Better Call Saul - The Final Season (untagged spoilers!)

Stevo985

On 18/08/2022 at 08:17, tinker said:

Wasn't a great season for me, although the desert 'piss drinking' episode was probably the best episode of the whole thing. 

That episode was in Season 5.

Just watched the finale. Similar thoughts to others, I think it ended perfectly. And by that, while I’d have loved to have seen him get away with it (and I really thought he had got away with it), it was right that he’d face serious jail time, but making the best of the situation on his terms. Helping out Kim, taking the credit for much of it, essentially making it his story as he’s the only around to tell it. 

Really enjoyed seeing him (sort of) work alongside Bill on the same team - Bill trying and failing to be excused in court was humorous. And the scene on the prison bus was a nice little moment of triumph.

Will miss this world they’ve created in Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul. They haven’t ruled out returning one day to tell more stories in it, but I think they’re probably right to let these two companion series sit as they are.

8 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

That episode was in Season 5.

Just watched the finale. Similar thoughts to others, I think it ended perfectly. And by that, while I’d have loved to have seen him get away with it (and I really thought he had got away with it), it was right that he’d face serious jail time, but making the best of the situation on his terms. Helping out Kim, taking the credit for much of it, essentially making it his story as he’s the only around to tell it. 

Really enjoyed seeing him (sort of) work alongside Bill on the same team - Bill trying and failing to be excused in court was humorous. And the scene on the prison bus was a nice little moment of triumph.

Will miss this world they’ve created in Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul. They haven’t ruled out returning one day to tell more stories in it, but I think they’re probably right to let these two companion series sit as they are.

Oh dear, binged watched the whole lot over the last month and it all became a bit blurred. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/08/2022 at 00:27, Mark Albrighton said:

Really enjoyed seeing him (sort of) work alongside Bill on the same team

I don't think they were ever on the same team. Saul brought him in just to humiliate him and get his name attached to what turned out to be a spectacular failure for a lawyer.

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't think they were ever on the same team. Saul brought him in just to humiliate him and get his name attached to what turned out to be a spectacular failure for a lawyer.

Hmmm not sure on that. He only decided to throw it all away after being informed of Kim’s confession and then Bill saying what she might be facing, while on board that plane.

• Like 1

My question is, has he come clean at the end of the series? Owned up to his mistakes and became a full Jimmy again?

Or did the Saul pride not allow him to be anything but the main actor behind Walters "success"? 

Maybe both? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Hmmm not sure on that. He only decided to throw it all away after being informed of Kim’s confession and then Bill saying what she might be facing, while on board that plane.

I took it that it was all a plan from the moment he kicked off those negotiations

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I took it that it was all a plan from the moment he kicked off those negotiations

But when he tries to negotiate further to sweeten the deal with details of Howard’s death, he’s thrown by them revealing Kim has already given a statement. He wasn’t aware of that, and that revelation gives him a different outlook. You can see it on his face, he’s been running circles around the authorities bringing the sentence down, but at that moment he’s had the rug pulled from beneath him. I think he was trying to get away with as easy a sentence as possible, before that revelation.

Kim’s prepared to face whatever consequences are coming her way, he decides he should do likewise. Go out on his own terms.

3 hours ago, Mic09 said:

My question is, has he come clean at the end of the series? Owned up to his mistakes and became a full Jimmy again?

Or did the Saul pride not allow him to be anything but the main actor behind Walters "success"? 

Maybe both? 

The net result is both, but I think it was due to being redeemed, both in his own mind and in Kim’s. He can’t be with her, but she’s back on his side.

Being a bit of a criminal folk hero will have some benefits, but when the prisoners were chanting “Better Call Saul”, he seemed bemused rather than proud or anything. It’s just what he’s known for now.

What I wanted to know, it’s more of a hypothetical, when Nacho (remember Nacho?) is about to be executed and he manages to get out, pulls a gun to the cartel boss’ head. Mike, far away with his sniper gun says “Do it!”. Obviously Mike has a respect for Nacho and he doesn’t care much for Hector and his pals. But IF Nacho had killed the cartel boss, what was Mike going to do? Kill Hector and the twins, ok. But then Gus wouldn’t have been happy at the prospect of having to explain that away to Eladio. So does he then have to go… 

Like I say, it’s a hypothetical so it doesn’t really matter. Just wondering what Mike was prepared to do at that point.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

But when he tries to negotiate further to sweeten the deal with details of Howard’s death, he’s thrown by them revealing Kim has already given a statement. He wasn’t aware of that, and that revelation gives him a different outlook. You can see it on his face, he’s been running circles around the authorities bringing the sentence down, but at that moment he’s had the right pulled from beneath him. I think he was trying to get away with as easy a sentence as possible, before that revelation.

Yeah, this was my take too. I thought that was the pivotal moment that brought Jimmy back. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to finishing it, much better than Breaking Bad for me though still just missing out on being an elite show. I think being a prequel meant some things were predictable (Nacho and Lalo dying and characters from Breaking Bad in tough situations already knowing the outcome)

Thought the ending was good and not really what I was expecting as the Nebraska thing just didnt look it would really have time for a sideplot

I am still 100 percent sure Howard Hamlin is based on Purslow 😛

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Â