UK Airport Chaos

markavfc40

Watching the news over the last few days and the chaos at many UK airports due to lack of security staff and baggage handlers. I had a taste of it a couple of weeks ago at Birmingham airport where after arriving 3 hours prior to departure we just about made our flight. My daughter had the same a week later. At the other end though (I went to Lanzarote) absolutely zero problems and was out of the airport within 30 mins of landing on arrival ( I had hold luggage ) and was checked in and through security within 40 mins when departing. Likewise my daughter used Alicante last week and had no issues. Seems we are using covid as the reason where as from my experience other countries may not be having the same issues. 

Anybody travelled lately from UK? I am off to Spain in July and then to Corfu in September both from Manchester which seems to be one of the worst for issues.

I also just read if you miss a flight due to queues there is no compensation.

9 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Watching the news over the last few days and the chaos at many UK airports due to lack of security staff and baggage handlers. I had a taste of it a couple of weeks ago at Birmingham airport where after arriving 3 hours prior to departure we just about made our flight. My daughter had the same a week later. At the other end though (I went to Lanzarote) absolutely zero problems and was out of the airport within 30 mins of landing on arrival ( I had hold luggage ) and was checked in and through security within 40 mins when departing. Likewise my daughter used Alicante last week and had no issues. Seems we are using covid as the reason where as from my experience other countries may not be having the same issues. 

Anybody travelled lately from UK? I am off to Spain in July and then to Corfu in September both from Manchester which seems to be one of the worst for issues.

I also just read if you miss a flight due to queues there is no compensation.

travel to brum tonight and then home on sunday so sounds fun

also think due to brexit there's no compensation for you regardless, the automatic set compensation thing was an EU rule

• Like 1

I had fast track through security and it still took a long time although nowhere near as bad as normal queue. That was a couple of weeks ago though and it has gotten worse since then by looks of things. Returning as well was busy and it took way over an hour to get through passport control and that was a Sunday and not that many flights coming in. 

I flew from Stansted aiport to cyprus on the 23rd and there was no problems. Was very good and quick. 

My parents are flying over next week thursday with BA at heathrow. Im expecting absolute chaos (and thats if ba dont cancel it)

7 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Just another thing broken in this country.  Every single aspect of our society is on it's knees.

asda last night had no carrier bags due to not having truck drivers

that seemed mental to me

3 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Just another thing broken in this country.  Every single aspect of our society is on it's knees.

A lot of changes all happening one after another over the past few years - Brexit, Covid, Ukraine war.   

4 hours ago, ender4 said:

A lot of changes all happening one after another over the past few years - Brexit, Covid, Ukraine war.   

This worlds in chaos. Cant ever see it going back to the way it was. Im just grateful i lived during the 90s. I absolutely loved the 90s

ah a stealth bolitics thread 

the queues are mainly down to  thousands of people having left the industry due to the vast majority of flights being cancelled over the pandemic  .. coupled with a current high rate of Covid and staff absences 

I suspect if passengers also didn't' turn up at the airport with hand luggage that weighs 20 tonnes full of cosmetics and liquids and removed their belts a bit earlier instead of going through the scanner and then having to go back , things would also be quicker there 

the other issue is people see the headlines about huge queues and think  ..oh I'd best turn up 4 hours early , which then compounds the issue as the volume of people going through security increases ..these are probably the same people who were stock piling toilet rolls 

On 05/04/2022 at 08:43, villa4europe said:

also think due to brexit there's no compensation for you regardless, the automatic set compensation thing was an EU rule

EU regulation 261 was passed into UK law , thus UK passengers enjoy the same rights as before. Except now, depending on where they are flying, they are protected by either the UK law or the existing EU version... regardless , The  EU never compensated you for missing a flight due to queues at an airport , the airlines have never been legally responsible for this  , though most will book you on another flight foc in my experience 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I suspect if passengers also didn't' turn up at the airport with hand luggage that weighs 20 tonnes full of cosmetics and liquids and removed their belts a bit earlier instead of going through the scanner and then having to go back , things would also be quicker there 

there was a guy in dusseldorf airport, probably early 40s, expensive looking suit, scarf on,  luis vuitton travel bag and matching toiletries bag, you know the type

it was like he'd never flown before, not sure what shocked him more being made to put his toothpaste in a clear plastic bag or taking his ipad out of the bag - and then they made him take his jacket off...

6 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

the other issue is people see the headlines about huge queues and think  ..oh I'd best turn up 4 hours early , which then compounds the issue as the volume of people going through security increases ..these are probably the same people who were stock piling toilet rolls 

Passengers are being told by the airports to make sure to turn up early due to the expected queues. 

I'm flying next week from Bham airport. I'd normally turn up 60 mins before the flight, following the advice we are going to turn up 3 hours before. 

• Like 1

ah a stealth bolitics thread 

What?

the other issue is people see the headlines about huge queues and think  ..oh I'd best turn up 4 hours early , which then compounds the issue as the volume of people going through security increases

In fairness Tony airlines are contacting passengers telling them to turn up 3 or 4 hours before their flight to allow enough time to get through security. I know people who arrived 3 hours early and still didn't make their flight due to the horrendous queues at security (this was from Manchester).

Edited by markavfc40

36 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

In fairness Tony airlines are contacting passengers telling them to turn up 3 or 4 hours before their flight to allow enough time to get through security. I know people who arrived 3 hours early and still didn't make their flight due to the horrendous queues at security (this was from Manchester).

fair enough if the airlines are telling people to do this , but they are inadvertently compounding the problem in doing so 

I'm flying off to Hungary next week , hopefully the main mad Easter rush will be over by then

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 3

Currently in Dubai. Flew out of Manchester last Saturday morning and it was absolute chaos.

Queued for 90 mins to check in, then joined another crazy queue for security. Luckily my business partner is more forthright than me and dragged me into the Fast Track lane, which was about the speed I'd normally expect the regular lane to be. We just about had chance to grab a sandwich to eat on board the flight.

Transited through Istanbul's smaller airport (forgot what it's called) and arrived into DXB without any issues at all. All very efficient.

I'm at brum now

Check in was shit, opened late, 90 mins before flight and the first 20 mins was 1 man, I turned up early but euro wings don't have a designated desk so I couldn't queue anywhere 

Security was normal 

Boarding was slow as they're checking so many things and it was 1 man again 

Edit - not packing a mask for the plane is seemingly the new stupid thing don't realise when flying 

Edited by villa4europe

Â