Robin Olsen

Loxstock92

The goal he conceded was the exact problem he had playing for Sweden not so long ago. Good shot stopper but palming it straight back into the middle never helps.

And like many says here, if he starts any of our cup game then that's bye bye to our ambition of winning it

1 hour ago, Marka Ragnos said:

On the bright side ... well, no, not much. He seemed nervous and jumpy, and he made two critical mistakes, one that contributed to a Toon goal.

He's reliably consistent at all of this! 

Fallacy 

• Like 1

Honestly lads, I don't think he was half as bad as some of you are making out. I've just watched the second half and the goal was not his fault. Even Tim Howard commentating says he did everything right and was never gonna hold a shot of that power. 

Distribution - Far better than his usual missiles into the crowd. Was comfortable playing from the back. 

Clearly needs game time, like a few of the others. There's a decent keeper in there... Somewhere. 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

So Newcastle has Pope and Dubravka - both keepers that can reliably fill between the sticks and of comparable talent.

... we have Martinez and Olsen. Night and day.

Didn't Dubravka concede 3 so Olsen conceded the least including Emi?

His big issue seems to be his confidence, I thought he looked ok for the first 10 minutes or so of the second half, but unfortunately you are just waiting for that mistake to happen and it always comes. Surely he has to be replaced before the window shuts?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

We're an injury away from this idiot in goal for a significant wedge of the season. Need a replacement for this guy ASAP. We should have just kept Steer as backup, he's a hundred times better.

He’s really not 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Callum said:

Honestly lads, I don't think he was half as bad as some of you are making out. I've just watched the second half and the goal was not his fault. Even Tim Howard commentating says he did everything right and was never gonna hold a shot of that power. 

Distribution - Far better than his usual missiles into the crowd. Was comfortable playing from the back. 

Clearly needs game time, like a few of the others. There's a decent keeper in there... Somewhere. 

It’s the howler. It seems to come every game. When he played that ball to Wilson they should have scored really.  If he could get these errors out his game he wouldn’t be too bad but we see at least one mistake every game.  He is too much of a liability for the way we play from the back. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Didn't Dubravka concede 3 so Olsen conceded the least including Emi?

Lies, damn lies and statistics

Neither Dubravka or Emi kicked a ball straight to a stationary (and somewhat bemused) opposition forward. So that's 1 to Olsen and 0 to the others.

Neither Dubravka or Emi had a goal attributed against them from what appears a basic error (parrying the ball back out into the goal area). So that's 2 to Olsen and 0 to the others.

I think the issue is that we have to play different when he's on the pitch as he doesn't seem to have the confidence, mentality and - arguably - the ability to play the way we want, which breeds insecurity in the rest of the team. That gets seized upon in the PL - not so much in a friendly.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Lies, damn lies and statistics

Neither Dubravka or Emi kicked a ball straight to a stationary (and somewhat bemused) opposition forward. So that's 1 to Olsen and 0 to the others.

Neither Dubravka or Emi had a goal attributed against them from what appears a basic error (parrying the ball back out into the goal area). So that's 2 to Olsen and 0 to the others.

I think the issue is that we have to play different when he's on the pitch as he doesn't seem to have the confidence, mentality and - arguably - the ability to play the way we want, which breeds insecurity in the rest of the team. That gets seized upon in the PL - not so much in a friendly.

This. We absolutely must replace him - he's an absolute system-wrecker with very few redeeming features. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Callum said:

That was a gaff. You can't flop it to that area. Like Emi away at Utd last year. Howard is wrong.

Agree. Mostly good.

He's not going to get game time, and we can't afford someone who seems to cost us at least a goal every 45 mins in the side.

Edited by Tomaszk

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

He’s really not 

Disagree. Steer was a decent backup option in this league. Olsen will always make too many basic errors to be relied on at this level. Ask yourself what team in the league would take him and there's your answer.

Tired of the idea that players who are clearly not good enough need time to find a minimum level of form, especially Olsen. I hope we don’t see him for a single minute in any competitive fixture this season. 

• Like 1

Â