Lucas Digne

villan-scott

9 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

It's another reflection on the brilliance of Emery that he's kept both him and Moreno happy with their minutes. And they seem to have a great relationship too.

Tbf it helps that both were injured for 2-3 months in that sense because that way both of them have started a lot of games, Moreno has started 17 games with 11 sub appearances, despite having missed 20 games through injury, whereas digne has started 30 games, with 8 sub appearances with 8 games missed through injury, and 19 of those starts came when moreno missed games.

So if you look at the games both have been available for Digne has started around 11, Moreno has started 10.

I think you can have an opinion on wages as just a fan as you are really talking about opportunity costs. With FPL etc you can only pay so much. 

If you exclude free players (tielemans and bono) as some of their transfer fee is baked into their wages he's basically one of our top earners with Diaby, Watkins Martinez and McGinn.

By all accounts he's on 3.5x Moreno.

Villa may be better off if those funds were allocated elsewhere. 

But anyway he's been great this season and I do not fault him as a player at all. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TRO said:

By us?.....not so sure, it's my business?....or in fact anything, I want to consider.

I think there are demarcation lines as a fan....and personally, I don't want to cross them. I know my place as a fan/supporter and I know, what does and doesn't concern me.

It does depend on how Emery rates him, or see's the value of him.....but its not my job, to busy myself with that....I just look at his play and effect on the team.

In all my supporting life watching Villa, I have never been interested in players wages.....I have always felt its the clubs business, and the player....not mine.

I don't wish to be blunt.....but that's the way I feel.

Well mostly by the club and Emery because they have to decide if he's a first-teamer or not. Rotation or back-up on 120k a week is not really something we can afford to do.

From a fan's perspective, wages set a baseline of performance expectations; the higher they are, the more you expect from the player because of the financial resources committed. 

It doesn't make any sense to me to not be bothered about that sort of thing when the financial wellbeing of the club is incredibly important and as we saw under the Lerner/MON era, we have to be careful. 

2 hours ago, zak said:

I think you can have an opinion on wages as just a fan as you are really talking about opportunity costs. With FPL etc you can only pay so much. 

If you exclude free players (tielemans and bono) as some of their transfer fee is baked into their wages he's basically one of our top earners with Diaby, Watkins Martinez and McGinn.

By all accounts he's on 3.5x Moreno.

Villa may be better off if those funds were allocated elsewhere. 

But anyway he's been great this season and I do not fault him as a player at all. 

Yep, great player but too expensive for a second LB around 30 years old. 

42 minutes ago, grantholtgolazo said:

He’s not second LB

I didn’t mean second in terms of priority. I mean we have two LB’s both around the age of 30.  Really we need one at that age and one understudy who is younger. 

3 hours ago, lexicon said:

Well mostly by the club and Emery because they have to decide if he's a first-teamer or not. Rotation or back-up on 120k a week is not really something we can afford to do.

Correct.

I will say though, if he'd played most weeks like he did against Arsenal (where he lost a poor header to Saka at the back post, luckily it went wide at 0-0) there would be no additional negative comment. Can't believe his legs that game! So much running, looked quicker than he's ever looked.

He's been very good recently but can't believe the player of the season shout @Keyblade. Come on. He's not had a better season than any of Martinez, Konsa, Torres, McGinn, Luiz, Bailey, Watkins. No chance.

Wouldn't be surprised if we tried to move him on. Wouldn't be surprised if we offered him a longer contract but reduced the salary.

7 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Correct.

I will say though, if he'd played most weeks like he did against Arsenal (where he lost a poor header to Saka at the back post, luckily it went wide at 0-0) there would be no additional negative comment. Can't believe his legs that game! So much running, looked quicker than he's ever looked.

He's been very good recently but can't believe the player of the season shout @Keyblade. Come on. He's not had a better season than any of Martinez, Konsa, Torres, McGinn, Luiz, Bailey, Watkins. No chance.

Wouldn't be surprised if we tried to move him on. Wouldn't be surprised if we offered him a longer contract but reduced the salary.

