Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I don’t think we definitely do and not at this moment in time. If we can have a push into the top 9 or 8 this year, which I think this squad is capable of achieving then maybe next summer we go big for a top class striker and midfielder.

We're one injury away from playing midfield that keeps finishing bottom half.

We've been linked to Phillips, Bissouma and Bentacour in last 6 months. We know the final two links were genuine interest from us.

Seems strange for us to suddenly go cold on another CM given I assume we'd have still signed Kamara even if we'd signed one of those in January.

Given Carney and Sanson could well both be gone by August 31st and Luiz future still undecided we could be very understocked in the 8 position compared to 12 months ago so I'd be amazed if we don't go big on another 8 at some point in next six weeks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Because maybe we can’t do it right now as we have too many players on the payroll or perhaps the targets aren’t available or aren’t willing to come to us, despite popular belief these days, you can’t just have everything now because you want to.

Yes, maybe we can't. But I said why wouldn't we if we *can*. 

3 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

I've broken up for the summer but must still be in work mode; my mind is looking at the squad in Ofsted terms;

Grade 1 (Outstanding) - Martínez, Cash, Digne, Carlos, Buendía

Grade 2 (Good) - Chambers, Kamara, Coutinho, Bailey

Grade 3 (Satisfactory) - Olsen, Konsa, Mings, Guilbert, Augustinsson, McGinn, Luiz, Sanson, Ramsey, Watkins

Grade 4 (Inadequate) - Steer, Young, Nakamba, Ings

*Special Measures - Hause, El Ghazi, Traore, Davis

I'd like a few more players in the top two brackets really, and based on positions we seem light on true quality along the spine. Two or three top quality players would make us incredibly strong. A starting midfielder, a striker and a CB (in that order of priority) would really make us quite a formidable opponent.

where to start with this.

Ings inadequate? I have no clue how you could watch last season and come up with that conclusion.

Augustinsson satisfactory vs Kamara good, vs Carlos as outstanding? how can you possibly grade them based off a couple preseason appearances

Ramsey on the same path as McGinn and Luiz also seems a bit odd with how they performed last season.

and Chambers a tier ahead of Mings and Konsa? Chambers made what, 10 appearances? I rate him a bunch, but I just can't get behind putting him ahead of those 2 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I don’t think we definitely do and not at this moment in time. If we can have a push into the top 9 or 8 this year, which I think this squad is capable of achieving then maybe next summer we go big for a top class striker and midfielder.

Not what the club wants though, Gerrard has said to his players he wants 7th.

Im also not convinced this squad is good enough for 8th

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Not what the club wants though, Gerrard has said to his players he wants 7th.

Im also not convinced this squad is good enough for 8th

Agree, 1 or 2 injuries and we will be back to square one, 7th is a pipe dream. 8th is not in reach. 10/11 is as good as we can expect, will see more of the same from our strikers squandering chance after chance. We won't go the full season without a few injuries! But we can't shift our crap players so we can't really make any additions! Catch 22! 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TRO said:

I still have this feeling we have to work damn hard for OUR goals.......I wished I could say the same for the opposition.

I still think we need a striker with a proven record.......and a midfield dynamo.

we are not done yet.

Agree we need both…..just any see us getting both due to overall cost and availability. Personally, think the CM is more of a priority if had to choose one. Would enable us to control games more and create more chances. 

• Like 2

We are still a very good CM, a very good striker and another LHS forward away from having a side that can regularly compete with conviction for Europe. That’s not far away given where we were, but probably £150m away which is at least another Summer. Given the quality and investment at the top end of the table that’s probably our realistic trajectory.

Gabriel Jesus plus Bissouma would have been two of these pieces, if we could have sold a few players all of the above might have been achievable this summer.

I still think two more could arrive but one is most likely. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, thunderball said:

We are still a very good CM, a very good striker and another LHS forward away from having a side that can regularly compete with conviction for Europe. That’s not far away given where we were, but probably £150m away which is at least another Summer. Given the quality and investment at the top end of the table that’s probably our realistic trajectory.

Gabriel Jesus plus Bissouma would have been two of these pieces, if we could have sold a few players all of the above might have been achievable this summer.

I still think two more could arrive but one is most likely. 

Mentioned a few times, Sangaré and Suarez, Sangaré is young and would hopefully help boss the midfield with Kamara 

Suarez on a free, gritty player you hate to play against, impact sub, just bring him on with 20 mins or so to go - 1 year deal 

4 minutes ago, dotcomsimon said:

Mentioned a few times, Sangaré and Suarez, Sangaré is young and would hopefully help boss the midfield with Kamara 

Suarez on a free, gritty player you hate to play against, impact sub, just bring him on with 20 mins or so to go - 1 year deal 

Don't know much about Sangare... would you say he's comparable to Bissouma in terms of style? I think its common knowledge we tried to get Bissouma so that type of player is what the club wants. Does Sangare fit that mould?

7 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

Ings inadequate? I have no clue how you could watch last season and come up with that conclusion.

Augustinsson satisfactory vs Kamara good, vs Carlos as outstanding? how can you possibly grade them based off a couple preseason appearances

Ramsey on the same path as McGinn and Luiz also seems a bit odd with how they performed last season.

and Chambers a tier ahead of Mings and Konsa? Chambers made what, 10 appearances? I rate him a bunch, but I just can't get behind putting him ahead of those 2 

On a positive, Villaphan seems to approve of your OFSTED rating framework @jackbauer24

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’m not as concerned as others about our strikers missing chance. I find it much more frustrating that Watkins can’t seem to control the ball anymore and Ings looks knackered and slow. 

We need a new striker, but not convinced we’ll get one this Summer. I’d absolutely love it if we could move Ings on. It was always a transfer that was going to cost us badly in the long run. 

I'd actually be happier trying Traore as a false 9 or Archer than having Watkins or Ings starting right now. Our attacks don't have enough fluidity and are stifled by the limitations of Watkins or Ings.

That said, a CM would be my top priority this summer, if I had to pick one. A new ST is a very close second though. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, dotcomsimon said:

I'd take that. We would lose the ability to press from the front with Suarez, but I feel like he would bring the best out of Coutinho. 

8 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

That guy is clueless absolutely ridiculous 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eholm said:

Agree we need both…..just any see us getting both due to overall cost and availability. Personally, think the CM is more of a priority if had to choose one. Would enable us to control games more and create more chances. 

we still need a goal scorer, who we can hang our hat on.

Midfield is the engine room, so important to get right......but goals change games, and if we don't have a clinical finisher, and keep missing opportunities, the midfield heads drop, and the energy, wanes.....and we go on the back foot.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

I've broken up for the summer but must still be in work mode; my mind is looking at the squad in Ofsted terms;

Grade 1 (Outstanding) - Martínez, Cash, Digne, Carlos, Buendía

Grade 2 (Good) - Chambers, Kamara, Coutinho, Bailey

Grade 3 (Satisfactory) - Olsen, Konsa, Mings, Guilbert, Augustinsson, McGinn, Luiz, Sanson, Ramsey, Watkins

Grade 4 (Inadequate) - Steer, Young, Nakamba, Ings

*Special Measures - Hause, El Ghazi, Traore, Davis

I'd like a few more players in the top two brackets really, and based on positions we seem light on true quality along the spine. Two or three top quality players would make us incredibly strong. A starting midfielder, a striker and a CB (in that order of priority) would really make us quite a formidable opponent.

This is offensive to my eyes.

Must have taken 10 minutes to formulate and write this, find a better use for your time homey.