Battle for top half finish

turvontour

15 minutes ago, KMitch said:

9th is the most realistic goal for us to achieve this season.  Spurs are 9 points ahead of us with a game in hand...  It'll be a struggle to catch them with 10 games left in the season, unless we go on an incredible run (which is unlikely considering the strength of the teams we have left in the schedule).  TBH, 9th place would be a good achievement, considering all the problems and change we had this season.

And it would show an improvement on last season which is the remit. It will take a bit longer to have the squad to compete in Europe

7 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Well that's made me feel better!

I think we need to be a bit mindful that while we're in 9th there really isn't very much between 9th and 13th - and I don't think we should be too down about finishing 12th if we do - the underlying direction of travel is upwards I think on the evidence of the squad, the club and the team, regardless of our finishing position this year.

If we get to 48-50 points we'll finish top 10 for sure.

Really shouldn't be beyond us. 4 points from Burnley and wins v Norwich and Palace gets us to 46 points so then it's a case of a win and draw v someone else.

Anything less than 46 points and it's another poor run under Gerrard I'm afraid.

6 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think you under estimate the Premier league - I'd have us top three.

Someone like Atalanta would rip us to shreds on counter attack and they're only 6th on GD currently.

We'd probably do better in La Liga tbh which is the poorest quality it's been for a while. Bundesliga isn't great either when you see Freiburg have serious chance of making CL.

Edited by VillaChris

Last three season's it's taken at least fifty points to finish in the top half. Might not take as many points this year, another three or four wins and a couple of draws might do it.

• 3 weeks later...

Palace beating Arsenal tonight has made this a lot tougher for us, their remaining fixtures are:

Leicester (a), Newcastle (a), Leeds (h), Southampton (a), Watford (h), Aston Villa (a), Everton (a), Man Utd (h)

Whilst we play:

Tottenham (h), Leicester (a), Norwich (h), Burnley (a), Liverpool (h), Crystal Palace (h), Burnley (h), Man City (a)

Palace look to have the much easier fixtures, the only thing giving me a little hope is that they're still a team that's capable to losing against anyone in the league, just because they've beat Arsenal today doesn't mean to say they're automatically going to gon and win the 'easier' games, for us to finish above them we're probably going to have to start getting a few results against the 'better teams' can't just keep losing those fixtures, and also we need to beat Palace.

• Like 1

On 20/03/2022 at 00:14, messi11 said:

Embarrassing thread, No difference between 10th place and 11th place. very disappointing season by two disappointing managers

At this stage in the season it is all that is left to celebrate... Beating last year's position by 1 or 2 places. But I admit it is a sorry state of affairs that this is now the main objective. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It's grave that we haven't finished in the top half of the top division in over ten years, our second longest spell out of it in our entire history. If we'd have had seasons recently where we had finished top half, then finishing top half this season wouldn't matter as much.

People talk about wanting us to challenge for Europe, but many would see us as a team that can't even finish top half and haven't done so for over ten years, and wonder where those expectations come from, it's very difficult to jump from being a bottom half team to a genuine top seven or six team, and by 'genuine' I mean one that cements it's place amongst the elite not one that has a season or two over achieving before droppping down the table again.

FInishing in the top ten this season would be a big step in the right dirction if we manage it.

• Like 1

Friend of mine who is a Spurs fan asked if want to go out and watch the late game this Saturday, and really, I don't. The thought of Kane and Son et al up against our rigid T formation panicking at the slightest press and hoofing it long, all to nail down that elusive 11-14th place. I mean I'll go for a few beers, but I've zero interest in the game. It's awful.

The last time I felt this way in the same fixture McLeish was in charge, also on TV in the pub, and deeply humiliating.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

I can't see us getting more than 45 points which will probably result in about 12th. On paper this is a better squad than last season- on the pitch largely not.

It's a more balanced team now, a consistently higher standard of player 

Personally I think we have gone from one extreme to the other. Two years ago we had a top top premier league player and a lot of top championship or lower half and middle premier league standard players. Now we have a very even bunch of middle of the premier league players, but no star. I know some will say Coutinho but hes not ours and he goes missing in games for me far more than Grealish did.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

At this stage in the season it is all that is left to celebrate... Beating last year's position by 1 or 2 places. But I admit it is a sorry state of affairs that this is now the main objective. 

We need 19 points from the next 8 games to equal last years total

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, picicata said:

Looking at our remaining fixtures I think we will peter out to about a 14th place finish with a points total in the low 40s.

deano would've gotten us 14th. if we finish that low then serious questions should be asked

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tomav84 said:

deano would've gotten us 14th. if we finish that low then serious questions should be asked

It is a matter of opinion, and I am not convinced by Gerrard, but Dean was more likely to get us relegated.

• Like 1

Â