Match Thread: Villa v Arsenal

limpid

4 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Just wish he'd show some backbone - Partey's made three major fouls and got no booking. He didn't even book them for shoving our players.

The only card we deserved was for JJ for me.

Xhaka walked away from him when getting the yellow card and he did nothing. They are generally gutless. This guy is no different. 

Just now, regular_john said:

Why have we reverted back to two tens? It doesn't bloody work!

Ings on, Buendia off please

I want wings. Hook Coutinho, bring on Bailey. If we can't get Coutinho on the ball he's a passenger, I don't think he's capable of playing on wing and backing up an FB

3 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I'm in the Doug Ellis and saw it in real life. I don't understand how it was even a foul. The ball was in open play, Mings slid to get the ball, then Saka arrived after the ball had gone and collided with Mings. Not one person here could even understand how it was considered a foul let alone a booking.

One of the worst refereeing decisions I've ever seen 

You’ll think it was a worse decision on camera. Then wait til you hear the commentators and Peter Walton discussing whether it was a red or not.

absolute **** insanity

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KMitch said:

Uh...  If Smith was still our manager, he'd be crucified for setting us up like that.  Midfielders aren't preventing Watkins from being isolated up front and having to try to win the ball against 2-3 defenders every time.  This isn't he same formation/style of play we played with the 3 wins in a row, it's the same as the 3 before that when we were awful.  

Exactly.

Stevie s preferred plan.

Don't bode well for next season.

• Like 1

Just now, rbcuk said:

We have no width whatsoever with this formation he keeps selecting

against possession teams who are not that physical you need a high press and attack at pace, we are doing neither and making it easy for them to play through us.

I love Ash but he is poor at left back

Just now, Dale said:

I want wings. Hook Coutinho, bring on Bailey. If we can't get Coutinho on the ball he's a passenger, I don't think he's capable of playing on wing and backing up an FB

Were not having wide players (other than full backs) under Stevie G - I'd get used to it.

6 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Not really seeing all the issues with the ref tbh. They've been much better, we haven't come close to creating anything and I don't think the ref giving or not giving free kicks 50 yards out is impacting that too much.

It’s his decision with Mings. He’s put himself in a shit position, see Cash tackle afterwards. Not only did he win the ball and shouldn’t have been called for a foul, he should’ve technically seen yellow based on the standards the ref created. Partay should’ve seen a yellow because of it as well. That’s the consistency issue.

Watkins running a bit but has a negative first touch and is way too isolated because Buendia and Coutinho can't get the ball because McGinn and Ramsey are bad at passing and bad at offering outlets to the defenders and Douglas Luiz. They tend to just stand in their zones and try to turn and run rather than looking for openings to receive, pass and then move. Arsenal are leaving the 10s open in space because all they have to do is press the guys behind them and they'll be bypassed and Ollie can't knock it down to them.

Also the ref is diabolical, but that's to be expected.