Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

22 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Seems like all the transfer money being used for the new stadium. Hope you enjoy your new toilets in the North end

Just now, joshharris12 said:

Are you even a villa fan 

image.gif.fc3f71521b9d16885978b23582f1422e.gif

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, bobzy said:

God I hate what a moany, never-happy bunch of rocket polishers some of our fan base have become.

Just enjoy that we’ve got a really exciting squad and look forward to a season, eh?

We said that last close season and that went south very quickly and never recovered.

Anyway it’s not about being unhappy it’s about wanting to take this opportunity we have at hand and not let it slip….there is a difference I’m you can see that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Tweets like this make me think we could actually be done..

Don't get the understanding if that's true.

We wanted Bentancur and/or Bissouma in January and that would've sorted central midfield for years. Kamara I assume was always coming in regardless of attempting to sign both so to give up on signing anyone now and just saying Luiz signing a new deal would be enough is a bit baffling if we're really going for european place this season.

Just one injury to Kamara and we're back to the same midfield with all its pluses and minuses from last three seasons at prem level.

Can only think Gerrard wants a world class number 8 in mould of the two above we wanted in Jan and Kalvin Phillips link and he's not interested in signing ones who could develop into eventual world class box to box midfielders but it's a risk to me if we have underwhelming start.

1 hour ago, bose said:

Collomose seems to be well connected at Villa. Does sound a lot like we could be done.

He was Arsenal correspondent for Evening Standard a few years back so I assume it's a combination of he knows Emi pretty well and also Purslow when he was involved with Chelsea. Some off the record comments that are put into more friendly tweets.

FWIW I think we'll sign two more players but whether they'll be the quality we really need is open to debate. We certainly need to be moving on players though as the squad is really top heavy, look at the amount of wide players we still have and we play a formation that dosen't include any of them.😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Good squad for what though? At the moment we are struggling for a top ten place.

TBF we do have plenty of quality in good areas now.

Keeper is top as we all know, hopefully Diego can settle down quickly in premier league. He's been a top 4 CB in major euro league in last few seasons. Full season of Digne, Coutinho etc. Kamara massively rated and coming with so much hype. Exciting to see if Ramsey can kick on even more this season given his progress in last 12 months. With 5 subs good depth on the bench to potentially change games (but then I said that this time last year and most of them were injured).

Problem is though Gerrard just sticks to the same formation and basically core 11 and is slow making subs, all issues we saw from Feb onwards which resulted in many mediocre performances and results.

Even if we get it right I can see Ings and Ollie fluffing too many big chances at key moments in games v top 8 which will limit us rising up the table so far.

More I think about it would be huge if Archer could get off the market in the prem in August. I really think if he could score early this season that could set him up nicely and he could be our highest scoring forward this season....no pressure Cam!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I really want us to sign Calvin Bassey, I think he would be perfect for us. Tall, strong, fast, good technique, young and can play in many positions. He could compete with Digne for LB, cover for Mings at LCB, even challenge Ramsey for the no 6 role. With Augustinsson coming in I guess we wont go for Bassey as I understand he is predominantly a LB.

But please bring him in!

Going to Ajax apparently.

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Yes, and I think we release information to certain journalists as and when the club wants to get a message across. I could be wrong but I feel like they’ve done that a few times in recent windows.

We’re paying the price for a few bad transfers. Bailey, Sanson and Ings are probably taking home a combined £225k a week and cost £70m. You can’t afford too many transfers that don’t work out otherwise you’re stuck, especially in the PL. There are only a handful of clubs across Europe that could offer our players anything near to what they earn here so you have to accept they’re not going to go anywhere. 

If, and it’s a big If, we can get rid of Sanson, Traore and Luiz doesn’t sign, we may see one more through before the end of the window but I certainly can’t see us signing another striker. 

We won’t qualify for Europe next season. 

Why do you keep saying Bailey, Ings and Sansom are bad signings?

Thats your opinion not a fact and whilst they are yet to pull up any trees, they have been here about a season and two have had fitness issues.  Why don’t you wait and see what they do this year before you spend the money on some one else you are not going to give time to settle!

• Like 1

It might be a controversial opinion, but I think we've signed better than arsenal and anyone else in the league except for city in terms of improving our first 11.

I don't necessarily think we've a better side or should be challenging top 6 this season, but I do think we've strengthened significantly compared to most around us.

Also maybe controversial but I don't rate zinchenko and think he'll be very average outside that city team and same for Gabriel Jesus.

I don't expect us to be competing with arsenal next season, but also not convinced they've strenghtened ahead of us.

Leicester and west ham are the immediate target for us and we've strengthened on both so far.

Also it's July 16th, we're definitely not done.

Edited by VillaJay
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

If we are done then I highly doubt it's because the club want to be done, more of a case of not landing our targets. Which is fine, that's football. No point in buying players just for the sake of it. 

Agree. No doubt we are trying, Collomosse is saying IF we aren’t 100% happy then we won’t sign anyone for the sake of it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

If we are done then I highly doubt it's because the club want to be done, more of a case of not landing our targets. Which is fine, that's football. No point in buying players just for the sake of it. 

Agree completely, at some point as we slide down the list of players we like we have to put the brake on and question the worth of it 

But it's now starting to feel like we've taken that approach with central midfield for the last 3 summers!