Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

8 minutes ago, burchy said:

Didn’t include them due to them being largely CDMs, same with Kamara. I wanted to do just a CM comparison

You could probably remove a couple from the other clubs too then.

Soumaré, Soucek, Onana, Joelinton...

22 minutes ago, burchy said:

Apologies for the long post but I think, as many have stated, we need 2 x CMs this window, one starter or at least pushing for a start and one that can cover both CM and CDM at a push. 

We currently have only McGinn, Luiz, Sanson and J Ramsey, which for me is not enough.

To emphasise this (and because I’m bored at work) I did some analysis on the other teams we are trying to catch

Leicester x 5: Tielemans (25), Choidrury (24), Dewsbury-Hall (23), Soumare (23),  Praet (28) - I’ve not include Barnes (24)

Brighton x 8: March (28), Mac Allister (23), Mwepu (24), Gross (31), Moder (23), Alcatel (23), Samiento (20), Kozlowski (18)

West Ham x 5: Downes(23), Soucek (27), Odibeko (19), Coventry (22), Onana (23?)

Newcastle x 7: Jolelonton (25), Shelley (30), Almiron (28), Willock (22), Anderson (19), S Longstaff (24), M Longstaff (22) - I’ve not included Guimaraes (24)

Wolves x 7: Jordao (23), Neves (25), Gibbs-White (22), Moutinho (35), Dendoncker (27), Cundle (20), Roman (24)

I think we need 2 x CMs, if we’re going to compete with that lot above and two of real quality. 

Never even heard of some of that list, seems to be a list to try and get a point across.

Cundle has played 4 games, Anderson 1, Odibeko 0, Sarmiento 5, Coventry 0, Downes 0, Onana not signed yet. 

Roman (Saiss?) is a centre back, Barnes a winger, Almiron a winger.

You also forgot Kamara, Nakamba and Iroebugnam.

Based on the criteria of your list Buendia, Coutinho and Chambers have all played midfield and so has Cash actually.

In terms of numbers we have them, people can question the quality if they want.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

No surprise there then. 

On the no. 6 position, I’m not sure I agree. We have 2 senior players there and an Academy player who has 3 PL games to his name. We do have four no 8s yes, but Gerrard doesn’t trust Sanson and he seems to be backup and not in the plans, regardless of his situation we still have the same CM options as last season despite every man and his dog knowing we still can’t control games or keep possession well enough even against the average sides let alone the top ones.

We’ve just made a 20m profit on an Academy player who was part of the squad last season, there should be scope to bring in a like for like replacement and potentially someone good enough to come straight into the 11. Of course we need to manage the squad but we also need to be strong enough to have a good season and that position has needed fixing for a while now.

I am going to disagree further.  We have 1 senior player in the No 6 role (Kamara), a player who was bought to help us avoid relegation who isn't anywhere good enough for us to challenge the top half (Nakamba) and an academy player who looks like a great prospect.  Otherwise we are trying to shoehorn in a centre back or one of three CMs who have played in that role over the past 3 seasons and proved that they are emergency cover only.

We then don't have enough balance between our 8's - Luiz, McGinn, JJ and Sanson have all been played together countless times and no combination has (as of yet) given us a consistent base on which to build our attacks or protect our defence.

We may have a lot of midfielders and individually we have some pretty decent players.  The issue is that we are still massively unbalanced in the middle of the park.  Expecting Kamara to solve all our midfield issues is a huge risk.  We had a chance to address the CM issue last year and Dean + others failed to do so.  That is one of the main reasons we finished 14th.  If we don't improve the midfield then that is fine but that will probably mean that we will remain pretty inconsistent and flaky against the press.  If that gets us finishing closer to 10th or 11th then that is progress in the right direction.  But if people genuinely expect us to be challenging the top 8 then it would be a huge risk to just expect McGinn and Luiz to both raise their games significantly for the full season.  It would be a bigger risk to assume that a player who has played nowhere near enough games in the last 18 months and hasn't really set the world alight when he has played (even taking into account injuries, fitness, adjusting to new life, etc) will suddenly become good enough / hit a long run of good form / stay injury free and help us control probably the key part of the pitch with the way that we want to play.

