UK Airport Chaos

markavfc40

21 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I flew from Frankfurt a few weeks ago, returning from a business trip. Bag drop was fully automated, took 2 mins, no queues. Lufthansa have got this shit nailed.

my airport of choice, did you get the ICE train there? bag drop off 5 minute walk from the platform, ive started getting to the habit of no hand luggage too, sail through even with ze german passport control

munich has the same

my only problem there is I've found B to be really busy hard to get a beer and horrifically expensive (£9 sandwich + drink combo)

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Hopefully wont be too bad end of September as going sweden for 4 days then cyprus on 10th october

Arlanda has been buggered all summer with the same staffing issues as England. Hopefully it's better in September. Keep an eye here for current times at security and check-in

https://www.swedavia.com/arlanda/

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Tegis said:

Arlanda has been buggered all summer with the same staffing issues as England. Hopefully it's better in September. Keep an eye here for current times at security and check-in

https://www.swedavia.com/arlanda/

Thanks for this. Oh bloody hell didnt know that. Ill keep an eye on that.

Seems its not just a UK thing. Who would have known sacking staff would have caused all this eh 🙄

Security last Monday evening in brum was fine. Flight was delayed by 6 hours though after boarding and later unboarding the plane as there was a fault and they had to wait for an engineer to come from Stansted.

Don’t know if that was Ryanair’s fault, or the plane manufacturer, or the airport. Ryanair did kindly distribute the legal minimum obligatory vouchers which paid for about 60% of some chips in the only bar that was still, and thankfully remained, open.

Only consolation was the delay was so severe that krakow airport had reopened by 5-30-6am when we eventually landed, whereas if the flight left earlier we would have been diverted to at best Katowice which would have caused further delay to get home. Also will try to get compo.

Rome and back was a breeze. LGW and Rome were fine. A short queue to scan in to security and a brief hold-up when they thought the OH had a gun in her carry on (it was a toy screwdriver). Passport checks in and out were easy too. 8/10 would fly again. 

Dusseldorf Airport is ****, 1 security scanner open everything else closed, no priority, queue out the door

And that's just terminal A, B looked the same, family in front of me said flying in it took 1.45 to claim their bags after landing here 

• 2 weeks later...

Birmingham an absolute shitshow. 
Flight out to Malaga we queued an hour & 15 minutes to check our bag in so we had to practically walk to the boarding gate. 

On the way back, even worse. Landed at 9, didn’t get off the plane until 9:45 because there was no steps & still waiting for our bags an hour & 45 later. 

It’s going to have taken long for me to get home from BHX than Malaga to Birmingham. Absolute piss take.  

• Like 1

flew from bristol monday morning

get an email from Ryanair "due to how busy the airport is please get there 3 hours before your flight" turn up, no check in until 2 hours before the flight....words removed, loads of moaning from a lot of people, all their own doing

rest of the airport was perfectly fine

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Milfner said:

Birmingham an absolute shitshow. 
Flight out to Malaga we queued an hour & 15 minutes to check our bag in so we had to practically walk to the boarding gate. 

On the way back, even worse. Landed at 9, didn’t get off the plane until 9:45 because there was no steps & still waiting for our bags an hour & 45 later. 

It’s going to have taken long for me to get home from BHX than Malaga to Birmingham. Absolute piss take.  

Three and a half hours to get from the plane to 10 miles down the road. Just so poor. All the other carousels were receiving their luggage but not ours. The police had to step in & help them move the luggage too. Jokers. 

On 15/08/2022 at 16:40, fightoffyour said:

Security last Monday evening in brum was fine. Flight was delayed by 6 hours though after boarding and later unboarding the plane as there was a fault and they had to wait for an engineer to come from Stansted.

Don’t know if that was Ryanair’s fault, or the plane manufacturer, or the airport. Ryanair did kindly distribute the legal minimum obligatory vouchers which paid for about 60% of some chips in the only bar that was still, and thankfully remained, open.

Only consolation was the delay was so severe that krakow airport had reopened by 5-30-6am when we eventually landed, whereas if the flight left earlier we would have been diverted to at best Katowice which would have caused further delay to get home. Also will try to get compo.

Ryanair are paying out 400 euros each!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Best place for this I suppose. I am taking my grandson to euro Disney during the October holidays. We are flying from BHX and I am wondering how long should I give it to get through to the departure gate. Want an hour in departures but as he is 7 don't really want to hang about too much. It's been around 15 years since I flew from Birmingham so don't have experience to call on. 

50 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Best place for this I suppose. I am taking my grandson to euro Disney during the October holidays. We are flying from BHX and I am wondering how long should I give it to get through to the departure gate. Want an hour in departures but as he is 7 don't really want to hang about too much. It's been around 15 years since I flew from Birmingham so don't have experience to call on. 

you checking bags in? flying with who?

its really hit and miss, you can go on the departures bit of the website and see what other planes there are around yours and get a feel for it but the problem is more at the security gate and then a mixture of the works they have on and how many staff they have on, id say the staff is the same with checking bags in, its almost pure luck at this point

2 hours should be enough

• Thanks 1

air france im sure are down the bottom end with the star alliance mob and KLM sharing a desk so if there's say a jet2 or tui flight around the same time as yours it will have no impact on your queue checking a bag in, keep an eye out for the amsterdam flight times because they will impact you 

they've built a shiny new starbucks in the middle air side too but its not the best, if you end up spending a lot of time there walk up to all bar one and back to kill the time

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

air france im sure are down the bottom end with the star alliance mob and KLM sharing a desk so if there's say a jet2 or tui flight around the same time as yours it will have no impact on your queue checking a bag in, keep an eye out for the amsterdam flight times because they will impact you 

they've built a shiny new starbucks in the middle air side too but its not the best, if you end up spending a lot of time there walk up to all bar one and back to kill the time

Really appreciate this, thank you

• Like 1

Â