Better Call Saul - The Final Season (untagged spoilers!)

Stevo985

9 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Yeah really good. Any episode that centres on one of Jimmy/Saul/Gene’s schemes is entertaining. Him looking at the gaudy suit at the end but leaving it behind is a nice way of showing him moving on from his Saul persona.

It’s thrown me, because that’s potentially and neatly resolved the Omaha plot line (although it could come back, I suppose) and subsequently concludes Saul’s storyline…with three episodes left. I was expecting that to be how the series ended.

Other than telling us what happens to Kim, I have no idea what the final three episode are going to show.

Yeah we needed that Gene episode, but I'm not certain it's closed off that story. I feel like there's still something that could happen there to really finish things off.

As for the remaining 3 episodes, at least one of them could overlap with breaking bad. This latest Gene episode sort of teased that when he briefly mentioned Walter/Heisenberg. I'm certain we're going to get something regarding that

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Him looking at the gaudy suit at the end but leaving it behind is a nice way of showing him moving on from his Saul persona.

And yeah that was a nice touch. He's had several of those moments before where he's had to choose paths, most pertinently when he had the job offer from the proper law firm and turned it down to go back to scheming.

This was the first time we've seen him not choose the path that leads to Saul

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

I had no idea we were supposed to know who Jeff was. But yeah, that episode was good, but not great. Probably the worst in this series imo. 

You were only meant to know that he was the guy who figured out who Saul was in the previous season(s?)

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

You were only meant to know that he was the guy who figured out who Saul was in the previous season(s?)

Ah okay! I thought it was someone from his past. Completely forgot about the scene where someone figured out who he was. 

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Ah okay! I thought it was someone from his past. Completely forgot about the scene where someone figured out who he was. 

I don't think he is. Happy to be corrected though

• Like 1

I really liked that episode and remembered who Jeff was because it hasn't been long since I watched. I hope and doubt that is the last we have seen of Gene but it could be. I was convinced this was going to be the episode where we got to see Walt & Jesse now I am convinced it'll be next weeks episode 

I know there’s no hiding spoilers in this thread, but just in case this guess is correct (it probably isn’t), I’ll spoiler it. Fwiw, a quick look online suggests the thought has been made before.

Spoiler

Are we going to see Saul being the one that poisons Brock? It was Walt’s idea of course, but did he get Saul to do the dirty work? Saul had a bit of a dynamic with Andrea and Brock, delivering cheques on behalf of Jesse so he’d be reasonably well placed to do it. 

It’s arguably the biggest off screen moment in Breaking Bad that I don’t believe was ever fully answered. We know Saul got Huell to pickpocket the ricin from Jesse, but we don’t know how Walt got Brock to take the poison.

Just a thought, I’m most likely wrong. A big part of me really hopes I am.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I know there’s no hiding spoilers in this thread, but just in case this guess is correct (it probably isn’t), I’ll spoiler it. Fwiw, a quick look online suggests the thought has been made before.

Hide contents

Are we going to see Saul being the one that poisons Brock? It was Walt’s idea of course, but did he get Saul to do the dirty work? Saul had a bit of a dynamic with Andrea and Brock, delivering cheques on behalf of Jesse so he’d be reasonably well placed to do it. 

It’s arguably the biggest off screen moment in Breaking Bad that I don’t believe was ever fully answered. We know Saul got Huell to pickpocket the ricin from Jesse, but we don’t know how Walt got Brock to take the poison.

Just a thought, I’m most likely wrong. A big part of me really hopes I am.

Spoiler

But didn’t it turn out Walt used the flower in his garden, not ricin, and Saul gave him the vial back?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, a m ole said:
  Reveal hidden contents

But didn’t it turn out Walt used the flower in his garden, not ricin, and Saul gave him the vial back?

Spoiler

Yeah I know it was the Lily of the Valley that Walt used to poison Brock. Not the ricin. Walt got the ricin back through Saul (through Huell’s nifty dexterity) ultimately to make Jesse think Gus had stolen it and done the deed.

I’m saying it’s kinda been a point of contention among the BB fanatics how Walt got Brock to take the poison. It wasn’t shown to us how he did it. As viewers we were led to believe it WAS Gus who did it, right up until we see the plant in Walt’s garden.

