UK Airport Chaos

markavfc40

I think the only difference between you and one of those companies is they have a trainee who will phone tui once a week to ask for the money, for 20-50% of your money 

If you've got patience it's easy to do it yourself, one letter, couple of email chasers, another letter after 90 days and you should get it 

Flew out of Terminal 5 on Sunday

flight at 7:40 , baggage drop open at 5:30 , loads of time to drop , clear immigration then get a quick breakfast before we  board

BA bag drop is all automated , so you go to a drop zone and print your own labels ...we joined a queue with about 4 people in front of us  .. at that point the machine broke ,  so a BA member of staff got behind the desk and checked those peoples bags in ... he did this then got up and buggered off leaving the machine still broken , his advice  to the now 20 people including us in that queue , was join another queue as I'm not actually working this desk 

no drama , went to another queue , should have double checked as silver hair people and technology is a recipe for disaster and sure enough we watched people flounder at complicated tasks like scanning their flight ticket and answering questions about how many bags they had  ... anyway , after 45 mins we cleared that hurdle 

next security , where despite countless  reminders to remove belts , take electronic devices and liquids out of bags , people struggled with this basic concept  , not helped by only having about 40% of the security checking areas opened and bang that was another hour gone  .. thankfully our gate was in the A section and not the train ride to B or C or we would have missed the flight 

talking to some Americans today and they are having similar issues over there , seems all the airports are struggling to cope with post covid demand and a lack of staff / high sickness levels 

• Thanks 1

the security thing is infuriating, its crazy how people dont know that ipads and laptops have to be taken out or are still getting liquids wrong and a newer one ive seen a lot is people not taking coats off, the simple thing being if you know you will take your coat off then wallet keys etc stuff everything in your coat pockets

but that said there is also something newish ive found at brum airport, one tray for your bag, one tray for your coat, one tray for your liquids, one tray for your laptop...that shit doesnt help at all, the conveyor belt is a lot slower than i am, im ready to go and they're making me wait for tray space

• Like 1

If you have fast track security, do you just walk straight past the queues (currently) outside the airport? Like, say if it's booked for 2pm, and you arrive at 1:45pm.

Anyone have any experience with this?

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

the security thing is infuriating, its crazy how people dont know that ipads and laptops have to be taken out or are still getting liquids wrong and a newer one ive seen a lot is people not taking coats off, the simple thing being if you know you will take your coat off then wallet keys etc stuff everything in your coat pockets

but that said there is also something newish ive found at brum airport, one tray for your bag, one tray for your coat, one tray for your liquids, one tray for your laptop...that shit doesnt help at all, the conveyor belt is a lot slower than i am, im ready to go and they're making me wait for tray space

Yep it never ceases to amaze me that people have seemingly never been on a plane before, or don't know what it entails.

People still don't know you can't have liquid in your bag. That's been a rule for what, 20 years now? 

Also I don't want to make a generalisation, but I think some of the older generation don't realise how strict that is. They think they'll get away with it. My aunt was over here last year from Ireland and we basically had to completely repack her hand luggage on her way back because she had liquids and stuff in there. She genuinely thought she'd get away with it

And the other thing about not being ready when they get to the front, there are SO MANY signs and people telling you and shouting at you what to do while you're in the queue that it's impossible to not know what you have to do

On 31/05/2022 at 18:44, villa4europe said:

I think the only difference between you and one of those companies is they have a trainee who will phone tui once a week to ask for the money, for 20-50% of your money 

If you've got patience it's easy to do it yourself, one letter, couple of email chasers, another letter after 90 days and you should get it 

Tui have already replied confirming they'll pay £350 per person in the next 2 weeks which basically covers the cost of the villa. 

Looking like we might be on for compensation for the return flight too. Estimated boarding is now 2 hours 40 minutes late. 

• Like 2

On 01/06/2022 at 08:49, Beastmix said:

If you have fast track security, do you just walk straight past the queues (currently) outside the airport? Like, say if it's booked for 2pm, and you arrive at 1:45pm.

Anyone have any experience with this?

There'll be a separate fast track lane set up for you at the side of security. Just walk straight up to it (once checked in and bags sorted) but maybe check with a staff member when you get there. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Tui have already replied confirming they'll pay £350 per person in the next 2 weeks which basically covers the cost of the villa. 

Looking like we might be on for compensation for the return flight too. Estimated boarding is now 2 hours 40 minutes late. 

