Robin Olsen

Loxstock92

31 minutes ago, Taxahunter said:

Sorry, You can't pin any of the goals on Olsen. Blame the midfield and the defense instead...

Yep. It's everyone else's fault he can't move.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, smg said:

So our defenders can only function with the world’s number one goalkeeper behind them ? Perhaps they need to step up a bit  and take some responsibility for the defence of our goal.

Or perhaps olsen is as bad as his stats sugest ? conceding a goal every 38 minutes throughout his time with us.

It doesn't matter who the outfield players are, as he has been in goal for us over 3 seasons where the players have changed, tactics have changed, that's HIS stats.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Taxahunter said:

Sorry, You can't pin any of the goals on Olsen. Blame the midfield and the defense instead...

I always try to defend Olsen. He is a good keeper in my opinion. 

You are correct, none of the goals are his "fault". 

However, when talking about a PL level goalkeeper, in the semi final of a European competition, I expect more. I expect a little extra.

I played in goal a little myself, and I know Olsen will be gutted. He should have done better on a few occasions. 

The defence absolutely shouldn't be exempt of any blame, our defence hasn't been good enough all season, blame Mings being out fine, but that shouldn't be a reason why we're so passive. I like Konsa a lot but his recent performances from a defensive point of view aren't doing him any favours of making the Euros squad for England. 

BUT....Olsen was 100% at fault for goals 2 and 4. The 2nd he makes the terrible decision to dive early rather than stand his ground and the 4th goal is just laughable despite it taking a deflection, he should just punch it away but he flaps at it awkwardly like he hasn't got a clue what he's supposed to do. Yes he made a couple of decent stops but he's undone all that with the poor goals he's conceded. 

It's not just the goals he concedes but the lack of confidence he gives the rest of the team when he plays. Added to that is Emi is like having another outfield player when we're in possession, he's so good with the ball at his feet and confident coming out of his area when necessary, Olsen just cannot do that. He might only be our backup goalkeeper but he's Sweden's no1 goalkeeper, you'd expect him to be more competent than this. I'm actually surprised Gauci hasn't moved ahead of him in the pecking order.

I’m not a goalkeeper, but I don’t see how he was that bad for the second goal? First seemed worse if anything. 

9 hours ago, Alakagom said:

He's cost Liverpool a title

Bloke deserves a statue then 🤣

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

That same lineup has put in numerous better performances with Emi backing them. If you have played the game you know how much a nervous keeper can affect your play.  He inspires zero confidence when he plays and just like clockwork we concede 2-3 goals with him starting. 

You can say none of the goals were his fault but end of he just isn't good enough. Could you imagine him in a CL game. God forbid a CL knockout. Don't hate the guy Villa can do better. 

Yeah… I don’t think there is any getting away from this. We can back n support him (and he’s not solely responsible for defeats like this) but… there really isn’t any doubt that he is a poor goalkeeper and, despite some visible although slight improvements, just exudes and gives off negative vibes, anxiety, nerves… Emi brings so much positivity, leadership, confidence and a degree of comfort… the defenders know they can trust him, he is in charge (Robin never is, not at all commanding) and he will bail them out at times…

He’s not strong or confident enough… some very weak attempts at saves at times… lets in some really cheap goals…

Don’t think we can afford to mix up the defence if we have to play Olsen either… need our strongest and regular players to help him out. Lenglet was poor/rusty and looked scared/nervous too… Carlos was immense vs Arsenal but poor and “frazzled” vs Chelsea… it’s like Olsen makes our defenders error prone or just nervous too… his anxiety spreads to others…

Robin just injects anxiety and nerves into the side unfortunately and needs to be moved on…

Maybe Sinisalo is ready if Gauci is not…

-

Regardless, he’s not the only one to blame nor the only one who deserves criticism but… there is a worrying trend or pattern and we look a different side when he has only more often than not…

We have to move on from him, he can be a liability and we’ve got to move on from that sort of thing… it’s why Chambers never really gets a look in really.

I was really disappointed in McGinn and Luiz btw… we needed control of that midfield but they failed… but… they will be back and much improved. Been brilliant much more often than not… players seem drained, mentally as well as physically… need one final push from them.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

He makes some decent saves when he plays, but as a unit we always look far more vulnerable.  It almost feels like the defence doesn't seem to trust him or the communication isn't there. He has had all week to get ready for the game so you would have think this would have been sorted. I think when he does play we should just play it as simple as possible at the back.

