The Batman

Stevo985

1 hour ago, Brumerican said:

It's supposed to be quite disturbing . More akin to something like Seven than a  comic book film .   

I have super hero fatigue as much as anybody but this really does look like it's going to be high grade cinema.

For me that's what marvel did well at the start of their run, their films were slightly different, the 2nd captain America film compared to guardians of the galaxy are 2 very different films, now they seem to be closer together and all have this bit of comedy running through them

DC on the other hand for me personally don't, they're all dark and gloomy with an overbearing soundtrack (taking it back to the discussion on the affleck batman films I hate the look and sound of those films, really off putting for me) they are very similar films

There are a lot of superhero film clichés (we all know what the final 3rd looks like) but batman (and the joker film) can stand apart from them sometimes 

• Like 2

Saw this last night and loved it, Paul Dano was brilliant as expected.

I would say anyone saying it's better than The Dark Knight is getting carried away, it's good but not quite the level of what was a masterpiece.

Just got back from watching it.  Very impressed with it.  Lead actors Pattison, Kravitz and co were excellent.  Great story, even the length of the film wasn’t a problem, really enjoyed it.

1 minute ago, RussG said:

Saw this last night and loved it, Paul Dano was brilliant as expected.

I would say anyone saying it's better than The Dark Knight is getting carried away, it's good but not quite the level of what was a masterpiece.

I really loved the Dark Knight but didn’t think it was a masterpiece.  I’d put this on the same level quality wise but a slightly different style somewhat.  I was impressed with this version.

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I really loved the Dark Knight but didn’t think it was a masterpiece.  I’d put this on the same level quality wise but a slightly different style somewhat.  I was impressed with this version.

Agreed, I loved what was a very different take on it.

• Like 1

Right, just got out of seeing it  Agree with the Seven vibes but I thought very much Watchmen vibes, especially Rorschach. Need to see it again as unsure what to think. It is genuinely a great film but a bit slow in parts. Don't understand the grumbling at the third act, I felt it was good, second act slowed bit too much. But I get it. It's meant to rumble with an undertone to mirror the situation in Gotham itself.

The performances are spot on, but I think slowing the pace down so much (again very much a nod to Seven and Watchmen) hampered it at times.

Overall it didn't blow me away, I don't think it quite lives up to the masterpiece hype from critics and YouTubers, however it's a bloody good film.

I think I need to see it a second time to really take it in. What I will say is slow pace aside it doesn't feel a 3 hour film at all. It's very much a film noir.

Edited by stewiek2

1 hour ago, stewiek2 said:

What I will say is slow pace aside it doesn't feel a 3 hour film at all. It's very much a film noir.

Totally agree with this and the comment re: a second viewing.

12 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

How are people finding the voice over/narration style? Does it add to the story or distract from it? 

Honestly I can’t tell you, which suggests it wasn’t a distraction for me and thus probably added to the story, went with the flow of the story.  It certainly didn’t feel out of place otherwise it would’ve bugged me.

• Thanks 1

One thing I forgot to mention last night (again I loved the film) is that I don’t think it will translate so well on home tv viewing unless you have a great home cinematic viewing set up.  I think it’s a top draw cinema film but on a 42” tv at home with the usual home distractions I’m not sure it would get you like it’s meant to.  It’s definitely feels like a cinema film only to me but I may be proven wrong when I eventually can see it again when available on tv, unlike the Dark Knight which works on both cinema or tv imo.

It's certainly possible for it to be a better Batman film than the Dark Knight. It's a big ask to be a better film full stop. TDK isn't flawless - the action isn't particularly well done, the final act sonar thing is awful, the finger print off a bullet thing is just... appallingly bad - but it's a very, very, very good movie with an incredible performance at it's heart. But it's not really a Batman film. Nolan's trilogy slowly got further and further from being Batman films, and even by TDK is already not really much to do with the comic character and the type of action/narrative/story/style they have.

I remember sitting in the cinema at time thinking “This sonar bit isn’t great”. Which, if I’m picking up on it in the theatre itself isn’t a good sign.I’m less able to be critical in my thinking watching something on the big screen, so that jumping out at me was notable.

And some of the dialogue slightly bugs me and I’m not sure why, mainly from the incidental characters (“No more dead cops!!”, “Ok that’s NOT good!!”). 

The Dark Knight is a very, very good film, largely down to Ledger. I wouldn’t agree with those on IMDb who currently have it as the third greatest film ever.

Jokers changing hair length throughout the film took me out of it a tiny tiny bit. I’ve never seen anyone else mention it as clearly it’s an insane gripe to hold against a film but c’mon man it’s clear the start of the film was shot earlier when his hair was longer, then shorter, then longer, then short again, gah! So annoying. It’s basic continuity 101!

Still a fantastic film mind and I’m sure I’m not insane. 

Edited by Ingram85

Just back.

Thought it was very good indeed. Had a very Noir feel and concentrating more on the detective side was a welcome change which harkens back to the early comics.

Lost a bit of focus in a few paces and I don't think Dano was utilised enough (great when he was) but apart from that really enjoyable. 

• Like 1

Went last night, and I have to say I enjoyed it and agree with all of the above from @Designer1. I like the dark, dirty noir detective show feel. I think Pattinson’s misfit-ish Bruce Wayne is a nice departure from Bale’s, while still maintaining most, or all, of what I liked about Bale’s Batman and adding another layer or two to it. 

Just got home from watching this, I think I will want to watch it again before giving it a final score.

I thought that Pattinson's version of Batman was a strange one, he played the part well as I expected that he would but considering it is a Batman film and he is in nearly every scene, he didn't actually have a lot to do and at times it didn't really feel like Batman, I was really looking forward to the detective aspect of the character but I thought it fell a bit short on that and they didn't really dive into it as much as I was hoping.

I did like the way that Bats and Bruce seemed to be almost interchangeable at times.

Gotham looked brilliant, absolutely fantastic, I really like the noir style that they went for and it suited it perfectly, someone mentioned earlier that there was a bit of a Watchmen feel about it and I thought that myself while watching it at times.

The runtime bothered me a bit, I didn't think that it needed to be anywhere near as long as it was but having said that I wasn't bored at any point.

The villains of the film were the highpoint though, I thought they were superb.

There was a fella sitting about 4 or 5 seats to my left who must have felt really refreshed by the time the film finished because he was snoring on and off from the first 10 minutes, he won't even be able to tell anyone he fell asleep because he was bored, it was literally within the first 10 minutes that he started sleep roaring, it was like a **** walrus choir at times.

Does anyone else find the ‘The’ in the title The Batman, really annoying? It just sounds all wrong, just like The Superman or The Spider-Man would. 

I should caveat that I’m not really a fan of ‘superhero’ type films, Marvel, DC etc… so I might be doing some historical comic thingy some disservice 🤷🏻‍♂️

Â