The Batman

Stevo985

2 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

Does anyone else find the ‘The’ in the title The Batman, really annoying? It just sounds all wrong, just like The Superman or The Spider-Man would. 

I should caveat that I’m not really a fan of ‘superhero’ type films, Marvel, DC etc… so I might be doing some historical comic thingy some disservice 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'm far from an expert but I just assumed it was done to separate it from the 1989 Batman film with Keaton and Nicholson. 

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'm far from an expert but I just assumed it was done to separate it from the 1989 Batman film with Keaton and Nicholson. 

Kim Basinger 

babe

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Xela said:

Quite likely. There’s other options for that though. I’d have gone for Mr Batman. 

:)

6 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Quite likely. There’s other options for that though. I’d have gone for Mr Batman. 

Sounds like a fun kids’ show. Next up, how about 

Postman Batman

where Bruce Wayne helps track down a notorious Gotham City mail fraudster. 

4 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

Does anyone else find the ‘The’ in the title The Batman, really annoying? It just sounds all wrong, just like The Superman or The Spider-Man would. 

I should caveat that I’m not really a fan of ‘superhero’ type films, Marvel, DC etc… so I might be doing some historical comic thingy some disservice 🤷🏻‍♂️

There's a couple of reasons for this, comics wise.

Batman's first appearance in Detective Comics introduces him as 'The Bat-man', so it works as a callback to that.

Secondly there is a long precedent in the comics of the name being treated like a title, so you'll have villains refer to 'the Batman', characters will wonder 'who is the Batman?', alternative versions of Batman will have names like 'the Batman Who Laughs' etc etc. It also gives an additional impersonal, inhuman element to him.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

There is enough versions.

Should have called it Another Batman. 

The inevitable sequel could then be called Yet Another Batman.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just watched it, I’d not seen any trailers prior or read anything about it (Pattison was the only one I knew who was in it.)

Its a good watch. If not mind blowing. Very dark in tone and in lighting. Pattison wasn’t bad as Batman, although a very different take on Wayne, they didn’t have him as the playboy millionaire. 

Who was playing the other person in the cell (I’m guessing a joker iteration) at the end?

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

Just watched it, I’d not seen any trailers prior or read anything about it (Pattison was the only one I knew who was in it.)

Its a good watch. If not mind blowing. Very dark in tone and in lighting. Pattison wasn’t bad as Batman, although a very different take on Wayne, they didn’t have him as the playboy millionaire. 

Who was playing the other person in the cell (I’m guessing a joker iteration) at the end?

It was pouty Irish badboy Barry Keoghan!

I actually found the film a bit of a dirge I'm afraid.  Pattinson's Batman seems in an almost PTSD trance for the whole film.  He speaks very little, and there's not enough of a sense of any meaningful internal life to him.  When his character arc is 'revealed' at the end I was quite surprised.  I couldn't perceive any meaningful change in him, nothing he experiences seems to provoke him into any real reflection or consideration.  Whilst it's clearly more of a 'grounded' Batman, it actually felt rather inert and inexpressive.  And not helped with the relentlessly muddy and bleak colour scheme.  There's little in the way of memorable imagery.  No set pieces or moments had any real fluency or presence, accompanied by a very workaday score.  Which was disappointing as the opening stretch promised something far more menacing and intense.

I spoke to some film folk before my screening and was warned of how 'emo' the film was.  I smiled politely whilst internally rolling my eyes a little.  A cheap shot I thought.  But, boy, were they right!  In Bruce Wayne's first scene he mopes around with his fringe over his eyes, puts on dark glasses inside and even tells Alfred (an unremarkable Andy Serkis) that 'he isn't his father'!  Things don't get any less po-faced and self-serious in the subsequent two and a half hours.  Even a pretty alluring Catwoman fails to raise a smile, or indeed anything else, in this opaque glumlord.

8 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

2x gallery seats at showcase £35.50.

CRIKEY, holy skint as a skunk Batman

One of the reasons I have my Limitless pass. Only need to go once a month to justify the cost (and I go way more than that).

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Designer1 said:

One of the reasons I have my Limitless pass. Only need to go once a month to justify the cost (and I go way more than that).

I had a limitless pass and I used to go 2 or 3 times a week, when we started working from home though it was too much of a ball ache to mission it up to the top end of broad street from Erdington after work, instead I just go to the VUE at Star City, its not the best cinema but the brand new releases only cost £4:99 and it is only a 25 minute walk for me, makes things a helluva lot easier.

It's good, it's very very good.

I'm not a comic fanboy so no cursing from the experts please but I think Matt Reeves vision is the best put on screen so far. It obviously all comes down to personal taste but that's how I feel. I love the darkness, were talking bats here, it should be dark. I loved the use of something in the way and Ave Marie, both of which enhanced something  the scenes they were used in. The score is fine too, especially the part used for The Batman's entrance, that dark walk in was outstanding.

The lead is very good, in fact the whole cast in faultless. I would marry Zoe Kravitz in New York minute, she's a very very good walker. RP portrays a different kind of Wayne and Batman, it's dark, quiet, damaged, it's not a billionaire with an alter ego, it's the same man and I like that.

My only criticism is that the voice track hasn't been mixed correctly with the background and music tracks at the correct volume level, there is a lot of very quiet dialogue, mumbling, whispering, there's an incoming facetime watched through the phone of a man wearing a full mask and he mumbles part of it, I am not deaf, my hearing is not as good as I get older but still, it's very quite at times, not Tenet levels of incoherence but still, I need to hear every word, OCD probably, it's not a complicated film and is very easy to follow so I still enjoyed it but I cannot wait to see it at home, where I can tamper with the sound and possibly add subtitles. I have a feeling I'll love it even more then.

Pretty much faultless for me and the only thing that let it down was the following.

Spoiler

The prison scene with the Joker was not needed at all, what's the point other then a link/set up to what's next, but it was shallow, a nothing little sequence. I prefer stand alone movies to being tied into a gigantic universe, that was a brilliant stand alone Batman movie, didn't need anything else.

• Like 3

Just got back. I would say its a very good film but was way longer than it needed to be. Some scenes were really annoying as it was so dark i couldnt tell what was going on.

Pattison was a better batman that i expected, but i thought he was a average to poor bruce wayne.  At least he didnt have a stupid batman voice like bale did.

Not as good as the dark knight ones but still a good film regardless.  Wortha watch definitely 

Edited by Demitri_C

It was defo an atmospheric version of Batman. Very little dialogue between the characters which surely must be harder to act. 

Hard to rate Pattinson again due to little dialogue and facial expressions(mask). I actually thought it was a good film but a little weird. 

I thought it was pretty good, but the riddler mystery felt a bit undercooked for me.

Spoiler

One example was the 'bring the rat out into the light and then you will see me' was so dumb. Is it a riddle? Or just really on the nose instructions? It doesn't make much sense. And the riddler was putting his plan at risk with his riddles. 

I also feel the Riddler's actual motives for who he killed were a bit of a mishmash.

And what went for a Batman theme, or theme of the film, was just the same droning four notes on repeat. I think the score in those moments was a bit of a missed opportunity. 

Spoiler

There's one crucial moment in the ending I don't understand. I'd had a few beers, so I hope I didn't miss anything, but Batman's final act when he jumps on the electricity cable and cuts it a bit shorter with his chest knife...I don't get it. How did that stop anything happening? Was jumping on the cable not maybe even more dangerous as he might have dislodged something? The moment was lost on me, and it was the climactic move. 

But I liked the cast, and it was well made. 

Edited by Rolta

Â