Lucas Digne

villan-scott

I think you can appreciate that Targett has done great for Villa and in cases such as last season risen above any expectations there were for him initially while still believing that Digne is a noticable and probably necessary upgrade in this system.

Just at a basic level he has better end product and how often they get dribbled past is night and day, which is particularly key at full back where you're going to get faced up 1-v-1 more than other positions and leave the defense vulnerable if you're beaten. On top of that there's the experience factor, from the international caps to being a consistently good performer for several teams that have all been better than Villa at that point in time.

And with all that said it still doesn't close the door on Targett completely, just offers him stiff competition for a position where he doesn't really have any, especially given that Gerrard doesn't seem to primarily see Young as a full back since he came in. Would be all for this signing tbh.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Then why invest millions in our youth set up?

With this logic we should be playing the kids now.

The fruits of that investment will come later hopefully—but maybe in about 4/5 years. It's not really part of the conversation of improving our squad now and trying to raise Aston Villa up the table. I'd imagine the youth system will also benefit from Villa being a bigger deal and a more serious club.

26 minutes ago, useless said:

Why are our fans so obssessed with comparing us to Everton? It's not just this latest 'doing an Everton' thing either, I've never understood it, I'm sure their fans don't constantly go on about how they're similar to us.

Also signing a few players in their later twenties isn't doing an Everton, especially Martinez and Mings were the only players before that that we had in the squad in their late twenties, even now Ashley Young is the only player we've got in his thirties. Not sure why people are talking as if signing players in their lates twenties is really uncommon, and that it's only Everton that have done it.

And of course our wages are going to go up, that will be a natural consequence of trying to reach the next level, we aren't just going to magically get to where our owners want by not paying the money it will take to get there, Everton are one example of team that tried it and failed, just because they did so, doesn't mean to say we will.

We have built a foundation, a squad that can now take these sort of additions. 

Everton just haven't had the right manager for long enough to build what we have or to get where we are going.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bose said:

There have been PLENTY of times to be miserable as a Villa fan. Struggling to see the negatives now? NSWE are not Lerner or MON.

It isn't as much about being negative as it is about feeling a little concerned.

We're currently going the older players on high wages route.

Been plenty of times that hasn't worked well for clubs.

• Confused 1

Our academy is going to be a key feature of what we're trying to do, it's only this week that Liam Bramley the manager of the FA Youth Cup winning team was promoted to first team coach, he's promoted for the very purpose of working with our academy players that are being promoted to the first team.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, villalad21 said:

It isn't as much about being negative as it is about feeling a little concerned.

We're currently going the older players on high wages route.

Been plenty of times that hasn't worked well for clubs.

4 older players? Hardly a lot is it, Buendia and Bailey summer signings under 25. I also remember you complaining about Jacob Ramsey and Chuckwemeka playing.

3 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

The reality is, the board saw a horrendous run of results in 2021 and has decided to invest in proven quality. If that means we finish in the upper half of the table so be it. The idea that we’ve reversed anything policy wise is reactionary nonsense. It’s about ensuring the club trajectory remains upwards. Why are some rubbishing genuine quality? This isn’t the days of giving the likes of Luke Young massive contracts. Trust the process. Gerrard and the board and the team identified a major weakness and will improve it. We’ve been crying out for a new LB for over a year now. 

I think the concerning thing for me is I dont think the last regime would have been allowed to sign similar players for the wages (whether they could attract them is another matter) 

21 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I really don't get this discussion.

I'd imagine there are many examples of fitter, faster 32 year old footballers than 28/29 year olds.

I would like for someone to show me a statistical correlation between how good a footballer is on average at age of 27 Vs 29 in order to criticize Digne because he is in his late 20s.

Now, I get that if you are 33 you are not a footballing spring chicken. But Digne isnt 33, and he is a defender - which on average are longer lasting.

If he plays for us and he is a pensioner walking on stick on the left flank, fine. But I see no evidence to suggest this at this point.

And that's before we even get into the discussion of experience and game knowledge - isn't that worth something? Is 19 year old, speedy as heck Archer likely to get past Digne on the training ground much?

As someone in my mid-30s, I take it very personally when people start slagging off 25 year-olds for being too old 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Vibes at the moment.

20220110_100354.jpg

The number of times I’ve seen fans who want to throw mud at this Digne transfer by saying he’s 29 (he’s 28) is funny. 

Seems that the second people don’t like a transfer rumour the player automatically become at least a year older.

I'm just stumped as to why fans are moaning at potentially upgrading the squad. Many have been moaning about cover or lack of and competition for places. It looks like we are trying to remedy that and yet the moans grumble on. Nothing I have seen seems to suggest the owners are short of a few quid, clueless or wish to endanger the club through ego. I say roll with it and see what happens. 

• Like 2

Â