All of those players bar maybe Watkins had wobbles at some point or another this season. Digne has been extremely consistent all season whether in the league or in Europe, and it's just a nice story. It's why I went for FPOTY as that award is typically more sentimental.

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

All of those players bar maybe Watkins had wobbles at some point or another this season.

Agree. I'd also say Watkins didn't start well at all. He was scoring but not playing well at all.

Digne has been extremely consistent all season whether in the league or in Europe

Disagree. Up and down. Up recently, absolutely cemented himself as #1 #3.

and it's just a nice story. It's why I went for FPOTY as that award is typically more sentimental.

Harrumph!!

Yeah, if he got, that would be fine. I'd be happy for him.

I'd be voting Konsa right now I think.

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Hope he wins fans' player of the season or something, he needs to be recognized for this superb season he's had, especially under the circumstances of seemingly being unfancied after being a huge signing under the previous chancer of a manager (similar to Coutinho), and then being completely upstaged by Alex Moreno last season. He's turned all of that on its head. 

Absolute model professional. Amazing to say any such thing, but in a time of the average football-playing millionaire coasting along as standard, Lucas Digne has gracefully and often brilliantly earned every penny by comparison to his fellow professionals.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, grantholtgolazo said:

It’s not that I don’t understand how finances play an outsized role in modern top flight football, it’s that I resent what it does to our perception of players. Digne should be applauded for his play this year, he’s been absolutely crucial & he is our best left back. Instead look in the summer transfer thread and we have numerous supporters again wanting him sold to balance the books. The focus on his wages is primary and his contributions take a back seat. He may well be sold, and if he is it will certainly be down to wages- because it won’t be based on his performances. He deserves our appreciation & respect.

I dont get this post

I think his play has been applauded by fans. look at this thread.

You talk about people suggesting he should be sold in the summer transfer thread which is exactly where wages and opportunity cost etc should be discussed. Contribution obviously also matters, but we are tight with funds and need to see where opportunities can be created so thats why he gets mentioned. There are conversations about selling all of our players in there, if it fits. I have seen alot about selling Watkins and Luiz for example. This conversations are about whats best for the club but does not diminish how fans have seen those players.

12 hours ago, ender4 said:

I didn’t mean second in terms of priority. I mean we have two LB’s both around the age of 30.  Really we need one at that age and one understudy who is younger. 

Have to see how Lino Sousa comes on in next two years. Probably at this moment in time Ben Chrisene is more advanced, did a decent job coming on for Blackburn in the last 10 minutes and seeing out the Leeds win.

So we do have options although of course way off the level we're going to play next season. I think the plan will just be to sign a CB with experience of playing LB, that was clearly the plan with Pau but Mings season ending injury changed everything there.

If Digne is on the outgoings list he should be the last name on it. I wish we had an insight into the finances; even moreso if (big if) we manage to shift on all of Coutinho, Sanson, Dendoncker, Lenglet, Chambers and Hause this summer.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AV82 said:

If Digne is on the outgoings list he should be the last name on it. I wish we had an insight into the finances; even moreso if (big if) we manage to shift on all of Coutinho, Sanson, Dendoncker, Lenglet, Chambers and Hause this summer.

But we may end up in a position where we can sell Digne for decent money but can't find anyone to take Coutinho, Chambers and Hause even for free.

Lenglet is a loan so automatically goes back anyway.

• Like 1

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/KTTAzxNStWwaPkyg/

After watching this, this was the transcript of the argument and fight that ensued in the changing room.

Lucas Digne:
Like the frightened baby chipmunk, you are scared by anything that is different. I will let you go, Ollie. But first, I want you to say..."I... love... crepes."

John McGinn.:
Don't you say it, Ollie mate. These colors don't run.

Ollie Watkins:
I'm not gonna say it.

John McGinn.:
Good.

Ollie Watkins:
Hey, look, Frenchy, I thought about it. So why don't you go ahead and break my arm?

Lucas Digne:
I do not want to break your arm, Monsieur Watkins, but I am a man of my word.

