UK Airport Chaos

markavfc40

On 04/05/2022 at 11:24, Rds1983 said:

Good luck. Let us know how you get on as we're flying from Manchester in a few weeks. 

It wasn't bad at all tbh, 20 mins to get through security to departures. No problems on the way back either.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Nath182 said:

It wasn't bad at all tbh, 20 mins to get through security to departures. No problems on the way back either.

Sounds good. How was check in and bag drop? Assuming you checked in online beforehand. 

A mate is flying out this morning so hopefully gets through okay. 

18 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Sounds good. How was check in and bag drop? Assuming you checked in online beforehand. 

A mate is flying out this morning so hopefully gets through okay. 

We were only going for a couple of days so just had carry on luggage and checked in online but didn't see any long queues at check in.

Although I've seen someone else on Twitter say it took them hours so it seems to be luck of the draw tbh. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nath182 said:

We were only going for a couple of days so just had carry on luggage and checked in online but didn't see any long queues at check in.

Although I've seen someone else on Twitter say it took them hours so it seems to be luck of the draw tbh. 

We're going for over a week and taking the 4 year old. Which means we're likely taking about 400 bags. 

• Haha 1

Birmingham looks like chaos this morning.

BHX have tweeted and said that peak times are 4am - 8am and 1pm - 4pm. Outside of that you should be ok

Security was an hour queue for me on Thursday at Birmingham. Got there around 9:30

The kind of queue that would have infuriated me 2 months ago. But given the circumstances I was quite happy

• 2 weeks later...

To follow up on the above. We're still sat at the airport (gave ourselves 4 hours to get through as allowed extra time for dealing with a 4 year old and to get some food before the flight). It's definitely got a lot busier in terminal 2 in the last hour or two. Not sure what security would be like now but if this is anything to go by it'll be busy. Think timing is key. 

Read  in the news today that there is huge problems with long waits at Arlanda airport(Stockholm) and has been for a while. Staffing issues the company in charge says. Luckily I travel via Copenhagen and it has been as normal the 2 times Ive been this year.

2 hours ago, NoelVilla said:

Read  in the news today that there is huge problems with long waits at Arlanda airport(Stockholm) and has been for a while. Staffing issues the company in charge says. Luckily I travel via Copenhagen and it has been as normal the 2 times Ive been this year.

Interesting. Our flight was meant to leave just before 3pm and was pushed back to 6.10pm as it hadn't left the other airport yet (no idea where that is) and it's now pushed back to estimated for 8pm. Wonder if it's stuck at Stockholm. 

On 26/05/2022 at 14:11, NoelVilla said:

Oh great as im going there in September hope its resolved by then

• Like 1

My recent experience of BHX -

Departure on Monday 16th May (06:10 Ryanair to Rhodes). Arrived 3 hours before flight (as advised by Ryanair email received the day before). 15 minutes in queue for Ryanair bag drop. 65 minutes in long, but steadily moving line for security (all within the building, not outside). It appeared that around 75% of the scanners (half a dozen?) were staffed so, whilst the wait would have been reduced if security was 100% staffed, a significant part of the wait was probably due to the sheer amount of travellers/full flights. Was sat with a coffee around 90 minutes after arriving at the airport and with 75 minutes to wait before boarding the flight that left just a few minutes later than scheduled. After reading the reports of cancellations, I have to add that the wife and I were quite relieved to be on our way.

Arrival at BHX mid-afternoon on Monday 23rd May. Ryanair flight landed bang on time. Zero wait walking straight up to the dozen or so automated passport gates. Luggage arrived 10 minutes later and was out of BHX within 25 minutes of landing.

Credit to BHX and Ryanair, although some would say they were merely doing their jobs. Would also add that arrival and departure at Rhodes was an absolute doddle with no waits. 18 minutes from touchdown to out of the airport (with luggage) can’t be complained about!

On 27/05/2022 at 03:20, Rds1983 said:

Didn't actually leave until about 11pm so we've arrived at 3am and 8 hours late. Wonderful start to the holiday. 

Nice compensation claim for you though

Edited by Stevo985

should be £220 per person

do it yourself! its easy, takes about 3/4 months, just send them a letter referencing the UK law (which i don't know what it is cos it was EU when i've done it previously - ive done it a few times) im sure you can send them something threatening after 90 days

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Nice compensation claim for you though

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

should be £220 per person

do it yourself! its easy, takes about 3/4 months, just send them a letter referencing the UK law (which i don't know what it is cos it was EU when i've done it previously - ive done it a few times) im sure you can send them something threatening after 90 days

The compensation request is already logged with Tui and they've said I'll hear back within 7 days. If needs be I can always rely on one of the online firms to chase it through but hopefully no need. Good thing some money's coming my way as I drunkenly bid on the avfc auction and spent so much money that the bank cancelled my card due to suspected fraud. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Â