Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

6 hours ago, CVByrne said:

We can't actually sell him only loan him. Barcelona hold a 50% sell on clause and he has £12.75m remaining book value. So to break even financially we need to sell him for £25.5m.

This signing looks worse and worse with time. We can't sell him without making a big loss.

I wonder if it's actually better to sell him this summer and take the FFP hit now, while grealish money is still part of the calculations.

That would free up his wages and amortisation for next seasons when we are going to be more exposed. We would be saving £6m amortisation and £7m wages yearly. So even taking £13m netbook loss on him, evens itself out over one season.

Edited by Czarnikjak
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Or, we could actually keep him and use him next season. He's hardly useless. Just been a bit unlucky with injuries lately.

His injuries were all muscular, not impact.

I would say they have more to do with his physiology than luck. There's a reason why he has hardly played over last 5 years. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CVByrne said:

We can't actually sell him only loan him. Barcelona hold a 50% sell on clause and he has £12.75m remaining book value. So to break even financially we need to sell him for £25.5m. A loan to Saudi doesn't do anything as it essentially stops him playing any competitive football. 

He still has plenty to offer at this level and hopefully he can get fit so Emery can look to utilise him and get him playing well like he's managed to do with every other player. 

Remember the last games he played for us he was good. He deserved his start and goal against Arsenal. If he stays fit and isn't getting game time for us next season he becomes a loan option in January when teams might see him as a good option. A loan to France or Spain maybe

But this summer there's no real option to sell him.

Or we just take the financial hit in the accounts and FFP.

If someone is mad enough to offer £1 and take his contract in anyway it should be accepted.

He's finished.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Czarnikjak said:

This signing looks worse and worse with time. We can't sell him without making a big loss.

I wonder if it's actually better to sell him this summer and take the FFP hit now, while grealish money is still part of the calculations.

That would free up his wages and amortisation for next seasons when we are going to be more exposed. We would be saving £6m amortisation and £7m wages yearly. So even taking £13m netbook loss on him, evens itself out over one season.

I think it's better to play it by spreading the loss over the three years. Get a loan fee plus wages to offset as much of our amortisation and wages as we can each year. 

I can't see that working this summer due to his injuries. So I'd say we utilise him in the squad as best as we can and look for a loan move in January. Hope that's successful and then a season long loan can come after. 

That's the best way to manage this in FFP terms in my view. 

I think he's got pretty good potential to get back to playing good football, he's 31, hardly over the hill for a modern footballer if we can get his body right. A lot can change in an offseason with modern sports science and if his body was absolutely shot, we wouldn't have signed him in the first place. He's a perfect impact sub type.

His style of play seems to fit how Emery likes his teams to attack.

19 hours ago, MrBlack said:

If he's still got a 2/3 years left on his contract with us, he's not going to need the money (on top of what he's already earned previously).

He might want to be part of the Emery revival and think he's absolutely the best coach to get him back to his best. 

Whether his body physically let's him do that is a huge question, but if he wanted to try and fight for a place, and noone wants to pay to take him off our hands, I'd be inclined to keep him around for another season. 

Particularly one where we'll be expecting to play 12+ more games, and have limited FFP wiggle room. Selling him below his book value might leave us worse off this year. 

I agree with part of your post.

His contract length is insane though. It was reckless to have given him such lengthy terms imo.

Courtinho may well want to be part of the Emery revival, and Emery may well be the best coach for that. But does Emery see Courtinho being any use in moving forward with the club and able to cope with the physical demands? Which is the big question and that is what I'm not sure of myself about the player. Time will tell I guess.

8 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

The Saudi chat is going today, Guardian amongst others. Talk of a Gerrard reunion…!

I don't think the Saudi clubs are paying transfer fee's are they? All of the signings are free transfers. We can't let him go on a free there as we'd take a huge loss. So there is no way he can go to Saudi 

• Like 2

On 08/06/2023 at 07:44, mikeyjavfc said:

I love little Phil, he can still do things with a ball that no one else in the squad can, it’s just that these moments are few and faw between. I hope he gets fit, has a full pre-season with Unai and can make an impact on the team next year. 

He seems liked by his teammates too. It’s a shame because he was starting to show a bit of form before his injury. Would be great if he could get fit and be a valuable squad player.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

The Saudi chat is going today, Guardian amongst others. Talk of a Gerrard reunion…!

Steven Gerrard could be reunited with Philippe Coutinho at Al-Ettifaq after the former Brazil forward was offered a two-year deal. Gerrard, who signed Coutinho from Barcelona last January, has held talks over becoming the club’s manager this week.

Romelu Lukaku offered £20m a season by Al-Hilal as Al-Ahli target Mahrez | Transfer window | The Guardian

Could be a 2 year loan deal. I'm worried if the Saudi clubs start paying transfer fees. They'll spend 100m on a Newcastle player and ruin any idea of FFP

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Could be a 2 year loan deal. I'm worried if the Saudi clubs start paying transfer fees. They'll spend 100m on a Newcastle player and ruin any idea of FFP

Gerrard going to the retirement league before his management career has actually even started😂😂😂

25 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Gerrard going to the retirement league before his management career has actually even started😂😂😂

I dont rate him as a coach like any Villa fan, but i doubt he cares, an who would. He'll get treated like royalty over there with probably a 6 million a year salary. Or should he go manage Wigan Atheletic in the championship. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I dont rate him as a coach like any Villa fan, but i doubt he cares, an who would. He'll get treated like royalty over there with probably a 6 million a year salary. Or should he go manage Wigan Atheletic in the championship. 

I have news for you on Wigan...

• Haha 1

Â