Underrated Movies

Chindie

maybe 2 things here for me - great movies that for whatever reason no one likes and great movies that no one watched, so these might have a >90% rating on RT and are obviously rated its just no one ever seems to know them

painted veil, mystery men, fish tank, moon, rescue dawn, eastern promises, equilibrium

in Bruges because I think its the best comedy since austin powers

gone baby gone, the town and in general affleck does some good stuff

the prestige is Nolan's best film

2005 was the best year for the best film at the oscars, everyone knows and has an opinion on crash - which I thought was a brilliant film, watched it as a day time cinema mystery film special about a month before its release let alone its oscar hype (and did the exact same for slumdog too) - but the other films capote, good night and good luck, brokeback mountain and munich are all brilliant too

following the buzz and the love for the departed i think infernal affairs got written off a bit too much, Asian films as films that no one watched are a whole different thing so i'll just add in the mood for love for now

and a personal one thanks to my daughter - Moana! its miles better than frozen yet guess what she wants to watch 12 times a day

• Like 2

OK. The Spy Kids series. Great story to them, humour, fantastic cameos. This isnt cerebral, it's a set of three very entertaining films. I love them all. The reboot, I have still watched and enjoyed but love the original 3 films more. 

I think as they are a kids/family film they get written off, but for me, hugely enjoyable and very underrated. 

I think there's a difference between under rated and not reaching expectations.

Petite mamon hasn't been spoken about much so i suppose is under rated, its a fantastic film.

Edge of tomorrow and brawl in cell block 99 both suffer from netflix lack of promotion.

From older films children of men, a history of violence, dread, super, blades of glory, and kingpin.

• Like 1

Ace Ventura - When Nature Calls

An incredible follow up to the sleeper hit of 1994 which somehow manages to improve on the original story and the laugh count with a near oscar worthy performance from the titular character.

• Like 2

Wife and I went to see The Kid Who Would Be King (pretty much wholly off the back of it being Joe Cornish's work) and we were the only two people in the cinema (which, as an aside, was absolute bliss).  Haven't checked to see how that translates to official critical reception, but I really enjoyed it.

• Like 1

Ooh, Chronicle.  I distinctly remember when I first saw the trailer, the filmic zeitgeist had just reached found-footage-saturation and as such I'd immediately dismissed it as more of the same guff.  I can't remember why I decided to give it a pop when perusing Netflix on dull afternoon, but had it known it was actually a somewhat-veiled live adaptation of Akira, I might have paid it more mind.  As it was, I thought it was terrific (and the strength of DeHaan's performance was one of the reasons I decided to give Valerian a pop, though the less said there the better).

Shame that Max Landis is allegedly a colossal ass-hat.

I think Its hard to call films like The Prestige under rated tbh ..  Ithink it was released around the same time , but I'd argue The Illusionist would be more worthy of an under rated tag than The Prestige 

but , I'm going to go leftfield for one that I  think deserves an  under rated mention  .... 

I give you ..... Euro Trip

despite being puerile  , it delivers some really cracking memorable moments  (ignoring the Vinnie Jones OTT  cameo )  .. the Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen safe word scene , the what can we get for a $1 83 cents scene , the little kid looking like Hitler .. An America that took an observational look at Americans and actually got it 

anyway , feel free to disagree  ...and be wrong :P 

Lock Up - Stallone

Set the bar as a prison flick

Some great actors in it, Sonny Landham, Billy in Predator (that's my seat ace)

Donald Sutherland as the evil sadistic Warden with a deep grudge (had the eclectic chair restored into full working order) is literally superb. 'This is hell and I'm going to give you the guided tour' 

Tom Sizemore as the scheming double-crossing Dallas who does the right thing after betraying Frank Leon (Stallone's character) 

Frank McRae as Eclipse, sure blocked a lot of light. Gentle giant and body man at the garage 

John Amos as Meizner - 'Two things, I am Meizner, don't **** with Meizner' 

Larry Romano as first base - he was just a kid, brutally murdered to crack Frank 

Jordan Lund as Manley - Evil guard in on the grudge with Drumgoole against Frank 

Totally underrated at the time and still now. 

“When we're in a sober mood, we worry, work and think. When we're in a drunken mood, we gamble, play and drink. But when our moods are over, when our time is come to pass, we hope they bury us upside down, so the warden can kiss our ass!”

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

Ace Ventura - When Nature Calls

An incredible follow up to the sleeper hit of 1994 which somehow manages to improve on the original story and the laugh count with a near oscar worthy performance from the titular character.

Insert "get out" gif here. 

• Like 2

Â