Underrated Movies

Chindie

3 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I know this'll not be widely agreed with, but...

Star Trek V - The Final Frontier

Widely regarded as a total catastrophe and an example of why William Shatner should not be allowed to direct.

However... Look beyond the budget constraints that resulted in terrible effects, and caused the ending to be reduced in scope to a bit of shouting and a couple of rocks being thrown about, and actually there is a lot in there to like. The interactions between the three main cast members sparkle at times, it can be very funny, it can be moving at others.

I don't consider a great film by any stretch because of its problems, but I still enjoy it for the things it does well, and it perhaps deserves a bit more credit than it gets.

On the Star Trek theme, I'm like that with Nemesis. Not just under-rated, but quite broadly disliked. I thought Tom Hardy was brilliant in it. Him versus Patrick Stewart. What's not to like? It might be my favourite TNG movie.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Really fun movie and criminally overlooked IMO.

Although it's a bit weird watching it now because Armie Hammer's in a lead role...

Ah bloody hell, just Googled it. Completely missed that one. Even by celebrity predator standards that's a big yikes.

4 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Ah bloody hell, just Googled it. Completely missed that one. Even by celebrity predator standards that's a big yikes.

Yeah it's one of those where you can't help but think of it when you see them from that point on.

Which is a shame because Man from UNCLE is a bloody good movie.

The Man from Earth - Wikipedia

I really enjoyed this film. It was written by Jerome Bixby who wrote a few of the old Twilight Zone episodes, and some early Trek, as well as co-writing 'The Fantastic Voyage' (which is another underrated film imo).

It's classed as Sci-Fi but it's just people sitting in a room having goodbye dinner and debating, essentially, but the topics and conversation are so well written.

Spoiler

The Man from Earth is a 2007 American drama science fiction film written by Jerome Bixby and directed by Richard Schenkman. It stars David Lee Smith as John Oldman, the protagonist. The screenplay was conceived by Jerome Bixby in the early 1960s and completed on his deathbed in April 1998.[2]

The screenplay mirrors similar concepts of longevity which Bixby had introduced in "Requiem for Methuselah", a Star Trek episode he wrote which originally aired in 1969. The film gained recognition in part for being widely distributed through Internet peer-to-peer networks, which raised its profile. The film was later adapted by Schenkman into a stage play of the same name.

The plot focuses on "John Oldman", a departing university professor, who claims to be a Cro-Magnon (or Magdalenian caveman) who has secretly survived for more than 14,000 years. The entire film is set in and around Oldman's house during his farewell party and is composed almost entirely of dialogue. The plot advances through intellectual arguments between Oldman and his fellow faculty members.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NoelVilla said:

Never bothered with this since I didn't like the Swedish version. Seems like a mistake I need to correct then.

It's far far better than the Swedish version. Literally the only thing the Swedish version has going for it is it came first. 

• Thanks 1

On a similar theme "The Ring". Again the Hollywood version.

Better than the Japanese version, which is rare, and genuinely one of the scariest movies I've ever seen

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mister_a said:

The Man from Earth - Wikipedia

I really enjoyed this film. It was written by Jerome Bixby who wrote a few of the old Twilight Zone episodes, and some early Trek, as well as co-writing 'The Fantastic Voyage' (which is another underrated film imo).

It's classed as Sci-Fi but it's just people sitting in a room having goodbye dinner and debating, essentially, but the topics and conversation are so well written.

Reveal hidden contents

The Man from Earth is a 2007 American drama science fiction film written by Jerome Bixby and directed by Richard Schenkman. It stars David Lee Smith as John Oldman, the protagonist. The screenplay was conceived by Jerome Bixby in the early 1960s and completed on his deathbed in April 1998.[2]

The screenplay mirrors similar concepts of longevity which Bixby had introduced in "Requiem for Methuselah", a Star Trek episode he wrote which originally aired in 1969. The film gained recognition in part for being widely distributed through Internet peer-to-peer networks, which raised its profile. The film was later adapted by Schenkman into a stage play of the same name.

The plot focuses on "John Oldman", a departing university professor, who claims to be a Cro-Magnon (or Magdalenian caveman) who has secretly survived for more than 14,000 years. The entire film is set in and around Oldman's house during his farewell party and is composed almost entirely of dialogue. The plot advances through intellectual arguments between Oldman and his fellow faculty members.

Yeah that's a really nice movie.

There is a sequel but I've not watched that one. Only has 5.3 on IMDB so gonna keep it that way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chindie said:
1 hour ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Yeah it's one of those where you can't help but think of it when you see them from that point on.

Ripe for a career resurgence if they ever do an American remake of Delicatessen.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah that's a really nice movie.

There is a sequel but I've not watched that one. Only has 5.3 on IMDB so gonna keep it that way.

Yeah, I only found out about that one just too. Might watch it just because, but 5.3 doesn't lie often :)

4 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Disagree on that one, but I have a similar view on Verbinskis Ring remake which I think is excellent and superior to Nakatas original.

48 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Better than the Japanese version, which is rare, and genuinely one of the scariest movies I've ever seen

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I watched that at my mate's house at about 2am when I was 12. There were 3 of us and we all pretended it wasn't that scary but I legitimately nearly **** myself walking the ~50m home afterwards.

Spoke to one of them about it a few years ago and much to both of our amusements was pleased to learn it scared him even more than it scared me.

I think we'd been lulled into a false sense of security by the fact that most horror films we'd watched up until that point were pretty terrible.

• Like 2

The Matrix sequels, Tenet, Triangle,  time lapse, the island Transformers 1 & Batman vs Superman. Probably not going to be the most popular of choices lol

People saying the prestige is underrated but I don't think it is underrated I have always thought it was highly regarded. Not saying it's overrated because I absolutely love that film btw 

Edited by Bizzzle

8 minutes ago, Bizzzle said:

People saying the prestige is underrated but I don't think it is underrated I have always thought it was highly regarded. Not saying it's overrated because I absolutely love that film btw 

i did state at the start of that post that its also films no one watches

its more that for me its nolan's best film and yet its way down his list of most popular films, its got a decent enough rating (76%) but it only had a box office of $110m, if people were to list out nolan's films it would after the batman films, dunkirk, momento, interstellar etc

i could make a decent argument for insomnia too, really good film that doesn't get the recognition it deserves

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Meet Joe Black (I know @Chindie will agree)

Vanilla Sky

Great movie. It's rubbish in so many ways, but as a whole it's great. I love the theme anyway, but then the tone and atmosphere of it is unprecedented. It's calm, reflective, quietly emotional. Brilliant.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i did state at the start of that post that its also films no one watches

its more that for me its nolan's best film and yet its way down his list of most popular films, its got a decent enough rating (76%) but it only had a box office of $110m, if people were to list out nolan's films it would after the batman films, dunkirk, momento, interstellar etc

i could make a decent argument for insomnia too, really good film that doesn't get the recognition it deserves

Ah right gottcha, probably should have read it properly 

Also agree about insomnia 

Edited by Bizzzle

Â