UK Airport Chaos

markavfc40

My flight out of Gatwick was 3 hours late leaving on Tuesday.  The plane and crew were there, just problems with the handling agency, then we missed our slot and due to congestion we had to wait nearly an hour on the plane.  The queue for security was the longest I've ever seen, luckily we bumped into my mate's mate's brother who is a supervisor there and took us straight to the front of the queue.  Bit naughty but a relief.  The flight back from Vienna last night was much better and passport and baggage was pretty much instant at Gatwick.

I'm starting work as a ramp agent and baggage handler the week after next, I know there has been a big recruitment drive so hopefully things will improve over the next few weeks.  It just took 4 weeks before me getting offered the job and getting my first training, probably to make sure everyone's security and employment checks are completed.  DHL are offering pretty good wages now so I should think plenty of new workers will be joining soon.

• Like 1

Manchester T1 this morning from parking at 0230 through baggage and security by 0315 with priority lane access where we waited for about 15 minutes for shift change at 0300.

Why can't they just apply a ratio at the airports.  30 % staff shortage then 30 % less flights ? 

They cannot be allowed to grab as much money as they can,  keep it all for a few weeks and then give it back to those who ask.  It should be that if your flight is cancelled within a week of flying there is a 30-40 % compensation add on.  This would stop them selling flights they know wont go.  (I hate airports and airlines with a passion,  they are both scammers but because they are earners for the Government they get away with it).  All industries are crying out for staff so Schipol is giving €5 euro extra if you work in the summer so they can steal workers from other industries,  surprise surprise,  it reduces to €1 after the summer.)

On 14/06/2022 at 07:31, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Why can't they just apply a ratio at the airports.  30 % staff shortage then 30 % less flights ? 

Surely that doesn't make sense.

Because the airport can't hire enough baggage handlers and security staff, that would mean the airline have to refund millions of £'s of revenue when they might have enough planes and staff to fly. 

I doubt the airport is then going to compensate the airline for all that lost revenue.

• Like 1

Friend of ours was flying back from Iceland on Sunday at 10:00  ... at 5am they got emailed to say the flight had been cancelled , but fear not there will be one on Tuesday we can put you on 

its getting to the point that I almost check my upcoming flights daily just to be sure they are still currently scheduled  !! 

My uncle got stuck on a plane in cyprus as there was a delay flying oit. It was 35c heat outside the plane was even hotter. It was ryanair and they refused to put the AC on as they didnt wnat to waste the fuel. There is a video of his gone viral on social media. Elderly people asking for water ans they wouldnt give or open the door to let air in.

Disgusting company

11 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

My uncle got stuck on a plane in cyprus as there was a delay flying oit. It was 35c heat outside the plane was even hotter. It was ryanair and they refused to put the AC on as they didnt wnat to waste the fuel. There is a video of his gone viral on social media. Elderly people asking for water ans they wouldnt give or open the door to let air in.

Disgusting company

I won't fly them , trouble is people want cheap flights so my boycott makes zero difference to them   .. needs more people to punish them for shit service and having a shit owner 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I won't fly them , trouble is people want cheap flights so my boycott makes zero difference to them   .. needs more people to punish them for shit service and having a shit owner 

Problem i have tone is when i fly cyprus only ryanair and jet2 go paphos. It use to only be ryanair so i had no choice unless want to fly larnaca which a lot longer to go.

I think as well you go BA now and its become a budget airline now too so why would people pay more for the same?

18 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Problem i have tone is when i fly cyprus only ryanair and jet2 go paphos. It use to only be ryanair so i had no choice unless want to fly larnaca which a lot longer to go.

I think as well you go BA now and its become a budget airline now too so why would people pay more for the same?

until recently it was worth the BA premium as the planes were mainly on time  orrarely cancelled  ,plus their hand luggage policy is far more flexible than the budgets 

but mainly I'd pay the premium not to have to fly from Luton or Stansted , but of course that depends where you live , I can get to T5 in 15 mins from where i live 

21 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

until recently it was worth the BA premium as the planes were mainly on time  orrarely cancelled  ,plus their hand luggage policy is far more flexible than the budgets 

but mainly I'd pay the premium not to have to fly from Luton or Stansted , but of course that depends where you live , I can get to T5 in 15 mins from where i live 

I usually go stanstead, touch wood be ok. I avoid gatwick like the plague if it can be helped 

I flew out to Istanbul on 09th from Birmingham and it was completely fine.  Taking off around 5PM, we got through security etc in about 30 minutes.  Staff were calling out along the security queue for the imminent departures to ensure people weren't stranded waiting to get through. 

Getting back through Istanbul back to Brum on 14th also wasn't an issue (quite a relaxed time in the airport) and even though I had to wait a while for my case to come out at the other end (about another 30 minutes) it wasn't too bad at all.  Turkish Airlines are great by the way - easy check-in, nice complementary meals (and unlimited drinks) on the flight with quite a good little touchscreen system in front of you.  

Edited by trekka

Lufthansa are cancelling 1000 flights in July due to staff shortages 

Next pay day I will be booking my August flights with them... I'm going to be proper pissed if they're still making flights available knowing they have these problems and then happily cancelling them thinking thats a suitable solution 

If you have the problems don't sell the **** flights 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Lufthansa are cancelling 1000 flights in July due to staff shortages 

Next pay day I will be booking my August flights with them... I'm going to be proper pissed if they're still making flights available knowing they have these problems and then happily cancelling them thinking thats a suitable solution 

If you have the problems don't sell the **** flights 

Apparently a lot of qualified pilots have applied to Lufthansa and were rejected for no reason 

Looking for probably another bail out from the government 

On 22/06/2022 at 10:25, tonyh29 said:

They are the wetherspoons of the aviation world.

How many drinkers actually boycotted that word removed's pubs after the way he treated his staff during covid ? Not many, cos of personal wants for cheap beer 

Edited by mottaloo

On 22/06/2022 at 10:25, tonyh29 said:

Same. Flew Ryanair once (Riga to Stansted one way) and it was like a zoo on the plane. 

• Haha 1

Flying from Birmingham this morning with Jet2. Baggage check in was superb, literally took 2 minutes.

Security took a lot longer, about 30 minutes of queues to get in and through. Not helped by the morons who look shocked that you have to remove liquid and electronics once they get to the security gate. If you can pay for the express lane it’s worthwhile.

Biggest problem of the morning has been breakfast, the airport is just too busy for demand.

Other than that it was a lot smoother than I was expecting.

• Like 1

On 23/06/2022 at 22:01, Xela said:

Same. Flew Ryanair once (Riga to Stansted one way) and it was like a zoo on the plane. 

Last time I flew Ryanair one of the passengers got arrested for drunken disorderly and sexually assaulting a stewardess. Hate that airline. 

Â