Kalvin Phillips

Delphinho123

12 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

It’s very rare to survive a plane crash, and if the survivor crashes again she would statistically die that second time. How is this supposed to be comforting?

Best thing to do is sit on the Black Box - they always find them. 😉

• Like 1

He's a top player, only Rice is better in my opinion in that position. They would want £80m minimum for him though (£30m more than we would have got JWP for), given he is an England ever-present (when available) and as he comes from a Leeds family, I still suspect we would struggle to persuade him that his future should be at Villa Park, if we decide to try to again, having been turned down by him and his late grandmother once. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

Like if you are scared of flying you should sit next to someone who has survived s plane crash - cos the chances of them being in a second plane crash are infinitesimal.

Granted, not a perfect analogy but still...

23 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

It’s very rare to survive a plane crash, and if the survivor crashes again she would statistically die that second time. How is this supposed to be comforting?

This is a fallacy isn't it? Like the idea that you're more likely to win the lottery this Friday if you play every week, but I just buy a ticket for this Friday.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John said:

He's a top player, only Rice is better in my opinion in that position. They would want £80m minimum for him though (£30m more than we would have got JWP for), given he is an England ever-present (when available) and as he comes from a Leeds family, I still suspect we would struggle to persuade him that his future should be at Villa Park, if we decide to try to again, having been turned down by him and his late grandmother once. 

I think the most expensive Championship sale ever was Ake for £40m to City. No way are Leeds getting double that after they go down.

• Like 3

Think price will be about 40m if Leeds go down.

I bet he's got a Grealish style release clause in the new deal he signed a while ago and will certainly be activated if they go down as no way would he be a started ahead of Jude Bellingham at world cup if he's back playing in championship. Even Southgate has his limits.

That said I doubt we'll be anywhere near his first choice. Apparently West Ham looking at him to replace Rice and wouldn't shock me if Newcastle tried to tempt him.

everytime we seem to put the feelers out for this guy it seems there always seems to be a negative reaction from his team/end/agent etc and we go after someone else. Not sure we should go for him as surely he would have been more receptive previously. would undoubtedly improve the squad and team but I think i would look at other options personally. definitely not against it though

2 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

I think the most expensive Championship sale ever was Ake for £40m to City. No way are Leeds getting double that after they go down.

I had forgotten that they are going down, I was just thinking that he would be possibly be given the opportunity to join the bigger club! :D

10 minutes ago, John said:

I had forgotten that they are going down, I was just thinking that he would be possibly be given the opportunity to join the bigger club! :D

If they stay up I agree there is no chance… but I think they are in big trouble.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

Also the argument that it's less likely that he will suffer another unfortunate major injury by law of averages.

Like if you are scared of flying you should sit next to someone who has survived s plane crash - cos the chances of them being in a second plane crash are infinitesimal.

Granted, not a perfect analogy but still...

Try telling that to Tsutomu Yamaguchi :)

Tsutomu Yamaguchi (March 16, 1916 – January 4, 2010) was a Japanese marine engineer and a survivor of both the Hiroshima and Nagasaki atomic bombings during World War II. Although at least 70 people are known to have been affected by both bombings, he is the only person to have been officially recognized by the government of Japan as surviving both explosions.

A resident of Nagasaki, Yamaguchi was in Hiroshima on business for his employer Mitsubishi Heavy Industries when the city was bombed at 8:15 AM, on August 6, 1945. He returned to Nagasaki the following day and, despite his wounds, he returned to work on August 9, the day of the second atomic bombing. That morning, while he was being berated by his supervisor as "crazy" after describing how one bomb had destroyed the city, the Nagasaki bomb detonated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsutomu_Yamaguchi

• Like 1

He's a good player but he's not worth £50m or £60m

Much better value out there i'm sure - should be able to get 2 quality players for that. 

• Like 2

I would absolutely love Phillips here. I think he’d be the perfect player for us. He’s exactly what we need and it’s probably worth throwing in he adds to Villa’s new found ‘sex appeal’ as he’s an England darling as well. For England I genuinely think he’s world class and it shows what he can do in a better team. I’d go all out to make this happen over someone like Bissouma. 

Just to add as well - I find it weird his loyalty to Leeds is held somewhat against him. Bad for us of course if we want to sign him but shows a very humble and appreciative attitude, and I love seeing that kind of loyalty. He’d never be Villa through and through (I doubt we have a single player who is) but it shows a great attitude. I don’t doubt he’d want to go back to Leeds should they ever emerge as a force again but can hardly hold that against him. 

Edited by Spoony

35 minutes ago, Xela said:

He's a good player but he's not worth £50m or £60m

Much better value out there i'm sure - should be able to get 2 quality players for that. 

I’m not disagreeing with you mate, I’m at a loss now with transfer fees, I don’t know what is value or not. 

What I would say is that whilst people moan about the “English tax” it’s there because the PL has such a unique style that buying English players offers a slightly more confidence that the player will be a success. 

Phillips has proven imo that he’s a very good PL player, the only thing concerns me is his injury record 

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

Another in the overhyped midfield department, never seen anything that impressive from him for the price, like Bissouma I wouldn't pay more than 15 million for.

Looked out of his depth at the Euros playing with and against better players. I even seen him get dominated in the Championship 

I disagree. I think he’s great on the ball, aggressive with tackles, makes Leeds harder to break down. I don’t think Southgate has him playing his best role for England and I think the Bielsa tactics mean he’s often under a lot more pressure. He’s a brilliant player.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

West Ham apparently offered Leeds £50m for him in January.

That will drop if they go down. Same as we'd have got nowhere near probably 80m for Grealish if we'd gone back down in summer 2019. Could easily have clause in his deal that he can go for 40m if Leeds get relegated.

Â