Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

12 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Poch will be available very soon, but will he still be available come Oct/Nov?  We would need to get off to a very bad start for SG to be shown the door.

I mean, he finished the season with worse form than the run Smith had to get the sack. So a continuation of that and he would get the boot.

24 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Almost the whole team and the manager were so bad as the season ended.

If Pocc is available and interested, swiftly replacing the manager would be a great move if we start badly.

Think the club has the manager they are going to run with no matter what. Think it would need to be relegation places around new year for them to act and I don't see that happening.

More likely IMO is Newcastle hitting a rough patch and them getting rid of Howe and maybe try get Poch in if he's available.

The WC break obviously creates a opening for clubs to act so anyone under performing should be worried there.

• Like 2

I wonder with some people saying "Ings and Watkins will be much better next season" what are you basing that assumption on?

Last summer people were saying that watkins would score 20+ the season gone and that ings would not be far behind that number.

The Analytical side of my brain is saying we cannot take a chance on "they should be better" as its just too much of a gamble if both of them do not perform next season and if it comes to pass it means gerrard's tenure will be over by xmas imho.

32 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Almost the whole team and the manager were so bad as the season ended.

If Pocc is available and interested, swiftly replacing the manager would be a great move if we start badly.

Good job we wont start badly then.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

I wonder with some people saying "Ings and Watkins will be much better next season" what are you basing that assumption on?

Last summer people were saying that watkins would score 20+ the season gone and that ings would not be far behind that number.

The Analytical side of my brain is saying we cannot take a chance on "they should be better" as its just too much of a gamble if both of them do not perform next season and if it comes to pass it means gerrard's tenure will be over by xmas imho.

The previous seasons.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

No, it means he overperformed expectations based on the chances he had the last two seasons, and this year he performed to what was expected of the chances he got. Yes, it would help if he had more chances, but 25 goals on 16.7 xG is a wild overperformance that very few players in the world can maintain, if any.

13 on 8.3 xG was an even greater over performance than 25 on 16.7. He has consistently per performed at a very high rate for the two seasons. The other season he scored what he was expected to score. But 21/22 he only played a small number of games and that reduces the dataset which can skew the results. Danny needs to play more games!

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Think the club has the manager they are going to run with no matter what. Think it would need to be relegation places around new year for them to act and I don't see that happening..

That would be really stupid and inconsistent. I'm sure the CEO wouldn't let his idolising of the manager to get in the way of sacking him. Surely.

30 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Poch will be available very soon, but will he still be available come Oct/Nov?  We would need to get off to a very bad start for SG to be shown the door.

The PL manager sackings will kick off in time for the WC break to let the new guy come in and be ready for the Jan transfer window imo. There will be a few sackings inn or around Nov 15th

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sne said:

Think the club has the manager they are going to run with no matter what. Think it would need to be relegation places around new year for them to act and I don't see that happening.

More likely IMO is Newcastle hitting a rough patch and them getting rid of Howe and maybe try get Poch in if he's available.

The WC break obviously creates a opening for clubs to act so anyone under performing should be worried there.

If that happens and Poch goes there that could be very bad for us as he's a far better manager than Howe or Gerrard and would very quickly make Newcastle a major threat. 

Not saying that I want Gerrard to fail, but if it meant we got Poch it would work out very well for us as IMO he's still an elite manager despite the last few years not being so good for him.

Hopefully Gerrard proves me wrong but his form in 2022 was very poor indeed. He needs to get off to a good start next season and have us up near the top 6 by the time the World Cup comes around.

• Like 1

Considering the fact that both strikers struggled last season, it could be a risk not trying to upgrade that area of the squad.

The problem is working out which one of Watkins or Ings to upgrade, and who to bring in that is actually better, and gettable.

39 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Definitely. If we get another midfielder in, we should look the absolute business.

I've thought this following a number of transfer windows.  Not allowing myself to get excited again.

• Haha 1

If we're discussing the impact that Ings has made... 

That stat's probably more of a reflection of our average goals return for the season but, for what it's worth, I think we need to add a quality striker to Watkins, Ings and Archer instead of replacing anyone. If we can get a good price for Davis and work out a financially viable deal for a better player than what we have (or someone around the same level with higher potential), then I think we'll do just that. I don't know who that person would be, but I really can't see us selling a top player when we play two up front and need strong competition for places to push us to the next level.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

So Stevie G beat off the other interested parties to secure the deal 😮😮😮😬 

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886adn3uavj0yi0dv6h26

that’s some dedication by our manager!

"You ARE Dedicated!"Spottswoode.png.b1440e0235373db314181d0fe3c9d313.png

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

We didn’t need Ings to start with and it was just causing a selection headache for months I feel like Ollie finished the season well and will continue this season. They still contributed 26 goals between them, not enough but not terrible. 

2 hours ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

I would say it’s down to both of them scoring the same number of goals as their expected goals. We need to create more chances for our forwards. I know it’s easy to remember a big miss in a game from one of the forwards but they have shown that both of them perform consistently to the standard that is expected statistically, hopefully with a better defensive base our creative players will create more for our forwards. 

We also need be harder to score against, hopefully that will be the case with the additions of Carlos and Kamara.

It may also give our English players more determination that they have missed out on this squad for the nations league, they will all need to up their performance if they are to make it in the World Cup squad

Edited by Villa Stu
Added about W.C squad

2 hours ago, sne said:

The WC break could see a few managers short term futures go down the toilet. 

• Like 2