any episode that centres on one of Jimmy/Saul/Gene’s schemes is entertaining. Him looking at the gaudy suit at the end but leaving it behind is a nice way of showing him moving on from his Saul persona.

It’s thrown me, because that’s potentially and neatly resolved the Omaha plot line (although it could come back, I suppose) and subsequently concludes Saul’s storyline…with three episodes left. I was expecting that to be how the series ended.

Other than telling us what happens to Kim, I have no idea what the final three episode are going to show.

• Like 1

Â