Battle for top half finish

turvontour

Top half difficult now, I think we will more likely finish eleventh or twelve, but still possible, we've got five winnable games left.

If we don't manage it will probably be because of the bad start to the season we had, can't blame Gerrard for that, I'd be surprised if come the end of the season we aren't in thee top ten based on games since he was appointed, and that's all we can judge him on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, useless said:

Top half difficult now, I think we will more likely finish eleventh or twelve, but still possible, we've got five winnable games left.

If we don't manage it will probably be because of the bad start to the season we had, can't blame Gerrard for that, I'd be surprised if come the end of the season we aren't in thee top ten based on games since he was appointed, and that's all we can judge him on.

@useless Could you stop being pragmatic please? It's haunting and its making me feel uneasy. 

I'm going back to the relegation thread for some real talk with elements of narcissism and sensationalism to calm me down. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

There’s some fatalistic so and so’s on VT at the moment. I think we win at least 5 of our remaining games and finish top half. We then address all of our obvious deficiencies in the summer and win a cup next season. Now doesn’t that feel better?!

• Like 3

We’ve been poor for four games but we are 4 points off 9th place with 7 games left… Beat Leicester and we are 1 point behind them. I cannot comprehend how anyone can think that both Gerrard and the squad are incapable of winning another game or can judge him so quickly & IMO harshly based on Smith’s unbalanced squad in reality he’s working with till the summer … We will finish higher than we are now 100%! Putting my neck out there… 

441EED88-6FF3-4642-8446-F486E735175A.jpeg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, thabucks said:

We’ve been poor for four games but we are 4 points off 9th place with 7 games left… Beat Leicester and we are 1 point behind them. I cannot comprehend how anyone can think that both Gerrard and the squad are incapable of winning another game or can judge him so quickly & IMO harshly based on Smith’s unbalanced squad in reality he’s working with till the summer … We will finish higher than we are now 100%! Putting my neck out there… 

It's rather telling that this thread is only 6 pages long and yet we are still very much in the mix for a top half finish despite a terrible run of form.

• Like 1

On 18/04/2022 at 07:25, thabucks said:

Tbf, if we finish lower that where we are now, the entire backroom and half the senior squad should be sacked. 

We are in a bunch of about 6-7 teams who are not going to get relegated, nor close to the European spots. Other than some more prize money it is about as exciting as two bald men fighting over  a comb. Our premier league form since about February last year must be barely above a point  a game.

I wonder if this lengthy Easter break (10/4 - 22/4) will have a better impact on our results than the winter break (23/1 - 8/2 - 1 point from a possible 9) did? Of the teams we will be playing Burnley, Liverpool and most likely still Citeh, will have a lot to play for. Dean will have Norwich up for it, Leicester see our matches as local derbies and I only see Palace as being likely to be on the beach. I want wins from our home games against Norwich, Palace and Burnley. If we can get 3 or more points from the other games, that will do for me. It might also just sneak us into the top half or at worse see us finish near the top of the bottom half again.   

48 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

We are in a bunch of about 6-7 teams who are not going to get relegated, nor close to the European spots. Other than some more prize money it is about as exciting as two bald men fighting over  a comb. Our premier league form since about February last year must be barely above a point  a game.

1.18ppg from start of Feb 21. About 45 points over a season.

• Thanks 1

We should be finishing above the 5 sides currently above us (Brighton, Brentford, Southampton, Palace, Newcastle), anyone thinking any different really is downplaying our underachievement. That would put us in top 10 but the way we are playing currently I have very serious doubts we will finish above any of them let alone all of them. Things have to change on the pitch and quickly. 

I am basing this on the players we have compared to those 5 sides directly above us, the expectations of us compared to them this season, how much we have invested compared to them, the depth of our squad compared to theirs, and the size of our club compared to theirs. We beat all those clubs on those metrics. I think the likes of Palace, Newcastle, Southampton and Brentford were predicted by some neutrals to get relegated this season, most neutrals had us in the top half at the very least, so we should all be very angry to be where we are in the table.

If we win the games we should (Norwich, Palace, Burnley at least once), we might still finish in the top 10 especially if we can take a couple of draws on top of that. If Gerrard can't get us competing against teams better than us then he has to at least getting us beating the teams around us or below us. 

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Well, if we keep losing games Gerrard will probably get sacked and owners will rethink investing this summer. So quite a lot is at stake, compared to if we were chasing a spot in the conference league next season.

8 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Well, if we keep losing games Gerrard will probably get sacked and owners will rethink investing this summer. So quite a lot is at stake, compared to if we were chasing a spot in the conference league next season.

Unless we don't win a single more game I cannot see Gerrard getting sacked. Purslow has put his reputation on the appointment.

On 18/04/2022 at 00:55, thabucks said:

Leicester have 2 games in hand though, I know they are hit and miss but can't see them relinquishing 9th.

10th/11th the best we can currently do IMO

I'm really hoping we can win the next game, as surely we have to win in a game where we're second favorites at some point, or at least get a result, but most likely outcome is a defeat I guess, which will of course lead to more panic up until the Norwich game, but I think we will cruise to an eye catching victory in that one, maybe record our biggest win of the season, and then hopefully go on a good run from there.

13 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

It would just be nice to finish top half though. We should've done it last season and in fairness despite the poor run 55 points should've comfortably got us 9th or 10th but just one of those odd seasons.

Finishing 14th or 15th and it's hard to be optimistic about next season. That will happen if all we do is beat Norwich in the run in.

Newcastle and Palace play each other tomorrow, so at least one of our rivals will gain more points on us, my initial thought was a Newcastle win would be the best result for us, but on reflection i think a draw would be better, they'd both go two points clear of us but we'd have two games in hand over Newcastle and one game in hand over Palace and we still have to play Palace.

1 hour ago, useless said:

Newcastle and Palace play each other tomorrow, so at least one of our rivals will gain more points on us, my initial thought was a Newcastle win would be the best result for us, but on reflection i think a draw would be better, they'd both go two points clear of us but we'd have two games in hand over Newcastle and one game in hand over Palace and we still have to play Palace.

Rivals drawing is usually the best result since less points are awarded overall.

Â