Underrated Movies

Chindie

8 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Also Sideways, I love that film.

That’s one I’ve been meaning to watch again. I remember it as being superb, but it’s such a long time ago, I don’t actually remember what made it so good, other than Paul Giamatti, of course.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chindie said:

Cloud Atlas is a very good shout.

Mocked because it makes odd choices in portraying it's big themes (actors gender and race flipping with some... questionable makeup) and it goes a bit out there in its stories, but it's really well done overall.

Very much agree. It seems to have been largely dismissed (the Hugh Grant factor again?)

Having read (and very much enjoyed) the book, I was fearing the worst - it seemed to be the very definition of 'unfilmable'. But against the odds, it worked. 

Perhaps too baffling for anybody who hadn't read the book. 

• Like 1

I didn’t bother with Predator 2 for years as I was under the impression it was an archetypal bad sequel and widely considered as such.

It’s alright. Obviously not as good as the first one, but it’s entertaining and different enough from the original, it doesn’t deserve the reputation it has (or the reputation I think it has).

Solid 7 out of 10, rather than say a 4.

7 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I didn’t bother with Predator 2 for years as I was under the impression it was an archetypal bad sequel and widely considered as such.

It’s alright. Obviously not as good as the first one, but it’s entertaining and different enough from the original, it doesn’t deserve the reputation it has (or the reputation I think it has).

It's probably been elevated by all the more recent terrible Predator related efforts.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Session 9 is a very good psychological horror film that no one ever talks about. 

One of my favourites - very well thought of within the horror community but outside of that? yeah definitely overlooked.

• Like 1

There are plenty of good arthouse films that obviously don't get widely seen but if everyone who has seen them really rates them, do they count?

On the thread so far Godfather 3 absolutely. From memory,( it's been a while ) aside from the appalling acting from Coppola it also needed a little more andy garcia, but otherwise a very fine film, just suffers from not being 10/10 like the first two. 

Also mentioned - I love The Other Guys, always has me in stitches, though the end credits are a bit ' I'm sorry what? we did not watch that film'

and Cloud Atlas - though the mentions now make me want to re-read and re-watch book and film. 

Also, it's all relative on Marvel, but on re-watches I've found Age of Ultron and Black Widow to be much better than critics claimed they were. 

Oh and that reminds me, definitely one for this thread. Ghostbusters - the female version ( :trollface: ), not a classic and only a 'solid-enough' film, but relative to what too many pale-faced dickheads on the internet thought, massively under-rated 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rodders said:

There are plenty of good arthouse films that obviously don't get widely seen but if everyone who has seen them really rates them, do they count?

This is the problem with the word 'underrated' and movies isn't it? Many of the movies in this thread are rated quite highly but are maybe more overlooked.

I could write a list a few pages long about overlooked gems 😄

• Like 1

14 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

John Carpenter mentioned earlier and I personally think The Thing is his best work and very underrated.

The Thing is a masterpiece. An almost perfect movie in terms of continuity aswell. I guess it probably is under-rated generally, because it is right at the very top of filmmaking.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

This is the problem with the word 'underrated' and movies isn't it? Many of the movies in this thread are rated quite highly but are maybe more overlooked.

I could write a list a few pages long about overlooked gems 😄

As soon as I saw the thread title I knew it would be 'open to interpretation' shall we say. Which is OK I guess. Take my post above as an example. The Thing is a very highly rated movie, but probably still underrated across the board because it is so good.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Oh and that reminds me, definitely one for this thread. Ghostbusters - the female version ( :trollface: ), not a classic and only a 'solid-enough' film, but relative to what too many pale-faced dickheads on the internet thought, massively under-rated 

Anything with Kate McKinnon in it has got half a chance 

Ghostbusters 2016 was a crime against the world. Not funny, terrible story, terrible villain, full of tropes and chock full of terrible acting. The effects were too clean and colourful. It’s atrocious.

The idea behind an all female group of Ghostbusters was genuinely exciting. A chance for something refreshing and new. Paul Feig being Paul Feig **** it up. I’d happily never watch it again. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

John Carter

Genuinely one of my favourite sci fi films and deserved better. Seriously, go watch it. It’s great fun. 

Yep, a mahoosive financial failure to an extent that can put a black mark against someone's (Taylor Kitsch's) name, but I enjoyed it.

Finally got round to watching Apocalypto after someone mentioned it on VT

If you ignore all the historical inaccuracies and treat it more like a Game of Thrones fantasy or a vivid dream sequence, it’s just a brilliant film. Insanely violent, amazing costumes and scenery, great acting, and keeps the adrenaline pumping the whole 2 hours

It’s a ridiculous film that somehow makes you take it seriously 

3 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Wait, what? Does Predator 2 have a reputation? It's ace and I always just assumed that was the general take.

*quick Google*

Well, I'll be.

Â