Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Its not a personal mission. I genuinely fear for the club with this guy in charge 

I really care for Villa and thats why I am pissed off. I would LOVE to be proved wrong but I dont see it especially with his lackey Purslow backing him down a dark alley

That’s just your opinion. @Peter Griffin posted very reasonably about not really knowing how he will develop as a manager, which is pretty much we’re I am. You sarcastically asked him if he was a football guru, then went on to state that, “you knew SG would fail.” Which seems to me to be a rather strange statement for someone who has just questioned another poster’s football knowledge. You also told him,: as you earlier did me to, “grow up FFS.” I think Freud would potentially have a field day. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I dont want him to fail. I would love if he was successful

I know he will fail thats the problem, he is so out of his depth

His points to games ratio isn't that terrible (mind you Sherwood's wasn't until penultimate league game of 2015). We've had poor runs, we've had good runs etc.

Think issue for me is once we've finished this window there's going to be massive expectation we'll qualify for europe with what we're signing and I just haven't been that impressed with the standard of football we've produced since Feb to believe we're capable of the amount needed to get top 7 next year, we played better in Gerrard's early weeks.

And Beale probably leaving now would be dodgy given Gerrard probably relies on him for tactics and training preparation. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

That’s just your opinion. @Peter Griffin posted very reasonably about not really knowing how he will develop as a manager, which is pretty much we’re I am. You sarcastically asked him if he was a football guru, then went on to state that, “you knew SG would fail.” Which seems to me to be a rather strange statement for someone who has just questioned another poster’s football knowledge. You also told him,: as you earlier did me to, “grow up FFS.” I think Freud would potentially have a field day. 

I think you should check who I aimed that guru post at. Wrong poster 😛

Was a guy throwing tantrums at posters this evening 😛

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

His points to games ratio isn't that terrible (mind you Sherwood's wasn't until penultimate league game of 2015). We've had poor runs, we've had good runs etc.

Think issue for me is once we've finished this window there's going to be massive expectation we'll qualify for europe with what we're signing and I just haven't been that impressed with the standard of football we've produced since Feb to believe we're capable of the amount needed to get top 7 next year, we played better in Gerrard's early weeks.

And Beale probably leaving now would be dodgy given Gerrard probably relies on him for tactics and training preparation. 

Nobody wants to listen when I said it before. His win rate is literally identical to Sherwood and Tim had a shitter team just with Benteke

I do think there is a hype because we have bought good players but I am not confident we will be a good team. Its a bit Brucey for my liking. Pass to Coutinho/Buendia they will score 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mic09 said:

You don't get any awards for the youngest team. You get points for a winning team.

Give me a team of solid 29/30 year olds over possibly successful 22 year olds. 

But the right way to do it is to mix it - Coutinho is what, just short of 30? Is he not a better option than Bailey? 

15 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

The correct strategy is to find the right blend.

Agreed on the age issue...a mix is key. You want maybe 15-25% older players who can lead, 50-60% players in their prime who get most of the work done, 15-25% young players to learn for the future. The young ones and old ones are also more accepting of time on the bench, and you need people who are willing to accept that role.

Edited by TomC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I've always been an advocate for it mate, i've never understood why some people are so against it.

The argument is that " It helps the big teams with World Class squads " , but those team already have better first teams than us anyway!

Also, it helps teams like us, against " lesser teams " and because we have a plethora of young and creative players which all offer something different.

Also, injuries, a player simply not coping etc during a game and/or needing to change tactics will be helped IMO/

I don't like 5 subs because it changes the game too much. Endurance is part of the game. (I love ice hockey, but it's the opposite extreme, a sprinter's game...sub the whole team every 90 seconds, even with the puck in play.)

I disagree with the thought that 5 subs favors rich teams with deep benches...I think that it favors weaker teams. If they want to play park-the-bus, they usually start tiring late in the second half and you finally get a goal. If they can sub 5 players, it makes it easier for them to grind out a 0-0 draw with fresh legs. I don't want more 0-0 draws.

