Kalvin Phillips

Delphinho123

1 hour ago, John said:

Three consecutive sixth-place PL finishes...bring it on! ;)

Indeed! And we have to be realistic about what type of player is going to get us there.

When you finish mid-table, your best bet is signing players who are roughly Europa League quality. You can try going after Champions League players, but there's usually a catch - a bad injury record, a spell of bad form, or they're past the peak, etc.

If we then progress to a Top 6-8 finish, we can start attracting a higher calibre of player, but it's going to be a journey.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Indeed! And we have to be realistic about what type of player is going to get us there.

When you finish mid-table, your best bet is signing players who are roughly Europa League quality. You can try going after Champions League players, but there's usually a catch - a bad injury record, a spell of bad form, or they're past the peak, etc.

If we then progress to a Top 6-8 finish, we can start attracting a higher calibre of player, but it's going to be a journey.

That is if you look only within the Prem. A midtable club in England can sometimes buy a Champions League player from France or Germany, sometimes from Italy or Spain as well.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

That is if you look only within the Prem. A midtable club in England can sometimes buy a Champions League player from France or Germany, sometimes from Italy or Spain as well.

Fair point, but "Champions League" quality means different things in different leagues. Wesley played in the Champions League, as did Sanson, Bailey, etc. I don't think that means they'd be of interest to a top 4 Premier League side.

I'm talking about the sorts of players who feature regularly in the knockout stages.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Fair point, but "Champions League" quality means different things in different leagues. Wesley played in the Champions League, as did Sanson, Bailey, etc. I don't think that means they'd be of interest to a top 4 Premier League side.

I'm talking about the sorts of players who feature regularly in the knockout stages.

I’m not saying we should buy more squad players from Brugge. But good players from clubs like Lille, Lyon, Marseilles, Dortmund, Leipzig, Sevilla, Napoli etc.

With a little luck you can even sign standout players from those clubs, like Newcastle did with Bruno Guimaraes.

• Like 1

He would be a good signing. Leeds have really missed him this season. Buying English players are more expensive but if he stays fit then hes a nailed on improvement to what we have and we could spend 30/40 million on a player from the German or French league and they end just being squad players. 

• Like 1

So now I’m reading this would be and as we could sign two or three other random promising players. And yet everyone was clamouring to just spend big money on 2-3 proven players, which Phillips quite clearly is.

I really despair at Villa fans sometimes. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Spoony said:

So now I’m reading this would be and as we could sign two or three other random promising players. And yet everyone was clamouring to just spend big money on 2-3 proven players, which Phillips quite clearly is.

I really despair at Villa fans sometimes. 

Is he really proven though? He has spent a majority of this season injured and players can decline from a good first top flight season look at Ollie. Jacob Ramsey has actually played more Premier League games than Phillips

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

£60m for Kalvin Phillips would be absolutely ridiculous. I can't even say I've been that blown away by him when I've seen him play to be honest. He's a good player but no-where near worth paying that much for.

6 hours ago, John said:

Three consecutive sixth-place PL finishes...bring it on! ;)

... followed by 10 years of despair, a relegation and near insolvency.

Lavish spending is not the way to success.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

because none of them want him. It will probably be us and Newcastle chasing him this summer

Man Utd, Arse and Spurs would all have interest and European CL sides too.

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

no they wont. He wont be on the radar of any European team and the 3 mentioned can get better value elsewhere. Spurs for example signed Bentancur for a third of the cost and he is superior on the ball

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Man U have been interested in Phillps before, but they’ve appeared equally interested in McGinn…

Don’t think Arsenal or Spurs would pay 60m for Phillips, it wouldn’t fit their transfer policies to pay that much for a 26-year-old and their fans would likely riot.

For perspective, 60m would make Phillips Spurs’ record signing, and a salary of 10m per year would be almost exactly what they pay Harry Kane.

Edited by VillaParkAvenue
  • Thanks 1

Â