Underrated Movies

Chindie

20 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Paddington 2 

gets a lot of love on this forum tbf  

its even made me stop calling Hugh Grant a clearing in the woods every time i see him on TV :) 

• Like 2

Insomnia - Nolan film with Al Pacino and Robin Williams which has gone under the radar maybe as was a remake

Rambo 

BASEketball

KIller Elite - Went under the radar as has Jason Statham but has Clive Owen and Robert De Niro about SAS troopers

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Insomnia - Nolan film with Al Pacino and Robin Williams which has gone under the radar maybe as was a remake

Rambo 

BASEketball

KIller Elite - Went under the radar as has Jason Statham but has Clive Owen and Robert De Niro about SAS troopers

I really like this too. Cool 70s cars a bonus, good film 

Edited by Phil Silvers

The Basketball Diaries (DiCaprio, when a lot younger), never seems to get any airtime any more, not seen it on any channel or platform for at least a decade, perhaps because of the nature of the film and some of the more risqué scenes.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I really like this too. Cool 70s cars a bonus, good film 

Love the bit when the ex SAS bloke gives the couple of skinheads a good flogging as they watch in the car wincing

Allegedly a true story 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Rambo 

BASEketball

Would not say underrated as has universal acclaim, great movie. He only wanted something to eat.....

• Like 1

Just now, Follyfoot said:

Would not say underrated as has universal acclaim, great movie. He only wanted something to eat.....

I just think the artistic sequels makes some people roll there eyes when you say the original Rambo is a good film

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I just think the artistic sequels makes some people roll there eyes when you say the original Rambo is a good film

Similar to Rocky. 

The first one was a proper film, 10 Oscar nominations, won three including best picture and best director. Just the litany of sequels that tarnish the reputation.

• Like 1

I know this'll not be widely agreed with, but...

Star Trek V - The Final Frontier

Widely regarded as a total catastrophe and an example of why William Shatner should not be allowed to direct.

However... Look beyond the budget constraints that resulted in terrible effects, and caused the ending to be reduced in scope to a bit of shouting and a couple of rocks being thrown about, and actually there is a lot in there to like. The interactions between the three main cast members sparkle at times, it can be very funny, it can be moving at others.

I don't consider a great film by any stretch because of its problems, but I still enjoy it for the things it does well, and it perhaps deserves a bit more credit than it gets.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I know this'll not be widely agreed with, but...

Star Trek V - The Final Frontier

Widely regarded as a total catastrophe and an example of why William Shatner should not be allowed to direct.

However... Look beyond the budget constraints that resulted in terrible effects, and caused the ending to be reduced in scope to a bit of shouting and a couple of rocks being thrown about, and actually there is a lot in there to like. The interactions between the three main cast members sparkle at times, it can be very funny, it can be moving at others.

I don't consider a great film by any stretch because of its problems, but I still enjoy it for the things it does well, and it perhaps deserves a bit more credit than it gets.

Agree, far from great but I have a soft spot for the original and the films. I particularly liked the bit where Scotty says he knows the ship like the back of his hand whilst knocking himself out on a overhead pipe. I like the score too, especially at the beginning whilst Jim is climbing El Capitan, some of the photography is splendid too.

Â