5 subs is still not permanent...IFAB has only authorized it for competitions that begin before the end of 2022, at the competition organizer's discretion (i.e. the Premier League's discretion). Next year, the law reverts to 3 for all senior first team competitions worldwide. (Unless IFAB extends it or makes it permanent.)

3 minutes ago, TomC said:

Agreed on the age issue...a mix is key. You want maybe 15-25% older players who can lead, 50-60% players in their prime who get most of the work done, 15-25% young players to learn for the future. The young ones and old ones are also more accepting of time on the bench, and you need people who are willing to accept that role.

I agree with this, it is very much a case of getting the right balance. I also believe that players in general will need to accept that it is a squad game now and being on the bench is a fact of life now for almost all of them. Particularly with 5 subs next season. 

41 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Its a great position for the club to be in. We have a squad/team we believe capable of challenging for a European spot, its over 10 years since we could say that. If Gerrard succeeds then brilliant. If he fails. we sack him and get a new manager. I suspect given the quality of our squad and the ambition of our owners which they back up with financial support, it won't be too difficult to get a good manager in. I would think it perfectly reasonable to realistically go for a Pochettino type manager after Gerrard. Maybe NSWE and CP know exactly what they are doing and maybe they are using Gerrard to show the football world exactly how big our ambition is. If Gerrard works out then great, if he doesn't we are still in a far better place than when he joined us

• Like 1

I think Gerard has done a good job, with recruitment so far, coutinho, digne  an chambers have all been astute signings, we’ll have to wait and see about kamara and Carlos.

I was just looking back at Dean smith’s signings and they were horrific, with the exception of Martinez, cash and possibly Buendia, we’ve wasted so much money.

Edited by MasterVillan

Btw, have zero issue ending up starting with two centre backs who are right footed. New age footy hipsters claiming the left of a cb partnership has to be left footed .Give over. McGrath played the left of a 2 for us a tonne of times. 

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

I am predicting now this will be a terrible summer based on the multiple links 

All gpod players but need an actual manager to blend them together but I think Mings will be sold who is the real heart of Aston Villa 

If Gerrard can't make it work, NSWE will demand that Purslow finds someone who can, like Pochettino for example. Gerrard will be given a long rope, but not infinitely long. 

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Ehh it’s a bs rumor but would be criminal if we ended up selling him. 

Why? As much as I fear how it would return against us, But Tarkowski  is an upgrade I guess. 

Edited by abdulaziz1

2 hours ago, MasterVillan said:

I think Gerard has done a good job, with recruitment so far, coutinho, digne  an chambers have all been astute signings, we’ll have to wait and see about kamara and Carlos.

I was just looking back at Dean smith’s signings and they were horrific, with the exception of Martinez, cash and possibly Buendia, we’ve wasted so much money.

I both agree and somewhat disagree. We have wasted a lot of money on shit we can’t shift but, having said that, said shit did achieve the goals of both promotion and staying in the PL. That in itself is worth a heck of a lot and probably pays for the said shit. The only signings that really concern me as they cost a fortune are Bailey and Ings. 

This is so exciting! 2-3 more big names still coming..

We will now be able to go toe to toe with every team in the division and have a real chance at lifting a cup next spring. 

**** yeah!

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

Based on? 

The man has basically failed at only 2 things in his entire life. One was winning the league with Liverpool and the other was England. 

It’s a very brave opinion to suggest he’s not going to succeed as a manager with us considering a, the bar is so low considering our performance over the last 15 years, b; the support he has from the board in recognising this squad is not good enough  to challenge and c, the level of player he is attracting to the club. 

Surely if he was such an incompetent manager this would be open knowledge in the football community and none of these players - with lots of other elite managers they could work for - would join to play for him? 

I hope that you’re ready to eat some serious humble pie next season. 

These exciting new players are a significant upgrade in terms of their reputation and current performance levels, so it's clear, we are now buying high quality ingredients.

What's not clear is whether the head chef has the right mix of skills and experience to create an award winning dish, night after night in a pressure cooker situation.

He speaks with all the bravado of a Gordon Ramsay, so we'll just have to see if it's all talk, but he knows his sweetbreads are on the line.

Europa Conference League qualification campaigns don't get better than this.