Battle for top half finish

turvontour

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

If we get 8 or 9 points from our remaining games we'll end 9th in the points table since Gerrard took over. Which is okish. Would mean Newcastle, Wolves and the big 6 ahead of us.

9th would do. I think most people who are worried right now would be happy to give Gerrard the summer if he achieves a top half finish.

3 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Think we’ll fall short, but I suspect this thread might now take the place of the relegation thread when discussing the season’s overall trajectory.

I mean it's still largely in our hands to finish top half. Ten points from remaining and we'd be 9th I'd imagine.

7 points may do it...beating Palace anyway should mean finishing above them you'd think and depends how seriously leicester take rest of the season. Got Spurs and Chelsea away still to play.

Really annoyed we messed up the two games v Wolves still....as I predicted six weeks back they're having a wretched end to the season and still got to play Chelsea, Liverpool and Man. City so they'll finish in 8th on less points than we got for finishing 11th last year.

• Like 4

Just now, AvonVillain said:

It's all rather mediocre isn't it, hoping to somehow get enough points for a 9th/10th place finish?

It is a mediocre season, you're right, but its important we finish as high as possible. If you're a prospective signing this summer and you're being sold a vision to join a villa that finished 9th to push for Europe next season, it's far more attractive/believable than if we'd finished 15th, which sounds like we were just about good enough to stay in the league.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, turvontour said:

I mean it's still largely in our hands to finish top half. Ten points from remaining and we'd be 9th I'd imagine.

Ten points would be a phenomenal return over the next five games, considering two of them are Liverpool and Man City. 

I think seven points is more likely and that requires us to beat a resurgent Burnley - maybe by our second game against them they’ll be safe and take their foot off.

We’ll be relying on a couple of Brighton, Newcastle, Leicester, Palace to drop a few. Maybe, but I think it’s just out of reach.

2 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

It's all rather mediocre isn't it, hoping to somehow get enough points for a 9th/10th place finish?

I’d rather be talking about 7th or 8th (or above), yeah. But the prize money for a league position one or two places higher isn’t to be sniffed at.

• Like 2

We’ve been shit this season, seen our best player leave, replaced managers with one with big question marks attached and yet still could finish 10th. Not all that bad really. Need to really push on next year though. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

It's better than 13th/14th which was looking very likely two weeks back.

Top half would show to some prospective signings we are making slow progress and could challenge for europe next season.

If Grealish was still here we'd be over 50 points already and still have a chance to finish 7th or even 6th so shows what a difference a high class player can make if we can find one this summer.

Edited by VillaChris

If we'd have only beaten Wolves in just one of our games against them, we would be just three points behind them now with a game in hand, and three of their last four games being against Chelsea, Man City, and Liverpool. Not only would we be in with a chance of finishing above them, but finishing eighth, shows the difference one result can make.

On 30/04/2022 at 15:39, AvonVillain said:

I said somewhere else the other day… I heard for two years “Villa would be relegated if they sold Grealish” so if we finish midtable it puts that to bed at least and is maybe less of a factor next year.

• Like 2

On 01/05/2022 at 05:23, useless said:

If we'd have only beaten Wolves in just one of our games against them, we would be just three points behind them now with a game in hand, and three of their last four games being against Chelsea, Man City, and Liverpool. Not only would we be in with a chance of finishing above them, but finishing eighth, shows the difference one result can make.

If we had beaten them first time round, and not thrown away that 2-0, Smith would have kept his job - season would have been entirely different. Which I guess agrees with your point of the importance of individual games, not disagrees!

43 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

It’s been one of those seasons.

I was thinking something similar on Monday when it was Man Utd’s last home game of the season yet we still have three home games not starting until next week.  The Burnley thing is even more bizarre.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I was thinking something similar on Monday when it was Man Utd’s last home game of the season yet we still have three home games not starting until next week.  The Burnley thing is even more bizarre.

Think it’s nuts given that neither us or them had cup runs that our postponed game couldn’t be rearranged in the last 5 months. Now we have to play them twice when their form has picked up and they’ll be fighting tooth and nail to stay on in the league. Still think we’ll win at least one of those games.

• Like 1

Shit for 2/3 of the match against the worst team in the league and now we are gonna finish top half. I know we aren’t getting relegated and I’m hardly an optimist but **** me lol, some of you lot are as delusional as the ones convinced we are still gonna go down. Who are we going to beat after brushing aside the mighty Norwich between now and the end of the season? Mental. 

Edited by Ingram85

On 30/04/2022 at 22:02, Villa87 said:

We’ve been shit this season, seen our best player leave, replaced managers with one with big question marks attached and yet still could finish 10th. Not all that bad really. Need to really push on next year though. 

Absolutely. It also shows that finishing up to 7th place or so isn’t that hard, midtable teams move up and down between seasons and it’s sometimes hard to even explain why.

This season has been a bit different though when it comes to the 6 big clubs, who with the exception of Man U have done well. Often a couple of the big clubs flop and finish outside the top 6.

9 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Shit for 2/3 of the match against the worst team in the league and now we are gonna finish top half. I know we aren’t getting relegated and I’m hardly an optimist but **** me lol, some of you lot are as delusional as the ones convinced we are still gonna go down. Who are we going to beat after brushing aside the mighty Norwich between now and the end of the season? Mental. 

Understatement of the year!

You  honestly don’t think we can beat Burnley in two attempts or Palace at home? I’m not saying we will but I don’t think we’re so bad we haven’t got a hope. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

This thread is the battle for a top half finish, it’s pretty much the only realistic aim left and it’s more appropriate than discussing it in the relegation thread due to the likelihood now of staying up. 

Since the Norwich game really only two posters have said we might manage it ( @turvontour and @VillaChris)  so I’m not sure this thread is exactly dripping with confidence.

The two Burnley games and Palace are winnable, however that doesn’t mean I think we’ll win all three. I don’t think we’ll win all three. Maybe Burnley will have secured safety by the time of our second meeting, maybe Palace will be further on beach than we will. Really don’t know.

I think at best we’ll manage two wins and maybe a draw. Meaning we’ll probably fall short of a top ten finish. 

• Like 2

Â