The Batman

Stevo985

On 06/03/2022 at 17:11, It's Your Round said:

Does anyone else find the ‘The’ in the title The Batman, really annoying? It just sounds all wrong, just like The Superman or The Spider-Man would. 

I should caveat that I’m not really a fan of ‘superhero’ type films, Marvel, DC etc… so I might be doing some historical comic thingy some disservice 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yes. Its lame. I mean couldnt they have called it something like batman: the early years, or year two or batman - a game of riddles 

• Like 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

batman - a game of riddles 

Sounds like that board game you get for xmas when you’re 10, play once for the novelty of it, but quickly realise it’s over-complicated and badly designed and quitely decide to never play again. 

But yeah, catchy title 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, El Zen said:

Sounds like that board game you get for xmas when you’re 10, play once for the novelty of it, but quickly realise it’s over-complicated and badly designed and quitely decide to never play again. 

But yeah, catchy title 😁

Thank you 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, El Zen said:

@Rolta

Hide contents

Cutting the electricity ensured the high voltage cable about to fall into a pool of water full of people wasn’t actually carrying electricity. 

Spoiler

It's very possible the beer had gone to my head at this stage, but didn't he just cut it about half a metre shorter? I still feel I'm missing something.

Not a bad film by any means - the sets and some of the dark scenes are absolutely stunning.

But it is long - and it is unnecessarily long - its padded out to be long. A lot of the length is due to two plot lines  (I won't say sub plot - as the less exciting of the two plot lines seems to consume most time) 

Basically a guy is wielding an unhealthy influence of the police force  - a plot lifted more or less directly from the Dark Knight as far as I can see - its a really boring part of the film.

The riddler doesn't appear until late on in the movie - the riddles he sets aren't clever - neither do they really influence the plot to any great extent.

Would have been far better to simplify the plot line and take an hour or 45 minutes out of the movie - or have some sort of intro scene setting of which there is  virtually none  

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I'll never know.

I don't watch post credit scenes out of principle.

I take great pleasure in watching people gawp at me as I proudly walk out of the odd Marvel film I actually go and see because they can't believe I'd miss the post credit scene.

**** off. Put it in the movie if it's important. Don't make me sit through 10 minutes of credits

Yeah i agree. I dont understand what the fascination of these films making us wait to the end.  But this one was bad.

• Like 1

Just back from it and very meh for me, its not bad but its nothing special.

The acting is very good and its pretty well cast but some issues

• It is about 30 minutes longer than it needed to be
  • Not enough Alfred or Penguin....
  • the end sequence was very predictable
  • Commisioner Gordon comes across as a right idiot like he is Robin. all he says is What does that mean.

This would have been a perfect David Fincher directed film

It was a good film, a bit more a slow burner than the Christian Bale trilogy and with an interesting take on some of the characters who have appeared been played more stereotypically in other mediums such as the gotham series etc. Robin Lord Taylor will always be my favourite version of The Penguin though ❤️

Great movie. The cinematography was stunning. Paul Dano and Robert Pattinson particuarly as Batman (didn't feel he had much screen time as Bruce) were both fantastic.

Edited by MCU

2 hours ago, MCU said:

Great movie. The cinematography was stunning. Paul Dano and Robert Pattinson particuarly as Batman (didn't feel he had much screen time as Bruce) were both fantastic.

I'd say the lack of screen time as Bruce was very deliberate

Spoiler

this version of Bruce Wayne seems to be very much a recluse, shying away from the public eye completely (as opposed to Bale's Bruce Wayne who is far more flamboyant). He's almost emo-like in appearance.
And the reclusiveness is at least in part due to his obsession over finding the Riddler

Considering the trepidation when it was announced that he would play Batman, I thought he was fantastic

• Like 1

On 10/03/2022 at 14:05, Stevo985 said:

I'll never know.

I don't watch post credit scenes out of principle.

I take great pleasure in watching people gawp at me as I proudly walk out of the odd Marvel film I actually go and see because they can't believe I'd miss the post credit scene.

**** off. Put it in the movie if it's important. Don't make me sit through 10 minutes of credits

I used to work in a cinema. I once missed my bus home (midnight) and had to walk 8 miles in winter cos an old couple waited right to the end of the credits - nobody else, just them. 

• Haha 1

On 12/03/2022 at 15:28, Stevo985 said:

Just back. 

I thought it was sensational. 
I don’t know if it’s the best Batman ever, but it’s in the conversation. 

It was excellent

hear hear.

it's difficult to compare with the nolan series, but IMO he's a better batman than bale...and i really like christian bale

but this is apparently the start of a new trilogy, so if we're comparing, this is better than batman begins IMO. and i freaking love batman begins.

i was blown away by how good this was. didn't feel like 3 hours at all. the one criticism:

Spoiler

there was a totally logical end point with joker laughing that would have been an epic ending scene. they could have done the batman/catwoman goodbye, driving off thing before the joker scene and would've been a much better way to close out the film.

• Like 1

Saw this today. My one real criticism was of The Riddler as a character - he came across as a terrorist/anti-political corruption, as well as being portrayed as a raging lunatic. Riddler is generally a more calculated psychopath, who is obsessed with Batman/Wayne. I thought a film with him as the villain would be more psychological than action.

I also doubt he'd have been caught because some woman saw him sneak down a drainpipe.

Good film though, and I presume there will be another one given the character next to Riddler's cell.

Â