Underrated Movies

Chindie

Another one I just remembered  

He was a quiet man - One that was probably dismissed by a lot of people  as it had Christian Slater in it but it’s probably his finest film (acting wise ) and quite a dark film …if you’ve never heard of it it’s worth checking out

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I can imagine the special effects have aged really badly 

The CGI in the second one is really poor these days. Yet the effects in the original are pretty good. 

But it wasn’t even that to be honest. They’re just shit films. The first hour of the second movie is just utter garbage. 

1 hour ago, Only2McInallys said:

Educating Rita

It was on TV last night,such a brilliant film(and play).It seems to be saying a lot of higher education is overrated tosh but it does provide students with more choice.

I thinks it Michael Caine’s best performance.

It's hardly underrated. 3 oscar nominations, 3 Bafta wins, 2 Golden Globe wins, regularly included in the list of best British films etc.

I find it trickier to suggest something good that’s also under appreciated. What constitutes as something being underrated I think is a bit more subjective compared to what’s overrated. 

One I’m thinking of is “Anatomy of a Murder”. It had plenty of Oscar nods and it’s the US’s National film registry, so it’s fairly well regarded. 

But at the same time I feel it’s kinda forgotten among all those other classics of that period. If you haven’t watched it but you know and liked “12 Angry Men”, you could do worse than finding it out.

• Like 2

Speed Racer - Is not only underrated but a masterpiece, the way it looks, the story, the emotion, the action, the editing, how creativiely it's all put together, it's almost like cross between an experimental movie and a children't movie, and maybe that's part of the problem in terms of it not being very well received, too out there for children, and people usually into more far out movies maybe haven't paid much attention it because they think it's just a children's movie.

Cloud Atlas - I've only seen this once, and I'm only thinking of it now because it was also made by the Wachowski sisters, but I remember really enjoying it and thinking there should be a lot more mainstream movies like it, so was surprised to see after watching that in general it didn't seem to be very well regarded, it somehow has the feel of a movie that should have been a massive smash hit with the public, but for some reason wasn't.

Popeye - I'd heard for a long time that this was a very bad movie, but then when I saw that it was directed by Robert Altman I thought I'd give it a go as 3 Women also directed by Altman is one of my favorite movies, it's not amazing but is enjoyable enough and nowhere near as bad as I'd heard, the sets are great, the songs are pretty good, and the thing that made me most sceptical about the film is that I couldn't imagine a real life version of Popeye, least of all Robin Williams as didn't seem the right fit, but he's truly excellent in the role, as is Shelley Duvall as Olive Oyl.

Southland Tales - This movie is a bit of a mess so can be very hard to follow what's going on, but I think that's part of it's charm, actually first time I tried watching it I turned it off as I got bored and lost with it, but something drew me back, and I've watched it several times since as well as the Cannes cut, I like the different scenes and the general look and feel of the it, also I haven't seen him in anything else so can't compare but I think Dwayne Johnson puts in a good performance.

Zathura: A Space Adventure - space version of Jumanji, I liked it well enough and was surprised I hadn't seen it talked about more

Cloud Atlas is a very good shout.

Mocked because it makes odd choices in portraying it's big themes (actors gender and race flipping with some... questionable makeup) and it goes a bit out there in its stories, but it's really well done overall.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Risso said:

It's hardly underrated. 3 oscar nominations, 3 Bafta wins, 2 Golden Globe wins, regularly included in the list of best British films etc.

I suppose underrated I mean it’s regarded as a good film.I am not sure it’s widely known as a great film,whilst Love Actually and Bridget Jones are often lauded.Radio Times gives it 4 stars.

I think it’s one of the great British films along with Withnail

Â