Ollie Watkins:
Here's the deal. He's not gonna break it because I'm gonna slip out of it right now. Grealish!! [He makes a futile attempt to rescue his arm]

Lucas Digne:
Whoa! Get down, you little pancake.

Ollie Watkins:
Someone might as well get me a Lucazade while I'm down here.

Lucas Digne:
But you have forced me to do this. You are now mocking me and making me look ridiculous. Just say, "I love crepes."

John McGinn.:
You know mate, just to put this in there...I had a whole mess of crepes this mornin'. They're just like pancakes, maybe even better.

Ollie Watkins:
Wait, are they the really thin pancakes?

John McGinn.:
Yeah.

Lucas Digne:
Yes they are. They are the really thin pancakes. It's just a French word for them.

Ollie Watkins:
Oh, my god, I love those!

John McGinn.:
Put all the kinds of syrup you want on them. I'm just sayin', think about it.

Ollie Watkins:
They come with cheese sometimes?

Lucas Digne:
Yes, of course, a fromage-crepe.

Ollie Watkins:
Well, why didn't someone yell that right--right away?

Lucas Digne:
Do you know what's in the crepe suzette?

Ollie Watkins:
Oh, I love the crepe suzette.

Lucas Digne:
With the sugar and lemon juice...

Ollie Watkins:
Yeah, the sugar and the lemon juice. Sure.

Lucas Digne:
Grand Marnier.

Ollie Watkins:
I wow - I wish I could crawl into one of those right now. I'd eat my way out from the inside!

Lucas Digne:
They are tasty.

Jacob Ramsey:
Either way this goes down, can we go get some after we're done?

Ollie Watkins:
Absolutely, we're gonna do it.

Jean Girard:
Bon. So, what if you just said: "I love really thin pancakes"? That is a fair compromise, no?

Jacob Ramsey:
That is a fair compromise.

Ezri Konsa:
Very fair, actually.

Ollie Watkins:
No! Because then everyone would know I really meant crêpes!

Jacob Ramsey:
That's actually a pretty good compromise right there.

Lucas Digne:
Why do you want me to break your arm so badly?

Ollie Watkins:
You don't understand. You don't understand because you don't understand British morals. You don't understand History. So you put a crack in my arm like the crack in Big Ben! You hear me?

John McGinn.:
[leans down to talk to Ollie in a low voice] Hey. This is just between you and me, okay? I mean, forget all these other guys. But...he did give you a pretty decent out. But it's your call.

Ollie Watkins:
[whispering] What do you think?

John McGinn.:
Don't say it.

Ollie Watkins:
Yeah. I'm not gonna say it. Nope. Break it, Pepé Le Pew!

Lucas Digne:
As you wish.
[He breaks ollies arm]

Ollie Watkins:
He actually did it!

Jacob Ramsey:
Back off!

Ollie Watkins:
I didn't say it!

John McGinn.:
No, you did not!

Lucas Digne:

Your injury is one of ignorance and pride! Au revoir!

• Like 1

On 17/04/2024 at 14:00, Kbdrum88 said:

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/KTTAzxNStWwaPkyg/

After watching this, this was the transcript of the argument and fight that ensued in the changing room.

Lucas Digne:
Like the frightened baby chipmunk, you are scared by anything that is different. I will let you go, Ollie. But first, I want you to say..."I... love... crepes."

John McGinn.:
Don't you say it, Ollie mate. These colors don't run.

Ollie Watkins:
I'm not gonna say it.

John McGinn.:
Good.

Ollie Watkins:
Hey, look, Frenchy, I thought about it. So why don't you go ahead and break my arm?

Lucas Digne:
I do not want to break your arm, Monsieur Watkins, but I am a man of my word.

Ollie Watkins:
Here's the deal. He's not gonna break it because I'm gonna slip out of it right now. Grealish!! [He makes a futile attempt to rescue his arm]

Lucas Digne:
Whoa! Get down, you little pancake.

Ollie Watkins:
Someone might as well get me a Lucazade while I'm down here.

Lucas Digne:
But you have forced me to do this. You are now mocking me and making me look ridiculous. Just say, "I love crepes."

