Battle for top half finish

turvontour

I don't think around 47 points is beyond us. I think that could leave us anywhere between 9th and 12th. That's pretty good considering where we were when SG took over, it had then looked like we could have been in the sort of fight that Everton are now in. If someone had also have told me at the start of the season, that we could potentially finish within 10 points of Newton Heath, at the end of the season, then I would have bitten their hands off too. ;) 

• Like 1

in our final 27 games last season we took 36 points, by the end of this season Gerrard will have had 27 games, so far with him we have 26 points, so if we can take another ten or more points from the last eight games then we will have equalled or done better this season in the last 27 games than we did over the same period last season, and that's with Gerrard taking over a struggling team, not just this season but the trend had already begun last season, a team that wasn't his, no Grealish, and Bailey and Traore injured for months.

We were never expected to do any better than midtable this season, especially after losing Grealish, even less so after the start to the season we had.

Gerrard is expected to improve us, but he's not expected to have us challenging for Europe this season, those kind of expectations will come when he's had a full pre-season, and summer transfer window.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, useless said:

in our final 27 games last season we took 36 points, by the end of this season Gerrard will have had 27 games, so far with him we have 26 points, so if we can take another ten or more points from the last eight games then we will have equalled or done better this season in the last 27 games than we did over the same period last season, and that's with Gerrard taking over a struggling team, not just this season but the trend had already begun last season, a team that wasn't his, no Grealish, and Bailey and Traore injured for months.

We were never expected to do any better than midtable this season, especially after losing Grealish, even less so after the start to the season we had.

Gerrard is expected to improve us, but he's not expected to have us challenging for Europe this season, those kind of expectations will come when he's had a full pre-season, and summer transfer window.

So the end of last season that Smith basically got fired for (along with the start of this season) you are saying is a good thing for Gerrard equalling that points total?

Plus while this team is struggling it has far more talent in it than last season.  Yes we lost Jack but you think of the talent brought in from Coutinho, Digne, Bailey, Buendia, Chambers, Young and Ings.  Also Jack was injured a lot of that end of season.  This maybe a struggling team but it’s far more talented and experienced than the end of last seasons team.  You are trying to say a narrative that has many flaws in.  His 26 points from 19 games, 12 came from the first 6 games leaving 14 in the last 13 games.

I agree with the last paragraph but the first paragraph is fantasy land.  Gerrard has far more at his disposal talent and experience wise and doing no better since his new manager bounce.  

Just like end of 20/21 was poor, the start of this was poor under Smith, we had a six game new manager bounce which was awesome but the last 13 games is back to before yet with a far superior squad.  

It’s not his squad so he gets the benefit of the doubt but I’m not seeing any improvements in any of the individuals now to what they were under Smith and bringing in Gerrard you’d hope for more in coaching and not just a cheque book manager.  

It’s too early to say that but so far I’m not seeing any mentality, drive or difference in the players he has and you hope you would with an “upgrade” in manager and coaching staff you see something.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tomav84 said:

deano would've gotten us 14th. if we finish that low then serious questions should be asked

Based on what? If we finish that low the position he left us in answers those questions before they need to be asked 

3 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Based on what? If we finish that low the position he left us in answers those questions before they need to be asked 

based on the shite luck with injuries that he had. not saying he would've gotten us into europe, but i think he'd have gotten 10th/11th

I say if these youngsters are as talented as we hope, and they are says I, then we should be able to give them game time and still compete in games and be able to give top ten a good go. They're still very young, Chukwuemeka and Iroegbunam still eighteen, so I doubt they're expecting to start games, just give them more minutes off the bench, maybe give Chrisene a chance as well if the opportunity presents itself.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tomav84 said:

based on the shite luck with injuries that he had. not saying he would've gotten us into europe, but i think he'd have gotten 10th/11th

We were 17th joint points with Leeds with 10 who were 16th. 10 points from 11 games. With our run in to Christmas after Southampton we had 7 games. The only one we may have taken points from was Norwich. It would have been desperate imo. 

10 hours ago, useless said:

I say if these youngsters are as talented as we hope, and they are says I, then we should be able to give them game time and still compete in games and be able to give top ten a good go. They're still very young, Chukwuemeka and Iroegbunam still eighteen, so I doubt they're expecting to start games, just give them more minutes off the bench, maybe give Chrisene a chance as well if the opportunity presents itself.

He couldn't do any worse than Young.

On 06/04/2022 at 21:34, tomav84 said:

People seem to ignore this. 

Our first game of the season we played Ashley Young and El Ghazi as our wingers. 

The next game we had Hourihane and Wesley on the bench. Wesley actually got on the pitch. 

Then against Brentford we had Carney and Young playing CM.

Buendia and Bailey were no where near march fit to start the season as well. 

All conveniently ignored for some reason. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

People seem to ignore this. 

Our first game of the season we played Ashley Young and El Ghazi as our wingers. 

The next game we had Hourihane and Wesley on the bench. Wesley actually got on the pitch. 

Then against Brentford we had Carney and Young playing CM.

Buendia and Bailey were no where near march fit to start the season as well. 

All conveniently ignored for some reason. 

I think the Newcastle or Brentford game Luiz had to rush back from his holidays after the Copa America and Olympics to play

• Like 1

Leicester a, Norwich h, Burnley a, Liverpool h, Crystal Palace h, Burnley h, Man City a

If we assume losses to Liverpool and City. That leaves 5 games we can get points in. If we can get three wins in those home games and two draws in the away. That's 11 more points and we inflict a defeat on Palace. 

That'll get us to 47 points and constitute as good an end to the season as we can hope for really. So anywhere between 10 and 12 points is the target.

We should give ourselves a chance of 10th then. Winning two of our last three games too. Hopefully that'll be enough to suggest we can push on next season and be able to attract players 

On 06/04/2022 at 23:20, messi11 said:

I'd take 15th place over 10th place if it means Carney, Tim and the rest of the youngsters actually get starts/minutes

I'd take 10th over 15th even if it means Carney, Tim and other youngsters never play another minute this season.

Â