This too… one thing that frustrated me is we were trying to play the same way as we do with Emi but… Olsen is not even comparable to him… he can’t do what Emi does so we should adapt and kind of keep the ball away from him a bit….

Stop faffing about with it at the back with Robin… he can’t hack it and usually makes a mistake or boots the ball at a player who is under pressure or marked… it’s fine when Emi is there but Robin is not up to the same task.

We just couldn’t get the ball into and hold onto it in midfield enough… was so disappointing. Needed McGinn and Luiz to stand up and take control of the game but they were just not at it…

He played well in the game before he was poor tonight. Our tactics expose certain positions like centre back and goalkeeper and you have to be on it, his passing isn’t quick enough either.

For me not even Martinez just a number one standard keeper does better with 2 and 4 last night. The only way to improve that is a top young keeper as experienced ones arnt going to be sitting on the bench. 

However I don’t blame Olsen for last night, we lost the midfield and that allows teams to do that to us. We also had positions ourselves to do better in and didn’t take them. Could have been 6-4 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nicho said:

He played well in the game before he was poor tonight. Our tactics expose certain positions like centre back and goalkeeper and you have to be on it, his passing isn’t quick enough either.

For me not even Martinez just a number one standard keeper does better with 2 and 4 last night. The only way to improve that is a top young keeper as experienced ones arnt going to be sitting on the bench. 

However I don’t blame Olsen for last night, we lost the midfield and that allows teams to do that to us. We also had positions ourselves to do better in and didn’t take them. Could have been 6-4 

The experienced ones are usually number 3's now see Carson and Tom Heaton as examples 

Look at top 3's No 2s other than ortega the other 2 Kelleher and Ramsdale have both had poor moments for Liverpool and Arsenal and in the latter case he cost £30 mil.

Can we improve on Olson possibly but they are a number 2 for reason and never going to be as good as Emi , untill we get to point we buy someone better than Emi.

Goalkeeping is proactive these days. Especially with the way we play. It's not just about shot stopping and reaction saves, which I think Olsen is actually pretty good at. 

Nor is it about how Emi is elite (although that is very welcome)

It's about being comfortable as a goalie in posession, and acting as another outfield player when we play our high line sweeper keeper system. You don't need to be as good as Emi to play well in this system, you just need to be good at the right things. Unfortunately Olsen is not.

I think he'd be OK at someone like Everton, but it's such a key part of how we play now that I don't think he'll ever be what we need, even as a No. 2.

6 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Goalkeeping is proactive these days. Especially with the way we play. It's not just about shot stopping and reaction saves, which I think Olsen is actually pretty good at. 

Nor is it about how Emi is elite (although that is very welcome)

It's about being comfortable as a goalie in posession, and acting as another outfield player when we play our high line sweeper keeper system. You don't need to be as good as Emi to play well in this system, you just need to be good at the right things. Unfortunately Olsen is not.

I think he'd be OK at someone like Everton, but it's such a key part of how we play now that I don't think he'll ever be what we need, even as a No. 2.

Didn’t he actually play for Everton but they decided not to keep him?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Didn’t he actually play for Everton but they decided not to keep him?

yes.

he was also at Sheff Utd in the Champ, he didnt even start for them, if you read when we were rumoured to sign him, the fans on the forum were shocked that we were after him and laughing to the bank (wages saving/loan fee saving etc)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

yes.

he was also at Sheff Utd in the Champ, he didnt even start for them, if you read when we were rumoured to sign him, the fans on the forum were shocked that we were after him and laughing to the bank (wages saving/loan fee saving etc)

Not blaming him for yesterdays result but I think it’s safe to say he’s shit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Not blaming him for yesterdays result but I think it’s safe to say he’s shit.

yeah, he isnt good enough, plain and simple tbh.

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He’s a 70 plus capped international keeper who’s played at champions league level at teams like Roma and Copenhagen and has 16 years experience. 

Id expect him to be quite competent to be honest

Exactly. He’s mentally shot unfortunately. I like the guy and want him to do well but Martinez saves two of those last night and we look far better on the ball. 

• Like 1

Â