In relation to the original post to which you were also replying - I am not demanding that we sign new players or throwing my toys out of the pram.  I am just pointing out that for 3 seasons we have been a hugely unbalanced team - on our day we can play some great football, but when we struggle we play like a team battling relegation.  To finish in the top 8 we need to become more consistent and have better control over the middle of the park.  Expecting that we will do that just by adding Kamara is, in my opinion, optimistic.  If we don't recruit another midfielder I think many people here need to step back and re-assess what is reasonable.  Of the 7 players mentioned above - I don't see any of them starting for a top 6 side, I don't think that any combination of them are better than the options that West Ham or Leicester have and I think Newcastle will be just as strong come the end of August. So finishing 10th would be a decent achievement.  9th would be a really good performance and 7th or 8th would be fantastic.  And I would be very happy with that.

IF the board really want to target a top 8 finish then I think we need to add more quality / more balance to  the middle of the pitch.  All the noises from SG suggest that he is trying to do that too.  If we do then my expectations will change by probably 2 positions in the league table.  I wouldn't be distraught if we finished 10th as long as there was a good reason - i.e. long term injury to a key player, an unusually high points total to finish 10th, etc.

I really don't see how any of that can be construed as unreasonable.  And it seems to be pretty much in line with what many other people are posting.  Don't sign another player, fine, but 10th should be our target.  Sign another CM and we should be looking at being in the battle for 8th (or if it clicks quickly then maybe better).  None of my non-Villa supporting friends have predicted us finishing higher than 10th (well actually that is a little lie - 1 said we might finish 9th if Leicester keep selling all their players).  The only place where I see the idea of it being a failure if we finish outside the top 8 is here.

• Like 3

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

Hopefully a few more departures

Yep, shift a couple more, maybe some last minute loans out too and then it's not a bad window

We didn't get everyone we wanted and we did our business early rather than getting excited at the end so there'll still be rumblings but it's been a good window 

Just now, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I think there is one big transfer waiting to happen...we have the money to spend.

Just waiting on a few moving first.

We said the same last summer...  Nothing happened.

• Sad 1

If we're going to be using Sanson, Tim and Archer more this season then I'm more than happy for our business to conclude. We've got a good squad now and we need to give it a good go with this group before we try to improve again.

Edited by Keyblade

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

If we're going to be using Sanson, Tim and Archer more this season then I'm more than happy for our business to conclude. We've got a good squad now and we need to give it a good go with this group before we try to improve again.

I'm sort of thinking along these lines too, some great players coming through and Sanson deserves his chance.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KMitch said:

We said the same last summer...  Nothing happened.

Just on this kind of logic in general. That was a different summer with different dynamics. I'm not butting in to say something will or won't happen. Just that past performance is no guarantee etc etc.

• Like 1

“LoOks LiKe We’RE dOne”

is always one of the most pointless statements to say on here. 

if we not always watching the market and waiting for right player to become available, I’d be disappointed. 

Also, we still have about 5 players we need to move on, so we’re far from “DOnE”

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

“LoOks LiKe We’RE dOne”

is always one of the most pointless statements to say on here. 

if we not always watching the market and waiting for right player to become available, I’d be disappointed. 

Also, we still have about 5 players we need to move on, so we’re far from “DOnE”

tHe wINdOw'S GoNna SlAm sHuT BiZzaTcH!!!!!11!!!!!1!1!!!one

4 Weeks left of the window and people saying "we are done" please quit the doom and gloom crap..we are far from done..

we have lots to move on and loan out(that will always be late in the window due to clubs last minute dealings and wages etc)  and maybe one or two incoming surprises also who knows?🙊

Edited by OLDVILLAIN
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, TheMelvillan said:

I am in awe of people on here who get bogged down on the club's financial governance. I'm an accountant and I couldn't give a toss preferring instead to assume that the club have employed competent financial professionals to figure all this stuff out. 

Hopefully if we buy someone it's cos we can afford them. If we don't, maybe we can't. 

Personally i love the discussion about finances. Its fun.  It's like a puzzle working out what we've actually spent each year in terms of FFP with the fustrating bit being that we'll never know if we had the correct answer or not.   

But yes, for once we can trust the club to know what they are doing with regards finances rather than hoping they've done even the basic analysis that we can do.

Edited by ender4
  • Like 2
  • Shocked 1