Battle for top half finish

turvontour

44 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Brighton have just lost their last 5 and still have all of Spurs, Man. United and West Ham to play at home. Think they've got Man. City away aswell.

Southampton dipped after their good run, have four home games left and three of them v Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool.

Palace got homes left v Man. United and Arsenal.

Leicester got easier run in but will probably go deep in the conference league.

I'd be incredibly disappointed to finish outside top 10 now. Yes we have tough games but also play Burnley twice and also Norwich at home who'll probably be down by time they turn up at VP so we should still be capable to get close to 50 points.

Hadn't really factored in Newcastle. Would be embarrassing finishing below them but I suspect they'll ease up once they get to 40 points.

Well that's made me feel better!

I think we need to be a bit mindful that while we're in 9th there really isn't very much between 9th and 13th - and I don't think we should be too down about finishing 12th if we do - the underlying direction of travel is upwards I think on the evidence of the squad, the club and the team, regardless of our finishing position this year.

28 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Incidentally, if we played in Serie A, where do people think we'd finish?

probably 8th or 9th, we are probably a similar level to Sassuolo or Fiorentina

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

I think you under estimate the Premier league - I'd have us top three.

I dont see it. Sassuolo for example had 3 players in the Euro 2020 winning squad.

Roma are 7th and have an incredible midfield of Pellegrini, Oliveira, Cristante and Veretout who would all stroll into our midfield 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

No I wouldn't. Only one English team left in the Europa League and they will probably go out on Thursday. Leicester lost to Warsaw and got knocked out by Spartak

Have they fielded weakened sides?

I thought when the season started that we would finish 11th again and, whilst the journey to get there has been more turbulent than I thought, I have seen little to change my mind. We will just miss out on the top half.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PaulC said:

In the top 2 

United who spent hundreds of millions struggled against 6th place Atalanta who had an injury crisis, Liverpool were a dodgy red card away from getting knocked out by 3rd placed Inter at Anfield

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Pellegrini, Luiz, Coutinho, Mcginn for me.

Definitely not. McGinn would be a relegation battler in any technical league, could even argue he isnt a top half Premier League player

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

United who spent hundreds of millions struggled against 6th place Atalanta who had an injury crisis, Liverpool were a dodgy red card away from getting knocked out by 3rd placed Inter at Anfield

One off games though and we beat United away. As for Liverpool they won the first leg 2-0 and they missed a lot of chances in the 2nd.  Theres a clear gulf between the Premier League and Serie a now. 

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

One off games though and we beat United away. As for Liverpool they won the first leg 2-0 and they missed a lot of chances in the 2nd.  Theres a clear gulf between the Premier League and Serie a now. 

There is a gulf between the top teams thats it yet Liverpool struggled against Inter

You are incredibly naive or arrogant if you think Villa would finish in the top 2 in Serie A

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

You are incredibly naive or arrogant if you think Villa would finish in the top 2 in Serie A

Tongue in cheek but I think we'd be pushing for a champions league place. 

6 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Bailey yes, the kids yes, for me Traore gets moved on in the summer.

I disagree - there's quality there when he's fit. He proved himself as real threat up front this time last year. Lange will have a big say in who stays and who goes and won't want to make a loss on any of his signings. There's no reason why both Traore and Bailey shouldn't be considered for Ings' and Watkins' place in the team.

On 14/03/2022 at 15:03, supermon said:

It'd be nice to see Bailey, Traore and some of the kids get more game time now seeing as we are pretty much certain to get mid table.

I'd still keep a strong first team but maybe tinker more often to see what our fringe and youth players can do. 

Troare?! Jeez forgot what he looks like! 

9th is the most realistic goal for us to achieve this season.  Spurs are 9 points ahead of us with a game in hand...  It'll be a struggle to catch them with 10 games left in the season, unless we go on an incredible run (which is unlikely considering the strength of the teams we have left in the schedule).  TBH, 9th place would be a good achievement, considering all the problems and change we had this season.

• Like 2

Â