Loxstock92

4 minutes ago, PeterSw said:

City - Haaland in, Phillips in potentially, Jesus and Fernandinho out

Liverpool - Nunez in, Mane out

Chelsea - No ins, Lukaku out

Spurs - Bissouma in

Arsenal - Couple of Portuguese coming in

Utd - No one wants to join them.

I don't think they are blowing anyone out of the water as of yet. Obviously that can change as we move further into the window

City are blowing everyone out the water.  Already the best team, and signed the best striker in the world.  They really don't need anything else.

As for the rest, I'd agree.  The links suggest Spurs and Liverpool might add more, but in the case of spurs it's just giving them extra depth for the Champs League campaign. Liverpool will still be behind City, but likely maintain their gap to the others.  Salah still key to them last season, but he is really approaching the age where he's going to be less effective every year (hold me to that quote come the end of the season and he scored 20 🤦).

I feel like we've improved our squad more than anyone else in the league at this stage. I'm hopefully that will continue to be the case.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Every time somebody refers to the treacherous Sky scum club as "The big 6" a kitten dies. And we've been just as active if not more than most of them. We're also not finished.

One of them on the official account actually tweeted when they will only play each other this season

I wouldnt mind its the so called team of the people and the masters of net spend 

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

City are blowing everyone out the water.  Already the best team, and signed the best striker in the world.  They really don't need anything else.

As for the rest, I'd agree.  The links suggest Spurs and Liverpool might add more, but in the case of spurs it's just giving them extra depth for the Champs League campaign. Liverpool will still be behind City, but likely maintain their gap to the others.  Salah still key to them last season, but he is really approaching the age where he's going to be less effective every year (hold me to that quote come the end of the season and he scored 20 🤦).

I feel like we've improved our squad more than anyone else in the league at this stage. I'm hopefully that will continue to be the case.

From what I've read Liverpool are done transfer wise, Nunez, Carvalho and that right-back Ramsay from Aberdeen.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, duke313 said:

From what I've read Liverpool are done transfer wise, Nunez, Carvalho and that right-back Ramsay from Aberdeen.  

The original post doesn't mention either of those, hence me saying the links suggest they'll add more. 

18 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I agree, but we need to improve our squad more than the others mentioned. We’re still playing catch-up and paying for the horrendous mistakes of the past. Full steam ahead please NSWE and the crew. 

47 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

I feel like we really need to go big on a midfielder this summer. It's a position that's been a huge weakness for us for years. Kamara will be a massive upgrade at defensive midfield, helping both the defense and central midfield; I just feel there's a real lack of quality in the number 8 role. If you look at Newcastle & Tottenham you can see the difference quality midfield signings can make.

I would quite happily move on Sanson as he is clearly not good enough from a managers perspective. This leaves us McGinn, Ramsey and Luiz as number 8 options; I feel as though Luiz will likely move on, although I would be keep for him to sign a deal as I feel he would improve massively in the number 8 role.

So options for that last midfield role, let's go big and get some real quality in even if breaking the bank is required. Obviously some of these players are only going to be interested in European football, but we've done well at selling the club to others already.

Yes, i think so. McGinn and Luiz are decent for a top 10 team, but not really a proper top 6 player.   Ramsey has potential to get there but isn't quite there yet.

Similar to our strikers - Both Ings and Watkins are decent, and fit well for Villa as a mid-table team.  But if we want to break into the top 6, then individually neither are quite up there.

Just now, jacketspuds said:

Was quite interesting listening to the latest Villa View podcast. Dan Bardell was saying that he'd hear rumours about us being extremely ambitious with our potential CM and ST signings, with a young LB also on the agenda.

How reliable their sources are is up for debate, but I'm happy if we are taking our time trying to bring in the right players to really push this team forward.

As it's the season for speculation and fun--I wouldn't be surprised if we made an attempt for Jesus or Richarlison etc. (as previously mentioned by that ITK on Twitter @Villa_1_8_7_4).

But, as you say, positive signs for sure. 

3 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Was quite interesting listening to the latest Villa View podcast. Dan Bardell was saying that he'd hear rumours about us being extremely ambitious with our potential CM and ST signings, with a young LB also on the agenda.

How reliable their sources are is up for debate, but I'm happy if we are taking our time trying to bring in the right players to really push this team forward.

This wouldn't surprise me at all. I think the players we're probably trying to sign don't quite match where we are as a club. We just have to hope that;

- They can see the signings of Coutinho and Kamara and think Villa could be an exciting project
- We're quite competitive with the salaries we offer
- The Gerrard pull has some merit to it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

And secondly I genuinely think Cameron Archer could be the next big thing from our academy, I really want to see him given a chance next season.

Maybe. I think he'd be better going to a top of the Championship team for a season and let's see if he thrives there. 

Even if he does, it's a massive jump up from 'top of Championship' striker to being a 'European chasing' striker.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

I'm actually not too worried about a striker.

For a start by improving the midfield I think we will see a huge difference defensively, and in chances created for our strikers. Ings and Watkins have both proven they can be lethal strikers if changes are created for them.

And secondly I genuinely think Cameron Archer could be the next big thing from our academy, I really want to see him given a chance next season.

I'm the same with regards a striker.  Watkins, Ings and Archer wouldn't be the worst going into the season, if we go for a new striker fine, if not i'm happy with those three.  We absolutely need a new top class #8 though, and should break our transfer record to get one.

14 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

He'll be loaned out again next season, probably to the championship. 

It shouldn't really be a surprise we have ambitious targets. We have extremely ambitious owners with finances most of our competitors could only dream of.
Gerrard will want his own goalscorer because a) he can and b) why not? We just didn't score enough from the chances we had last year. That doesn't mean Watkins and / or Ings leaving though.

As for the midfielder, its the most obvious area of improvement now. Also, Gerrard was a midfielder and will most aware of the needs and keen to make that a strong suit. After that, full back / centre half cover (could be the same player - e.g Bassey) and we're good to go. But yes, I can see some lavish money going on the forward and CM. We have it, so why not. 

• Like 3

I still think next Monday is when things will kick into gear. Once a few start moving, the dominoes will start falling and it will cause a chain reaction across the window. 

I still think we could see two central midfielders come in, if Luiz and Sanson leave. I think both McGinn and Ramsey are better suited as 10's, or at least one of them is, so that could be an option this season. It's going to be exciting. 

• Like 1

We'll definitely try but I think we will probably miss out on one of the positions we're after - we won't be first choice for the very best players but there is a way and we have shown it with the signings so far - am expecting more quality but possibly coming up short this window. 

Another big midfielder is more valuable than a striker for me. 

When you look at Watkins and Ings last year I think you have to take a long lrange look at their careers - they score goals and improve whereever. We know they have talent. Then you look at the mitigating factors - a season in which a manager is changed, it's the first time they went from one up top to playing with two and it clearl didn't work initially. But the momentum and improvement towards the end of the season combined with the fact we know they are good players and I would think to improve on them we need to be spending 50-60m, which is huge, and not necessary. We have the makings of top drawer midfielders, one more to go with Kamara, Coutinho, Buendia, alongside Ramsey ( and Luiz and Mcginn as squaddies ) and that's very competent. 

I'd rather Archer be given a chance in the first few weeks. The World Cup provides an obvious time period to focus on. If by November it's not happening for him, he can go on loan in the second half of the season again. 

• Like 1