Kalvin Phillips

Delphinho123

11 minutes ago, messi11 said:

£60 million for Philips THANKS!

FTFY

How can you say this…

12 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Villa should be a club signing the best young talents in the UK/WORLD not signing finish articles.

and name these players

12 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Guehi, Eze and Michael Olise

Good PL players but far far far from world class

• Like 1

I’d rather spend £60m on Phillips than two £30m players from abroad. Buy cheap, buy twice. Phillips is a top 6 player who starts for England. 

Move players like Traore, Targett, Luiz on, and spend all that money on bringing Phillips here. Our squad is bloated and it’s full of average players. We need quality. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’d rather spend £60m on Phillips than two £30m players from abroad. Buy cheap, buy twice. Phillips is a top 6 player who starts for England. 

Move players like Traore, Targett, Luiz on, and spend all that money on bringing Phillips here. Our squad is bloated and it’s full of average players. We need quality. 

Philips is the required quality to finish in a European place.

I would also say there is far better value to be had on other players and crucially I seriously worry about his injury record.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

If he is a top6 player why is he linked to Villa only. Is a couple of top 6 teams with poor midfielders that he could improve if he was that good 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

If he is a top6 player why is he linked to Villa only. Is a couple of top 6 teams with poor midfielders that he could improve if he was that good 

Like? You could only argue Man U, but who want title level players in the summer.  City, Liverpool and Chelsea have equivalent.  West Ham, Arsenal and Spurs have one equivalent.  So if they already have that level doesn’t mean he isn’t that level.

Edited by nick76

24 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He could Improve Man Utd, Arsenal.....maybe Liverpool and Spurs.

I just wouldn't pay the price knowing I can get as good elsewhere for less on fee/wages without the same injury concerns.

4 Year 100m pound bets are scary, you have to be 99% sure

Edited by paul514

11 minutes ago, paul514 said:

4 Year 100 pound bets are scary, you have to be 99% sure

and you don’t think Phillips is? I don’t see it being a risk because he definitely has the talent, a lot lower risk than somebody from abroad who are really risky. The risk for Phillips is injuries. In terms of talent, it’s a no brainer for me, you get him in.  I don’t think he’d come to us anyway he want a higher placed team.

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

and you don’t think Phillips is? I don’t see it being a risk because he definitely has the talent, a lot lower risk than somebody from abroad who are really risky. The risk for Phillips is injuries. In terms of talent, it’s a no brainer for me, you get him in.  I don’t think he’d come to us anyway he want a higher placed team.

He has talent, no one will say otherwise.

Personally I don’t think the risk is that big buying foreign players who haven’t played in the league before.

These days with scouting and data analysis you know an awful lot about a player than you used to.

I’m pretty sure for that 100 million you could buy and pay the wages of both Kamara and Gravenberch for example.

Injury is a big worry but as you say it’s all academic anyway, why leave Leeds if they will give you a big pay rise and the top 6 don’t want to pay the cost for you?

50 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Honestly, the only top 6 teams he’d get in are Arsenal and United and there’s no way either of them would drop 50m+ on a guy that wouldn’t hugely improve them. 

14 minutes ago, paul514 said:

He has talent, no one will say otherwise.

Personally I don’t think the risk is that big buying foreign players who haven’t played in the league before.

These days with scouting and data analysis you know an awful lot about a player than you used to.

I’m pretty sure for that 100 million you could buy and pay the wages of both Kamara and Gravenberch for example.

Injury is a big worry but as you say it’s all academic anyway, why leave Leeds if they will give you a big pay rise and the top 6 don’t want to pay the cost for you?

Apart from the elite players I don’t think any level of scouting shows whether foreign players can cope with the PL.  So many hits and misses down the years for so many teams for Mid range players ie not elite and not shit.  I think the risk is incredibly high even in this day and age because our league is so different to the European leagues.

I agree re the last paragraph hence why I don’t think he’d leave Leeds for us.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Not sure why you give so much credence to “links” as 99% of the time they’re merely BS. But if it makes you feel any better, going off the whacky world of links; West Ham, Real Madrid, Man U and Liverpool are reportedly linked to him.

Edited by Aston_Villan4

7 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

60m on Phillips?

You gotta be havin a laugh, i pity anyone who spends 60m on him, yeah he's a good player. but 60m?, no frickin way.

Plus the fact he’s not  signing for us in a million years

Edited by Follyfoot

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

FTFY

How can you say this…

and name these players

Good PL players but far far far from world class

Add to that Eze definitley on record as saying he's a South London boy who wanted to stay in London and I'm sure olise was similar too, we couldn't sign those players

FWIW i think it looks like villa have set up to go younger, Palace bought Eze, Guehi and Olise after all 3 of them went to a different London clubs youth academy, villa are trying to get these kids to come through ours 

We increase the home grown talent and then look to buy 1 or 2 top talents per summer, both aspects of that idea are hard to achieve 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Plus the fact he’s not  signing for us in a million years

Try and avoid making broad statements like that. If he doesn’t sign for us no one will remember it. If he does…….everyone will remember it 😉

Edited by meregreen

3 hours ago, av1 said:

You’re talking rubbish.

Crystal Palace are 3 places and two points behind us. And why are those players at Palace rather than Chelsea/Liverpool/City etc?  Because they are exactly that, talents that haven’t yet achieved anything. 

Like it or not, to move to the next level you need a few “finished articles” and they cost money. 

Such as Bentancur? Bissouma? Fabinho? Ndidi? 

The only player in his position that has cost £60M is Rodri, and he's properly world world class and City burn through money with consummate ease. Phillips is good, but isn't the best player in the world in his position which £60M would reflect. 

2 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Try and avoid making broad statements like that. If he doesn’t sign for us no one will remember it. If he does…….everyone will remember it 😉

I’m starting a countdown from 1 million years from tomorrow.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, paul514 said:

But there is zero chance Gravenberch will join us and Kamara is highly unlikely also… So yeah Hypothetically you are right those two are theoretically available to an elite team - something we are not. Phillips at £60mill is about right if Declan Rice is an £80 mill + and if he is the last piece of the jigsaw then he is worth it.

In terms of fees, I think some need to realise that with the wealth on offer each season if we can increase off the pitch profitability then spending £100mill per season plus is gunna be the kinda norm. It’s not like seasons before when we would have had to have sold someone for a big fee to help fund our transfers…. with pretty much zero debt we are well placed to go to us to grow and build. 

1 minute ago, thabucks said:

But there is zero chance Gravenberch will join us and Kamara is highly unlikely also… So yeah Hypothetically you are right those two are theoretically available to an elite team - something we are not. Phillips at £60mill is about right if Declan Rice is an £80 mill + and if he is the last piece of the jigsaw then he is worth it.

In terms of fees, I think some need to realise that with the wealth on offer each season if we can increase off the pitch profitability then spending £100mill per season plus is gunna be the kinda norm. It’s not like seasons before when we would have had to have sold someone for a big fee to help fund our transfers…. with pretty much zero debt we are well placed to go to us to grow and build. 

Is there zero chance? I don't know, no one has brought them yet and they both play for teams that are lesser than us for various reasons.

It is besides the point though I can name a whole host of others, like Dale said above on this page is Phillips world class? For that price in his position that is a world class price.

Â