Underrated Movies

Chindie

3 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Superb movie, but I wouldn't call it underrated tbh. Many consider it Carpenter's best film.

Good point but still underrated in the mainstream I think. I agree superb film

• Like 1

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Hollywood version)

Genuinely one of the most underrated movies of the 21st century.

Just googled the gross and the critical reception and maybe it did better than I thought. But in my head I feel like a lot of people didn't like it. I think it's a fantastic movie

• Like 3

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Just googled the gross and the critical reception and maybe it did better than I thought. But in my head I feel like a lot of people didn't like it. I think it's a fantastic movie

It's absolutely superb.

Looked down on because it's a remake. But it's better than the original in absolutely every way.

• Like 3

Just now, Chindie said:

It's absolutely superb.

Looked down on because it's a remake. But it's better than the original in absolutely every way.

Agreed. It's a far superior version

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It's absolutely superb.

Well the fact that Rooney Mara can actually act helps...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Escape from New York 

Still the film I have seen the most times. Most of them as a teenager but I remembered most of the lines when I rewatched some years ago.

• Like 2

The Godfather part 3.

It suffers from a huge weight of expectation because of what came before it,  and from Sofia Coppolas poor acting but its a very decent film.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Never bothered with this since I didn't like the Swedish version. Seems like a mistake I need to correct then.

Swedish version Millennium trilogy I prefer to Finchers remake quite a bit, wasnt keen on the new ending. Decent film still though, Rooney Mara was cool, I like the girl in the spiders Web too, not on same level but better then all the stick it got.

3 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

The Godfather part 3.

It suffers from a huge weight of expectation because of what came before it,  and from Sophia Coppollas poor acting but its a very decent film.

This was definitely on my mind.

I still think it’s a terrific film and deserves its place alongside parts 1 and 2.

The finale is beautiful pieced together around Cavalleria Rusticana! 

• Like 2

Just now, Follyfoot said:

Tin hat time but much preferred Let me in to its source material, very underrated 

Disagree on that one, but I have a similar view on Verbinskis Ring remake which I think is excellent and superior to Nakatas original.

• Like 1

Just now, Designer1 said:

Disagree on that one, but I have a similar view on Verbinskis Ring remake which I think is excellent and superior to Nakatas original.

I have a theory that you tend to favour which one you see first, somewhat of a subconscious decision, oddly works with me 

I am aware that this is not an all time classic, or even a particularly good film but everything visual about The Man from UNCLE just puts me in a good mood every time I watch it.

The locations, the warm colour scheme, the cast, the wardrobe and the vehicles are very aesthetically pleasing. It doesn't take itself too seriously and has enough action to not get boring.

Nowhere near as quotable or funny as most of Ritchie's stuff but weirdly it's probably the one I most enjoy watching.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, YouUnastanFren said:

I am aware that this is not an all time classic, or even a particularly good film but everything visual about The Man from UNCLE just puts me in a good mood every time I watch it.

The locations, the warm colour scheme, the cast, the wardrobe and the vehicles are very aesthetically pleasing. It doesn't take itself too seriously and has enough action to not get boring.

Nowhere near as quotable or funny as most of Ritchie's stuff but weirdly it's probably the one I most enjoy watching.

Really fun movie and criminally overlooked IMO.

Although it's a bit weird watching it now because Armie Hammer's in a lead role...

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, YouUnastanFren said:

As a huge childhood fan of the original TV series, I refuse to to have anything to do with it. Likewise Star Trek, The Avengers, Batman and probably several others. 

Â