Underrated Movies

Chindie

John Carter is a very good shout.

No masterpiece, but got slaughtered at release mostly because it's got a very distinct retro-esque style that looks silly and belies it's budget. It's a decent enough pulpy family sci fi action.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Dead mans Shoes. 

Say no more, the acting from paddy Considine is first class. Gary Stretch not to bad either for a ex pro boxer.

I get you but it wasn't a mainstream movie. It was just an excellent British movie.

• Like 1

I have a very soft spot in my heart for Equilibrium. 

I agree John Carter is better than its reputation but it's still a mess. I think the effects hold up really well

The Grey is better than it looks as well, plus who doesn't want to see Liam Neeson square up to a wolf?

Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping is something that'll get me laughing my head off every time. 

Unstoppable - Tony Scott. Denzel Washington. Chris Pine. A train. Fun.

13th Warrior - Bottom of the pile of McTiernan's insanely good resume. If not for executive meddling I think this would be a classic.

Sunshine - One of Danny Boyle's best

Dredd - Cannot believe this film lost money. I've watched it about 20 times and I'll watch it 20 times more. Alex Garland has a wonderful eye 

Children of Men. Cuarons best and hes a damn good director too. I honestly think it has a claim to be one of the best films of the last 30 years 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, theunderstudy said:

I have a very soft spot in my heart for Equilibrium. 

Great movie. 

I think I've only seen one film of Bale's that I didn't like and that was American Hustle. 

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

Not seen it mentioned but Midnight Run what a brilliant buddy movie and I think De Niro most underrated work

And Dennis Farina

• Haha 2

On 31/03/2022 at 19:45, Xela said:

Get Shorty

Great ensemble cast and as cool as Travolta has been in recent times. I say recent very loosely as it was 1995! I mean compared to his early films. 

I'm older now than he was when he did Get Shorty. That's depressing. 

The TV series was pretty good with the Irish fella from The IT Crowd.

• Like 1

On 03/04/2022 at 17:33, Chindie said:

Monty Python's the Meaning of Life.

Yes it's the black sheep of the Python trilogy, and it's obviously in some ways unfinished - it's a series of barely linked skits that revolve very loosely around the concept of aspects of life that feels like it should have had another device linking it all - and it's humour is far darker and more cynical than Holy Grail's student humour mixed with farce and Brian's send up of religion. But it's still very, very good. Very funny, even when it's dark, and some pointed gags. Should be thought of higher than it is.

Meaning of Life is definitely the third best of the Python films. But it has its moments. Every Sperm is Sacred is the best song the Pythons ever did and the bit with the French waiter making you follow him for ages makes me roll around as it just gets to me

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if it’s already been mentioned but the first AvP film is a little underrated and harshly viewed I feel. It’s not great by any stretch but I do think it’s better than people remember. It’s a perfectly enjoyable sci fi film. Certainly better than anything else that came after it (Prometheus and Predators were both ok as well but all the other films in all the respective series have been utter dreck). It’s a solid 6/10. Good film. 

On 03/04/2022 at 19:13, Zatman said:

Not seen it mentioned but Midnight Run what a brilliant buddy movie and I think De Niro most underrated work

"Marvin, look out!"

Midnight Run is absolutely brilliant. Really sharp writing. And it has heart. Bit of a cult classic by now I think. 

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

Speaking of buddy road movies, Thelma and Louise was dismissed by tough guys as a ditzy chick flick. But I think it is an all time classic. The cinematography is stunning. The ending pissed some people off, but I thought it worked. It was an ultimate act of defiance. 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Watched A.I. Artificial Intelligence out of intrigue as saw Jonathan Rosenbaum put in his top ten for Sight and Sound poll, calling it both Kubrick and Spielberg's best film, I don't know about that, or if it's not rated enough if the first place to be considered underrated, but I enjoyed it a great deal, one of favorite films watched last year.

Tried to think of stuff that imdb has rated under 6.5 as my barometer of underrated...

Gigantic (2008) - Matt Aselton - Lovely film with a great cast that imo just deserves loads more credit.

The Objective (2008) - Daniel Myrick - Surprisingly watchable fairly low budget army thriller that seems to have been a bit marmite-y when it comes to audiences.

The Box (2009) - Richard Kelly - OK if anything here will raise designer's eyebrow in a curious spock manner I reckon it will be this one. Ambitious perhaps. MrsVM says it's drivel. Undoubtably better than it's 5.6 imdb rating to me. Nice bit of old school storytelling that goes a bit bonkers.

Devil (2010) - John Erick Dowdle - I think this just suffered from Shyamalan becoming a victim of his own success myself. Neat little suspense horror thriller (like 80mins little) that is well paced with the odd low budget line perhaps but I'm not sure what there's not to like about this one.

Antiviral (2012) - Brandon Cronenberg - Slow paced, moody dystopian concept film that portrays grimness really grimly. Promising directorial debut though I thought.

I agree with the John Carter shout. Chronicles of Riddick springs to mind in a similar sort of cgi space fantasy vein.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Tried to think of stuff that imdb has rated under 6.5 as my barometer of underrated...

Gigantic (2008) - Matt Aselton - Lovely film with a great cast that imo just deserves loads more credit.

The Objective (2008) - Daniel Myrick - Surprisingly watchable fairly low budget army thriller that seems to have been a bit marmite-y when it comes to audiences.

The Box (2009) - Richard Kelly - OK if anything here will raise designer's eyebrow in a curious spock manner I reckon it will be this one. Ambitious perhaps. MrsVM says it's drivel. Undoubtably better than it's 5.6 imdb rating to me. Nice bit of old school storytelling that goes a bit bonkers.

Devil (2010) - John Erick Dowdle - I think this just suffered from Shyamalan becoming a victim of his own success myself. Neat little suspense horror thriller (like 80mins little) that is well paced with the odd low budget line perhaps but I'm not sure what there's not to like about this one.

Antiviral (2012) - Brandon Cronenberg - Slow paced, moody dystopian concept film that portrays grimness really grimly. Promising directorial debut though I thought.

I agree with the John Carter shout. Chronicles of Riddick springs to mind in a similar sort of cgi space fantasy vein.

Definitely agree re.The Box, Devil and Antiviral - all very decent movies with Devil being a particular favourite (always been a sucker for high concept movies)

• Like 1

Â