Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

He looks like he has put on a couple of pounds since I last saw him play

AMN.jpg

Nah just baggy clothes and the beards making it look like that.

I'd have preferred this deal to Dendoncker.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

I am not sure I understand the poorly coached aspect, our defence had turned very poor under Deano too, which contributed to his leaving AVFC.  Gerrard hasn't been able to improve it unfortunately so we are still in the same boat.

I'm going to replay this:

Someone posted that the defence looked weak after the window.

I commented that the same back 5(apart from Targett) are here right now and 2 seasons ago looked solid (they tied MON's team with Friedal on 14 clean sheets I think.)

That was what I meant, I just didn't type all of that out.

As for the defence turning poor under Deano, well I think there are more factors at play than it just turning poor randomly. He was forced to play 2 up front with the panic buy of Ings, Grealish leaving late in the window, injury issues, he went to a back 5 to try and stop the rot....etc. but now we are off topic. 

The point is, when coached properly, in the right system, the defenders that we own have proven that they can be successful at the PL level.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

But to make room for attacking 8's, we'd need to ditch the 10's and the wingers.

A 4-2-3-1 with Kamara and Dendonker behind McGinn, Ramsey and Gallagher with Watkins up front works.

I was thinking a 4 3 3 with 8s who get forward into the front three. The fullbacks joining Midfield to cover for counter attacks. 

If a fullback overlaps one side one of the 8s and the other fullback tuck in

If we do that system we can also do the 4 2 3 1 with a little tweaking too

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Im.utterly convinced gerrards getting sacked hence why we have spent very little today.

I am convinced he is getting sacked because no one is THAT stupid to let him continue. The question is will it be after man city or will they be stupid enough to wait until after Leicester/Southampton

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

They like Brighton and Brentford are being run in a far better manner than us now.

Yeah, the way they are improving their training facilities, extending their stadium and bringing in top youth players every season is really impressive. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I am convinced he is getting sacked because no one is THAT stupid to let him continue. The question is will it be after man city or will they be stupid enough to wait until after Leicester/Southampton

This is what bothers me most.

Fair enough we are likely to get beaten whoever is in charge against city.

But with a competent manager, soton and leicester are winnable games. With SG, thry are 2 nailed on defeats

• Like 3

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

Yeah, the way they are improving their training facilities, extending their stadium and bringing in top youth players every season is really impressive. 

Yeah because that's why people go to villa park every home game. 

None of that means shit if the first team aren't performing. 

2 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

But with a competent manager, soton and leicester are winnable games. With SG, thry are 2 nailed on defeats

I think they will let him have at least one more game after City.

I didn't want to sign him, and it was clearly time to replace him this summer.

4 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

They like Brighton and Brentford are being run in a far better manner than us now.

We're still a very well run club off the pitch, but we've just got a dud of a manager.

Looking at the close of the window, I'm convinced the club believe he's on his last legs too. Get the next appointment right and the mood around the place will change immeasurably. 

With the World Cup, the January window will come around in fewer games than normal, and we should have plenty of money left over for the new man in charge.

5 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

With NO manager, I actually think we have a better chance. I also think it would be a healthy team-building exercise in our current situation to allow the players to feel what it means to control their own destiny on the pitch for a match or three. What have we got to lose? It helps them detach a bit from the Gerrard stamp -- whatever that is -- and get to know themselves and how to play as as team. Then when the new manager comes in, they'll know where the new manager's coaching begins and ends and where they, as a team, begin and end.  

Edited by Marka Ragnos