Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

18 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

its about balance, as i said in the Dendonker thread:

I dont get the hate.

He isnt a "top" signing, but he may be the kind of player that the TEAM needs.

27 years old, physical, 6ft 2, able to offer some bite, height and physicality in to the team.

29 caps for a very, very good Belgium side, reasonable-ish fee.

He might not be a "top level signing", but he also might be what the TEAM needs.

We have a problem of too many individuals, or too many similar players, we need balance, and for me he would offer some balance in the midfield.

we need to think of the "team as a whole", the team needs a balance that we currently dont have imo.

If Gerrard stays, the formation won't be changed and Dendonc will be back-up (McGinn or Ramsey won't be benched).

If Gerrard leaves and we want to use a double pivot, Dendoncker could play alongside Kamara. But in a double pivot you usually want one break-up player and one deep playmaker, which is why Luiz and Kamara could have been good. Dendoncker isn't that typer of player. 

Just now, VillaParkAvenue said:

If Gerrard stays, the formation won't be changed and Dendonc will be back-up (McGinn or Ramsey won't be benched).

If Gerrard leaves and we want to use a double pivot, Dendoncker could play alongside Kamara. But in a double pivot you usually want one break-up player and one deep playmaker, which is why Luiz and Kamara could have been good. Dendoncker isn't that typer of player. 

then ofc we need to get rid of Gerrard.

3 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Yep, sometimes the least inspiring signings end up being the most important cog in the machine. The defence looks a shambles at the moment, but how much of that is down to the weak midfield area allowing opposing teams a free run at our back line. Yes Gerrard's tactics don't help, but this has been an issue for a few seasons since we came up and pre-dates Gerrard's reign.

Yes. Your post takes me back to the signing of Des Bremner - we all thought who? But he became the hard working “players’ player” we needed.

• Like 3

I'm not particularly a fan of dendonker, but his aggression, workrate, and bite in the tackle is something we lack. Him alongside either Kamara or Luiz would be complimentary. But the midfield would need a passer that's also a goalscorer. 

My preferred 3 would still be Kamara, Luiz, and Ramsey. However Dendonker and McGinn to come in would be decent.

BBC are saying we are refusing to sell. Luiz. I bloody hope so as him and Kamara together has shown a bit of potential. 

Dendonker is a nasty, hard, bastard of a player, which we lack. Not disappointed by him at all. Underwhelmed for sure, not the class of player I was hoping for, but a solid combative option, which will help us.

Hoping we revive the Sarr deal, Moura is too old and inconsistent.

23 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

its about balance, as i said in the Dendonker thread:

I dont get the hate.

He isnt a "top" signing, but he may be the kind of player that the TEAM needs.

27 years old, physical, 6ft 2, able to offer some bite, height and physicality in to the team.

29 caps for a very, very good Belgium side, reasonable-ish fee.

He might not be a "top level signing", but he also might be what the TEAM needs.

We have a problem of too many individuals, or too many similar players, we need balance, and for me he would offer some balance in the midfield.

we need to think of the "team as a whole", the team needs a balance that we currently dont have imo.

This is it.

Its along the lines of what Howe was doing in January when he signed Burns, Wood, Targett etc solid players which you can build a base on. I think as a club we need to take a step back and sign a couple of Dawsons, Deondecker type signings but i think the "big club" mentality of our fans is always dismissing of these types of players, we want shiny new things all the time. As much as some might dismiss it the physical profile of the side isnt there. Look at Spurs/West Hams/Palace/Newcastle and they are monsters compared to us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Indigo said:

I haven't "omitted" anything as a means of being disingenuous

Wasn't suggesting this. As I stated in post I don't think he's being brought in for the role you are talking about, because he's not that type of player. We are short at CB and could also do with more height and agression in the middle of the park as well. He seems to cover these multiple roles to decent level.

Hopefully Luiz stays or we replace him directly if he goes. I think that covers the role you are talking about.

I like the Dendoncker signing. You don't get capped for Belgium these days without being a decent player. He has attributes we're sorely lacking. 4231 with Him and Kamara sitting is much more solid than what we currently have. I'd have Luiz and Kamara sitting against weaker sides. 

Drop Mcginn and Ramsey to the bench (he wont) 

Watkins with Coutinho, Buendia and Bailey behind. Or even Ings up front and revert Watkins to an inside forward. 

I don’t get all this clamouring for Sarr, there’s better players elsewhere. 

Overall it’s just gone a bit ‘meh’ hasn’t it 😭

With Gerrard appointment and the captain fiasco we’re gonna waste another season and watch our so called competition move forward. West Ham just spend 50 odd million on Paqueta, West Ham…….50…….million!!!

If we want to be a big club we have to act like a big club, miles off it at present  

6 minutes ago, the_sun_never_sets said:

I like the Dendoncker signing. You don't get capped for Belgium these days without being a decent player. He has attributes we're sorely lacking. 4231 with Him and Kamara sitting is much more solid than what we currently have. I'd have Luiz and Kamara sitting against weaker sides. 

Drop Mcginn and Ramsey to the bench (he wont) 

Watkins with Coutinho, Buendia and Bailey behind. Or even Ings up front and revert Watkins to an inside forward. 

Batshuayi has about 50 caps lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

We have to be in for some attacking options as we look fairly clueless in that area.

Come on Villa, at least make it an exciting deadline day for a change, and cheer us up a bit before we get smashed by Haaland at the weekend.

Last minute bid for Ryan Fraser and Kelechi in coming.

Who can "do a job" " has experience" and are "gettable"  (clubs are not arsed to lose them)

I think the whole club was just looking at plans and models for the new stadium all summer and tossing each other off.

This is **** pitiful stuff it really is.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I'm not particularly a fan of dendonker, but his aggression, workrate, and bite in the tackle is something we lack. Him alongside either Kamara or Luiz would be complimentary. But the midfield would need a passer that's also a goalscorer.

That’s a very nice way of putting it.