UK Airport Chaos

markavfc40

Dropped Mrs H and my daughter at Heathrow this morning 

we couldn't online check them in as there was a problem with my daughters API so they had to go to a BA desk and get it validated before they would issue a boarding pass 

even allowing for this , i dropped them at 10:37  and they were clear of security at 11:03

could well be that most people have already gone away by now and the Eatster rush element is over ... guess I'll find out on Thursday when I join them  !! 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No issues landing at Heathrow yesterday   , off the plane and straight through the E-gates .. had to wait a minute or two as the person in front of me didn't know how to look into a camera but there were no queues at all  ( I always seem to find that person , its the same at ATM's , I always get a person in front of me that acts like they've never seen an ATM before , or takes 16 minutes to order a cheeseburger at the McDonalds self service kiosk)   ) , no queues for non E-gate people either 

Flying out last Thursday my Dad dropped me off at Heathrow at 11:08 and I was through ticket checking and security and inside departures in 11 minutes .. is suspect a lot of that was due to half term being a week earlier and most people had already gone away for the Easter rush , but even so it was still fair easier than I suspected 

Manchester Airport T3 is opening back up finally this Friday 22nd April.

Hopefully I won't have any problems flying out the Monday after then. I doubt it will be fully staffed as they'll have to spread them more thinly across all terminals, but presumably they have hired a sufficient amount to actually open it.

Mrs H landed at terminal 3 today 

The geniuses at Heathrow have made it so you can only pickup from the short stay car park (Private or taxi)   ... or take a shuttle bus to long stay 

I booked her an Uber as I'm on some work stuff  , Uber entered the car park at 17:15 ... its just this second made it to the level 3 pickup zone  ..50 + minutes after entering the car park 

problem is that's she is now likely to be sitting in the Uber for another 50 mins getting out the car park  and of course the short stay car park fee goes up from £5.30 for 30 mins  to £14.50 because you've been over an hour  , could even hit the 2 hour mark of £17 .80 .. plus of course the fee for being in a taxi not moving 

from the amount of people around i guess its just bad luck that her flight landed right in the same slots as the big long haul flights  , as I didn't have this problem on Tuesday , but its shambolic 

the alternative is to pickup from the drop zone and get a £40 automated fine  .. way things are going it would be cheaper 

Edited by tonyh29

Was fine flying out of Manchester T3 on Monday morning at 10am. Arrived very early to check in a bag though, around half 7. Ryanair self bag drop had no queue and security was normal to quick. Plenty of time for coffee and working in departures.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Might be a stupid question but when booking fast track at Manchester Airport do you input your flight time or the time you expect to arrive and go through check in/security? The website appears to be asking for both without making it clear. 

On 21/04/2022 at 18:17, tonyh29 said:

Mrs H landed at terminal 3 today 

The geniuses at Heathrow have made it so you can only pickup from the short stay car park (Private or taxi)   ... or take a shuttle bus to long stay 

I booked her an Uber as I'm on some work stuff  , Uber entered the car park at 17:15 ... its just this second made it to the level 3 pickup zone  ..50 + minutes after entering the car park 

problem is that's she is now likely to be sitting in the Uber for another 50 mins getting out the car park  and of course the short stay car park fee goes up from £5.30 for 30 mins  to £14.50 because you've been over an hour  , could even hit the 2 hour mark of £17 .80 .. plus of course the fee for being in a taxi not moving 

from the amount of people around i guess its just bad luck that her flight landed right in the same slots as the big long haul flights  , as I didn't have this problem on Tuesday , but its shambolic 

the alternative is to pickup from the drop zone and get a £40 automated fine  .. way things are going it would be cheaper 

My advice is get her to get a tube out of heathrow to (hatton Cross or hounslow) and get the Uber cab to pick her up from there to save you money as its a absolute joke the extra cost for parking when this kind of scenario happens. 

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

How's Birmingham now? Anybody know?

Flying out next Thursday to Barcelona and wondering what I'll be facing in Departures

Apparently Saturday was carnage, with lots of people missing their flights due to taking hours to get through security. 

Might just be because it was a Saturday on a bank holiday weekend though. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

How's Birmingham now? Anybody know?

Flying out next Thursday to Barcelona and wondering what I'll be facing in Departures

someone of my facebook said it was mental saturday, security queue went down the escalator and back in to the checking in area

i was there Wednesday night and it was fine, departure lounge A for jet2 was empty no flights at al so if you were hand luggage only that escalator had no people going up it, C without wanting to sound too racist there was a flight to islamabad after my flight and the departure area had more than a few goodbye parties, landside was crazy busy but only a few people then proceeded to security and airside was fine, i got up the escalator in C and there was at least 70 people saying goodbye to a gang of young lads

i flew lufthansa and they were perfect (always are in my experience) the week before i flew eurowings and they were shit and slow and checking bags in

Edited by villa4europe
  • Thanks 1

Someone I know from work flew from Birmingham yesterday. Two hours to get through, only made their flight because they were pulled out the queue and fast tracked as they were about to miss the gate closure! Farce.

• Sad 1

I'll be flying from Manchester T1 on Friday, the mini bus company have told us they're picking us up 4 hours earlier than normal as that's how long it's taking to get through security.

On 02/05/2022 at 13:01, villa4europe said:

i was there Wednesday night and it was fine, departure lounge A for jet2 was empty no flights at al so if you were hand luggage only that escalator had no people going up it

I don't know if you can still do this, but even if I was checking in a bag at the main part (e.g. Ryanair) it would always be better to walk back the Jet 2 bit and go up those stairs to security, as it's a completely different and invariably shorter queue. 

It should be, B and C which is tui, Ryanair, alliance and Emirates go up the escalator next to burger King and then only A which is Jet2 goes up the first escalator so it makes sense that departure A is quieter 

19 hours ago, Nath182 said:

I'll be flying from Manchester T1 on Friday, the mini bus company have told us they're picking us up 4 hours earlier than normal as that's how long it's taking to get through security.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on as we're flying from Manchester in a few weeks. 

• Like 1

Â