Its based on the time that you land rather than take off

Different routes and stuff like that but from my experience it's pretty mad how they can make up 20 to 30 mins in the air flying between Germany and UK, pretty usual to take off late but land on time, they must circle the city or slow down to fit in with their landing time, take off late and that need goes away 

Just now, villa4europe said:

Different routes and stuff like that but from my experience it's pretty mad how they can make up 20 to 30 mins in the air flying between Germany and UK, pretty usual to take off late but land on time, they must circle the city or slow down to fit in with their landing time, take off late and that need goes away 

I know but I suspect it'll be delayed again as it's already been pushed back multiple times and based off our boarding passes there's going to be a number of kids not sat with parents (luckily my wife spotted ours and got it sorted). Sorting that took over an hour on the flight out. 

Landed 2.5 hours late. Then taken a further 2 hours to get through Border Control, collect luggage (75 minutes) and then wait for the shuttle bus to the car park. 

No desire to come back to Manchester Airport anytime soon. 

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Over here they say a flight takes 4hours, but you actually only spend 3 hours 15 mins or so actually flying. They bake in the potential delays essentially, because if they get you on the plane and closing the boarding door that counts as an "on time departure."

They don't care if you then end up sitting on the runway for 2 hours to take off. In New York it always a minimum of 45 mins waiting in line to take off even at La Guardia. JFK, forget about it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

There'll be a separate fast track lane set up for you at the side of security. Just walk straight up to it (once checked in and bags sorted) but maybe check with a staff member when you get there. 

I know there's a separate lane once inside the terminal, but I'm more concerned about the queues outside it.

I suppose I'll just walk past everybody and try to speak with a staff member.

I know this is a “U.K. airport chaos “ thread but KLM stopped all passengers arriving at Schiphol on Saturday blaming weather and runway maintenance , essentially with all the delays they decided the airport was over crowded and so it seems planes were coming in with no passengers on them !!

• Haha 1

On 05/06/2022 at 20:55, omariqy said:

After a lovely week away we had the nightmare journey back that everyone dreads. We were due to fly out 9pm local time (Sharm el Sheikh) with EasyJet. The flight was delayed till 9.52. I thought no problem at least it wasn’t cancelled like everyone else’s had been it seemed. Anyway we get on the plane and everything seems normal. About 10.15pm passes and I am thinking this is taking the piss a little bit but nothing we are not used to with flying. About 5 mins later we get the Captain on. He explains that they basically had a 20 minute slot that they had to take off by due to being late (they put it down to bad weather in England). As they missed the slot for whatever reason they could not fly out as it would now mean the crew would have worked too may hours legally by the time they landed. Flight cancelled. Chaos ensues and we thankfully get put up in a hotel for the night. However, by the time they sort everyone out, back through security, re-stamped out, on a transfer, into a hotel and checked in, it was 2am local time. 

We get told that the re-scheduled flight is 2pm the next day and our transfer was to arrive at 10am at the hotel. We get to the airport all fine. Flight is on time it seems. It gets to 1.50pm and we are still at the gate. About 5 mins later the crew arrive. We then get on the plane, again they manoeuvre us to get on the runway readying for take off. Nothing happens for ages. We get the captain on again, apparently local crew are not happy with the tyres. By the time they come to check it and sign the paperwork all over again. It’s 5pm. We then fly out about half hour later. To make matters worse half our crew had picked up a bug of some sort so my eldest two spent most of the flight with diarrhoea and vomiting. We arrive about 10.10pm in Luton. Horrible experience with 3 young kids. 

Ergh sounds like absolute hell.

At least you get compensation for it if thats any consolation 

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Ergh sounds like absolute hell.

At least you get compensation for it if thats any consolation 

Yeah hopefully I get it. Still got to start the process. Can’t bare thinking about it at the moment. 

Flying next month for first time since Feb when it seemed quite easy?

Not sure whether to risk flying from Manchester or just get the train down the Heathrow. Only a short flight to Germany.

9 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Flying next month for first time since Feb when it seemed quite easy?

Not sure whether to risk flying from Manchester or just get the train down the Heathrow. Only a short flight to Germany.

I won't be using Manchester again anytime soon. Major staff issues across the board. Problems with delayed flights, luggage, parking and most of the restaurants/shops/bars were shut too so food was a nightmare. We ate out of the vending machines after our flight was delayed past 5pm as that was the only option available and it was an hours wait to get a pint before the last place closed. 

• Thanks 1

Â