John McGinn.:
You know mate, just to put this in there...I had a whole mess of crepes this mornin'. They're just like pancakes, maybe even better.

Ollie Watkins:
Wait, are they the really thin pancakes?

John McGinn.:
Yeah.

Lucas Digne:
Yes they are. They are the really thin pancakes. It's just a French word for them.

Ollie Watkins:
Oh, my god, I love those!

John McGinn.:
Put all the kinds of syrup you want on them. I'm just sayin', think about it.

Ollie Watkins:
They come with cheese sometimes?

Lucas Digne:
Yes, of course, a fromage-crepe.

Ollie Watkins:
Well, why didn't someone yell that right--right away?

Lucas Digne:
Do you know what's in the crepe suzette?

Ollie Watkins:
Oh, I love the crepe suzette.

Lucas Digne:
With the sugar and lemon juice...

Ollie Watkins:
Yeah, the sugar and the lemon juice. Sure.

Lucas Digne:
Grand Marnier.

Ollie Watkins:
I wow - I wish I could crawl into one of those right now. I'd eat my way out from the inside!

Lucas Digne:
They are tasty.

Jacob Ramsey:
Either way this goes down, can we go get some after we're done?

Ollie Watkins:
Absolutely, we're gonna do it.

Jean Girard:
Bon. So, what if you just said: "I love really thin pancakes"? That is a fair compromise, no?

Jacob Ramsey:
That is a fair compromise.

Ezri Konsa:
Very fair, actually.

Ollie Watkins:
No! Because then everyone would know I really meant crêpes!

Jacob Ramsey:
That's actually a pretty good compromise right there.

Lucas Digne:
Why do you want me to break your arm so badly?

Ollie Watkins:
You don't understand. You don't understand because you don't understand British morals. You don't understand History. So you put a crack in my arm like the crack in Big Ben! You hear me?

John McGinn.:
[leans down to talk to Ollie in a low voice] Hey. This is just between you and me, okay? I mean, forget all these other guys. But...he did give you a pretty decent out. But it's your call.

Ollie Watkins:
[whispering] What do you think?

John McGinn.:
Don't say it.

Ollie Watkins:
Yeah. I'm not gonna say it. Nope. Break it, Pepé Le Pew!

Lucas Digne:
As you wish.
[He breaks ollies arm]

Ollie Watkins:
He actually did it!

Jacob Ramsey:
Back off!

Ollie Watkins:
I didn't say it!

John McGinn.:
No, you did not!

Lucas Digne:

Your injury is one of ignorance and pride! Au revoir!

Eh? Fight?

If Lucas goes we need to bring in a new LB,, who is better than Moreno. Moreno is not good enough to be our first choice LB. That signing will be costly, and I wouldn't do it. We would also lose a model professional and leader and example to our younger players. Moreno is either the "younger" understudy or he needs to be sold and a young player brought in (makes no sense to me). 

Also, Unai can use them both to nullify players like Saka in close games.

On 16/04/2024 at 19:11, lexicon said:

From a fan's perspective, wages set a baseline of performance expectations; the higher they are, the more you expect from the player because of the financial resources committed. 

It doesn't make any sense to me to not be bothered about that sort of thing when the financial wellbeing of the club is incredibly important and as we saw under the Lerner/MON era, we have to be careful. 

I am not telling you how to be a fan, and what to be interested in, its ok, if you like that sort of thing.

I trust the club, to manage its affairs.....and don't like drifting in to area's. I feel, don't concern me.....as the saying goes " curiosity killed the cat"

I accept the well being of the club, does impact on us, but it's not in our control.....I trust the management and the owners, to get those things under control.

I really only concentrate on the football.

I was privvy, many years ago, to some of the behind the scenes issues.....and it spoilt it for me as a fan.... so I left/resisted the invitations to the players lounge and the ambience of that.....and went back to the terraces, where I feel I belong.

and that's where, i want to stay.

Some of the behind the scenes stuff, I don't want to know......It spoils the dream of being a fan.....but hey ho.

Â