Match Thread: Villa v Arsenal

limpid

Just now, Herman22 said:

The ref is looking at reactions more than the actual tackles. Saka has been rolling around every time he’s touched and the ref is eating it up. 

Just wish he'd show some backbone - Partey's made three major fouls and got no booking. He didn't even book them for shoving our players.

The only card we deserved was for JJ for me.

1 minute ago, Indigo said:

Not really seeing all the issues with the ref tbh. They've been much better, we haven't come close to creating anything and I don't think the ref giving or not giving free kicks 50 yards out is impacting that too much.

I agree, ref has let Arsenal get away with more than us, but he hasn’t been the problem. We’ve been outplayed

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Indigo said:

Not really seeing all the issues with the ref tbh. They've been much better, we haven't come close to creating anything and I don't think the ref giving or not giving free kicks 50 yards out is impacting that too much.

I’d agree that we have been very poor and deservedly losing.

Ref has been absolute shite though.

Awful and frustrating half.  Our press was absolutely toothless for the first 30 minutes and we basically put out the red carpet for Arsenal to attack us.   How a team with Coutinho, Buendia, Luiz, McGinn and Ramsey cannot pass it out of the back is shocking. We must be the absolute worst team when in this area in the entire league.

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

Arsenal are a good side - but we need to have a go - I think we can get something if we want it. 

The defence is shaky, balls over the top are proving a problem, we need to run at their full backs.

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 1

This formation doesn't work against Arsenal, it leaves us too exposed on the wings and gives us 0 attacking threat. Outr two no 10:s drops down and wants to play tikka-takka in the middle and McGinn and Ramsey cant run forward as it leaves us two vulnerable on the break. So it leaves us with Watkins totally isolated up front. Switch to a 4-2-3-1 and we can start playing.

Player for player we can match them bar Young,but this formation hampers us.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NewportStu said:

Why the booing?

What you were expecting them to be applauded of the pitch after that ?

They don't like what they are seeing - that's why they are booing.

2 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

I’ll hazard a guess at the dreadful performance ?

We're just being completely outplayed by a much better team. The way we play in attempting to control possession doesn't work against sides that are much better at it like Arsenal are.

Without wide forwards we can't play direct to counter on turnovers like we would last season. Everyone is in midfield and central and Arsenal are dominating there. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Never should have let Targett leave.

Basically playing with 10 on the ball here.

Nothing to do with no Targett today, he was hardly an attacking outlet was he, Ashley Young has been doing exactly what Matt Targett did, nothing.

2 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Seriously though, a player throwing himself in late and injuring himself on a players studs is not a foul in that players favour

I'm in the Doug Ellis and saw it in real life. I don't understand how it was even a foul. The ball was in open play, Mings slid to get the ball, then Saka arrived after the ball had gone and collided with Mings. Not one person here could even understand how it was considered a foul let alone a booking.

One of the worst refereeing decisions I've ever seen 

• Like 1