Saul would have been in a better position to administer the poison, as opposed to Walt, having made several trips to their home previously. Walt basically had no interaction with either Brock or his mum - that we saw anyway.

It was a fairly big plot point in the series, which we didn’t see. If we’re spending a bit of time in the Breaking Bad timeline, it would make sense to address that, particularly as Saul may well have played a huge part in it. 

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Hide contents

Yeah I know it was the Lily of the Valley that Walt used to poison Brock. Not the ricin. Walt got the ricin back through Saul (through Huell’s nifty dexterity) ultimately to make Jesse think Gus had stolen it and done the deed.

I’m saying it’s kinda been a point of contention among the BB fanatics how Walt got Brock to take the poison. It wasn’t shown to us how he did it. As viewers we were led to believe it WAS Gus who did it, right up until we see the plant in Walt’s garden.

Saul would have been in a better position to administer the poison, as opposed to Walt, having made several trips to their home previously. Walt basically had no interaction with either Brock or his mum - that we saw anyway.

It was a fairly big plot point in the series, which we didn’t see. If we’re spending a bit of time in the Breaking Bad timeline, it would make sense to address that, particularly as Saul may well have played a huge part in it. 

Spoiler

Ah ok got it, I just wonder since he didn’t actually die, and the flower isn’t lethal, whether it really matters. Obviously the incident itself was highly significant, but if it was Saul he would at least know it wasn’t going to kill Brock so while it might be interesting, I don’t think it says anything about Saul’s character.

On 26/07/2022 at 22:45, phily85 said:

Enjoyed it but got to be honest had to google it afterwards because I knew I was suppose to know who Jeff was but didnt have a clue

The recasting of the character didn't help things but Jeff "one" was filming We Own This City apparently.

Better Call Saul fans in 'meltdown' over 'jarring' recast of key character  | The Independent

8 hours ago, a m ole said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Ah ok got it, I just wonder since he didn’t actually die, and the flower isn’t lethal, whether it really matters. Obviously the incident itself was highly significant, but if it was Saul he would at least know it wasn’t going to kill Brock so while it might be interesting, I don’t think it says anything about Saul’s character.

Last spoiler box here from me :D

Spoiler

I think it is lethal, a quick search certainly suggests it is. I vaguely remember Walt trying to justify it to Jesse by saying he knew how much to give him so he wouldn’t die.

Maybe it’s not something that needs (re)covering, but on the scale of dubious things Saul has done, risking the life of a child would surely be near the top.

IF he was involved, of course.

26 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Last spoiler box here from me :D

Hide contents

I think it is lethal, a quick search certainly suggests it is. I vaguely remember Walt trying to justify it to Jesse by saying he knew how much to give him so he wouldn’t die.

Maybe it’s not something that needs (re)covering, but on the scale of dubious things Saul has done, risking the life of a child would surely be near the top.

IF he was involved, of course.

Spoiler

Maybe, I always thought of the flower reveal as a ‘yeah they’re bad but they’re not that horrendous to use ricin on a child’ and wrapping that up. I guess I just can’t see where it would link up with 3 episodes to go in terms of narrative.

3 episodes left and the next one is named ‘Breaking Bad’. Surely this means we’re back on Saul timeline, I don’t think we need 3 more full episodes of Gene in black and white.

Trying to think of things not wrapped up, the scene of Saul’s house being repossessed, maybe Kim during BB timeline and Gene finale?

On the subject of spoilering a 9 year old plot point, I wonder how many people are watching Better Call Saul who've never seen Breaking Bad. I'm sure they exist, but I'd say the numbers are miniscule.

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

On the subject of spoilering a 9 year old plot point, I wonder how many people are watching Better Call Saul who've never seen Breaking Bad. I'm sure they exist, but I'd say the numbers are miniscule.

I almost did it years ago. I wanted to watch it because it looked great, but never dived into BB. I essentially watched all 5 series of BB to watch BCS. Didn’t regret it.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, BOF said:

I can imagine that a lot of people will have the logic of "it's a prequel so it doesn't matter" and end up watching it first.

When we all know that's not really how prequels work

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I can imagine that a lot of people will have the logic of "it's a prequel so it doesn't matter" and end up watching it first.

When we all know that's not really how prequels work

You're talking to one of the few people (of my age) who watched Star Wars in story order :):P  

• Haha 1

Â